Обсуждение: Cleanup of /contrib

Cleanup of /contrib

Дата:
I am cleaning up /contrib by adding "autocommit = 'on'" and making it
more consistent.  Should I be adding this too:
-- Adjust this setting to control where the objects get created.SET search_path = public;

and doing all object creation in one transaction, like /contrib/cube
does?

Pennsylvania19073

Re: Cleanup of /contrib

Дата:
> I am cleaning up /contrib by adding "autocommit = 'on'" and making it
> more consistent.  Should I be adding this too:

>     -- Adjust this setting to control where the objects get created.
>     SET search_path = public;

Yes, that would be a good idea.  Without that, the objects might well
get created in the owning user's private schema; which most of the time
would be unhelpful.  I'm not thrilled with having to edit the script
if you do happen to want them in a non-public schema, but I have not
thought of a better approach yet.  (Anyone?)

> and doing all object creation in one transaction, like /contrib/cube
> does?

The one-transaction thing seems unnecessary to me, but if you like it...
        regards, tom lane

Re: Cleanup of /contrib

Tom Lane wrote:
> > I am cleaning up /contrib by adding "autocommit = 'on'" and making it
> > more consistent.  Should I be adding this too:
>
> >     -- Adjust this setting to control where the objects get created.
> >     SET search_path = public;
>
> Yes, that would be a good idea.  Without that, the objects might well
> get created in the owning user's private schema; which most of the time
> would be unhelpful.  I'm not thrilled with having to edit the script
> if you do happen to want them in a non-public schema, but I have not
> thought of a better approach yet.  (Anyone?)
>
> > and doing all object creation in one transaction, like /contrib/cube
> > does?
>
> The one-transaction thing seems unnecessary to me, but if you like it...

Some have it, some don't. I will make it consistent, at least.

Pennsylvania19073

Re: Cleanup of /contrib

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Bruce Momjian writes:

> I am cleaning up /contrib by adding "autocommit = 'on'"

Is everyone in the world now required to add "autocommit = on" in all
scripts, interfaces, programs, applications that are not strictly personal
use?  Is there no better solution?

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net

Re: Cleanup of /contrib

Дата:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Bruce Momjian writes:
>
> > I am cleaning up /contrib by adding "autocommit = 'on'"
>
> Is everyone in the world now required to add "autocommit = on" in all
> scripts, interfaces, programs, applications that are not strictly personal
> use?  Is there no better solution?

If there is, I would love to hear it.  If you write a script that
creates/modifies objects, you either have to use "autocommit = on" or
use transactions.
Pennsylvania19073