Обсуждение: @(#)Mordred Labs advisory 0x0002: Buffer overflow in PostgreSQL

@(#)Mordred Labs advisory 0x0002: Buffer overflow in PostgreSQL

От
Sir Mordred The Traitor
Дата:
Seems like this one was lost or was filtered out...

//@(#)Mordred Labs advisory 0x0002

Release data: 19/08/02
Name: Buffer overflow in PostgreSQL
Versions affected: all versions
Risk: high

There exists a buffer overflow in a SET TIME ZONE command, that
allows an attacker to execute malicious code.

--[ Details:
Upon executing the SET TIME ZONE 'STRING' command, parse_timezone()
function is invoked,
which will overwrite a static buffer tzbuf with the supplied string.
Look at the src/backend/commands/variable.c if you need something to laugh
at.

--[ How to reproduce:
psql> SET TIMEZONE to 'XXXXXX...very long string...XXXXX'
NOTICE:  Buffer Leak: [27191] (freeNext=0, freePrev=0, rel=0/0, blockNum=0,
flags=0x0, refcount=0 128)
NOTICE:  Buffer Leak: [27192] (freeNext=0, freePrev=0, rel=0/0, blockNum=0,
flags=0x0, refcount=0 1249)
NOTICE:  Buffer Leak: [27193] (freeNext=0, freePrev=0, rel=0/0, blockNum=0,
flags=0x0, refcount=0 1651799137)
NOTICE:  Buffer Leak: [27194] (freeNext=0, freePrev=0, rel=0/0, blockNum=0,
flags=0x0, refcount=0 1818326649)
pqReadData() -- backend closed the channel unexpectedly.       This probably means the backend terminated abnormally
  before or while processing the request.

--[ Solution:
Just wait...

This letter has been delivered unencrypted. We'd like to remind you that
the full protection of e-mail correspondence is provided by S-mail
encryption mechanisms if only both, Sender and Recipient use S-mail.
Register at S-mail.com: http://www.s-mail.com/inf/en

Re: @(#)Mordred Labs advisory 0x0002: Buffer overflow in PostgreSQL

От
Neil Conway
Дата:
Sir Mordred The Traitor <mordred@s-mail.com> writes:
> There exists a buffer overflow in a SET TIME ZONE command, that
> allows an attacker to execute malicious code.

Here's a patch for the problem. I also fixed some other potential
buffer overruns nearby, and added a little paranoia to another routine
that uses a statically sized buffer.

Thanks for the report.

Cheers,

Neil

Re: @(#)Mordred Labs advisory 0x0002: Buffer overflow in PostgreSQL

От
Neil Conway
Дата:
Neil Conway <neilc@samurai.com> writes:
> Sir Mordred The Traitor <mordred@s-mail.com> writes:
> > There exists a buffer overflow in a SET TIME ZONE command, that
> > allows an attacker to execute malicious code.
>
> Here's a patch for the problem. I also fixed some other potential
> buffer overruns nearby, and added a little paranoia to another routine
> that uses a statically sized buffer.

The handling of the TZ environmental variable is subject to a buffer
overrun. To see the problem, try:

export
TZ=XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
postmaster -D /foo/bar&
psql

You get:

NOTICE:  Buffer Leak: [26914] (freeNext=0, freePrev=0, rel=0/0, blockNum=0, flags=0x0, refcount=0 1)
[ lots more NOTICEs ]
psql: server closed the connection unexpectedly
    before or while processing the request.

A revised patch is attached that fixes the problem.

Cheers,

Neil

Re: @(#)Mordred Labs advisory 0x0002: Buffer overflow in PostgreSQL

Дата:

Neil Conway wrote:
> Sir Mordred The Traitor <mordred@s-mail.com> writes:
> > There exists a buffer overflow in a SET TIME ZONE command, that
> > allows an attacker to execute malicious code.
>
> Here's a patch for the problem. I also fixed some other potential
> buffer overruns nearby, and added a little paranoia to another routine
> that uses a statically sized buffer.
>
> Thanks for the report.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Neil
>
> --
> Neil Conway <neilc@samurai.com> || PGP Key ID: DB3C29FC

[ Attachment, skipping... ]

> http://archives.postgresql.org

Pennsylvania19073

Re: @(#)Mordred Labs advisory 0x0002: Buffer overflow in PostgreSQL

Дата:

Neil Conway wrote:
> Neil Conway <neilc@samurai.com> writes:
> > Sir Mordred The Traitor <mordred@s-mail.com> writes:
> > > There exists a buffer overflow in a SET TIME ZONE command, that
> > > allows an attacker to execute malicious code.
> >
> > Here's a patch for the problem. I also fixed some other potential
> > buffer overruns nearby, and added a little paranoia to another routine
> > that uses a statically sized buffer.
>
> The handling of the TZ environmental variable is subject to a buffer
> overrun. To see the problem, try:
>
> export
TZ=XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> postmaster -D /foo/bar&
> psql
>
> You get:
>
> NOTICE:  Buffer Leak: [26914] (freeNext=0, freePrev=0, rel=0/0, blockNum=0, flags=0x0, refcount=0 1)
> [ lots more NOTICEs ]
> psql: server closed the connection unexpectedly
>     This probably means the server terminated abnormally
>     before or while processing the request.
>
> A revised patch is attached that fixes the problem.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Neil
>
> --
> Neil Conway <neilc@samurai.com> || PGP Key ID: DB3C29FC

[ Attachment, skipping... ]

Pennsylvania19073

Re: @(#)Mordred Labs advisory 0x0002: Buffer overflow in PostgreSQL

Дата:
Neil Conway <neilc@samurai.com> writes:
> The handling of the TZ environmental variable is subject to a buffer
> overrun.

This problem is long gone in current sources, no?
        regards, tom lane

Tom Lane wrote:
> Neil Conway <neilc@samurai.com> writes:
> > The handling of the TZ environmental variable is subject to a buffer
> > overrun.
>
> This problem is long gone in current sources, no?

The patch looks like it does prevent some problems.

Pennsylvania19073

Re: @(#)Mordred Labs advisory 0x0002: Buffer overflow in PostgreSQL

От
Neil Conway
Дата:
> Tom Lane wrote:
> > Neil Conway <neilc@samurai.com> writes:
> > > The handling of the TZ environmental variable is subject to a buffer
> > > overrun.
> >
> > This problem is long gone in current sources, no?

I quickly tested current sources, and it seems the bug is fixed. I
only fixed it to begin with because I saw it while fixing the reported
problem.

> The patch looks like it does prevent some problems.

Yes: namely,  it fixes the bug in REL7_2_STABLE.

Cheers,

Neil

Re: @(#)Mordred Labs advisory 0x0002: Buffer overflow in PostgreSQL

Дата:
What would you like done with the patch you submitted?

Neil Conway wrote:
> > Tom Lane wrote:
> > >
> > > This problem is long gone in current sources, no?
>
> I quickly tested current sources, and it seems the bug is fixed. I
> only fixed it to begin with because I saw it while fixing the reported
> problem.
>
> > The patch looks like it does prevent some problems.
>
> Yes: namely,  it fixes the bug in REL7_2_STABLE.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Neil
>
> --
> Neil Conway <neilc@samurai.com> || PGP Key ID: DB3C29FC

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Pennsylvania19073

Re: @(#)Mordred Labs advisory 0x0002: Buffer overflow in PostgreSQL

От
Neil Conway
Дата:
> What would you like done with the patch you submitted?

I'd like to see it applied to CVS HEAD and REL7_2_STABLE.

Cheers,

Neil

Re: @(#)Mordred Labs advisory 0x0002: Buffer overflow in PostgreSQL

От
Neil Conway
Дата:
Neil Conway <neilc@samurai.com> writes:
> > What would you like done with the patch you submitted?
>
> I'd like to see it applied to CVS HEAD and REL7_2_STABLE.

Uh, sorry -- wrote that without thinking. I'd like to see the patch
applied to REL7_2_STABLE. I'll prepare a revised patch for CVS HEAD.

Cheers,

Neil

Re: @(#)Mordred Labs advisory 0x0002: Buffer overflow in PostgreSQL

Дата:
Neil Conway <neilc@samurai.com> writes:
> Neil Conway <neilc@samurai.com> writes:
>> Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> writes:
> What would you like done with the patch you submitted?
>>
>> I'd like to see it applied to CVS HEAD and REL7_2_STABLE.

> Uh, sorry -- wrote that without thinking. I'd like to see the patch
> applied to REL7_2_STABLE. I'll prepare a revised patch for CVS HEAD.

I'm pretty certain that no such patch is necessary for HEAD.
        regards, tom lane

Re: @(#)Mordred Labs advisory 0x0002: Buffer overflow in PostgreSQL

Дата:
OK, I have applied this to 7.2.X.

I have applied the lpad/rpad/repeat patch to CVS head.  I assume you do
not want the others applied to CVS head because the fixes are already present.

Neil Conway wrote:
> Neil Conway <neilc@samurai.com> writes:
> > > What would you like done with the patch you submitted?
> >
> > I'd like to see it applied to CVS HEAD and REL7_2_STABLE.
>
> Uh, sorry -- wrote that without thinking. I'd like to see the patch
> applied to REL7_2_STABLE. I'll prepare a revised patch for CVS HEAD.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Neil
>
> --
> Neil Conway <neilc@samurai.com> || PGP Key ID: DB3C29FC

Pennsylvania19073

Release of v7.2.2 (Was: Re: @(#)Mordred Labs ad...)

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
Are we all caught up now on the known bugs/fixes?  Would it be reasonably
safe to do up a quick v7.2.2 Security Fix Release tomorrow afternoon?

On Thu, 22 Aug 2002, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> OK, I have applied this to 7.2.X.
>
> I have applied the lpad/rpad/repeat patch to CVS head.  I assume you do
> not want the others applied to CVS head because the fixes are already present.

> Neil Conway wrote:
> > Neil Conway <neilc@samurai.com> writes:
> > >
> > > I'd like to see it applied to CVS HEAD and REL7_2_STABLE.
> >
> > Uh, sorry -- wrote that without thinking. I'd like to see the patch
> > applied to REL7_2_STABLE. I'll prepare a revised patch for CVS HEAD.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Neil
> >
> > --
> > Neil Conway <neilc@samurai.com> || PGP Key ID: DB3C29FC

Re: Release of v7.2.2 (Was: Re: @(#)Mordred Labs ad...)

Дата:
"Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org> writes:
> Are we all caught up now on the known bugs/fixes?  Would it be reasonably
> safe to do up a quick v7.2.2 Security Fix Release tomorrow afternoon?

Still need to do a release-history entry and version-stamp, of course.
I will do a diff of the 7.2 branch tree this afternoon and make sure
the code looks good.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Release of v7.2.2 (Was: Re: @(#)Mordred Labs ad...)

От
Oleg Bartunov
Дата:
Tom,

I think it's worth to include patch for query planner which
fixes using indices with predicates for join plans. We found it's
quite useful.

http://fts.postgresql.org/db/mw/msg.html?mid=1018153
Oleg
On Thu, 22 Aug 2002, Tom Lane wrote:

> "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org> writes:
> > Are we all caught up now on the known bugs/fixes?  Would it be reasonably
> > safe to do up a quick v7.2.2 Security Fix Release tomorrow afternoon?
>
> Still need to do a release-history entry and version-stamp, of course.
> I will do a diff of the 7.2 branch tree this afternoon and make sure
> the code looks good.
>
>             regards, tom lane

Regards,    Oleg
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83

Re: Release of v7.2.2 (Was: Re: @(#)Mordred Labs ad...)

Дата:
I was going to ask that too.  I need to make up a list of 7.2.2 changes,
and there are quite a number of them.  I will get the list together today.

Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> Are we all caught up now on the known bugs/fixes?  Would it be reasonably
> safe to do up a quick v7.2.2 Security Fix Release tomorrow afternoon?
>
> On Thu, 22 Aug 2002, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>

> > OK, I have applied this to 7.2.X.
> >
> > I have applied the lpad/rpad/repeat patch to CVS head.  I assume you do
> > not want the others applied to CVS head because the fixes are already present.

> > Neil Conway wrote:

> > > Uh, sorry -- wrote that without thinking. I'd like to see the patch
> > > applied to REL7_2_STABLE. I'll prepare a revised patch for CVS HEAD.
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > >
> > > Neil
> > >
> > > --
> > > Neil Conway <neilc@samurai.com> || PGP Key ID: DB3C29FC

> > > TIP 5: Have you checked our extensive FAQ?
> > >
> > > http://www.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/faq.html
> > >

> > --
> >   pgman@candle.pha.pa.us               |  (610) 359-1001
> >   +  If your life is a hard drive,     |  13 Roberts Road
> >   +  Christ can be your backup.        |  Newtown Square, Pennsylvania 19073

> > subscribe-nomail command to majordomo@postgresql.org so that your

Pennsylvania19073

Re: Release of v7.2.2 (Was: Re: @(#)Mordred Labs ad...)

Дата:
Thanks, Tom.  That is a big help. I will do the release history and
version stamping.

Tom Lane wrote:
> "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org> writes:
> > Are we all caught up now on the known bugs/fixes?  Would it be reasonably
> > safe to do up a quick v7.2.2 Security Fix Release tomorrow afternoon?
>
> Still need to do a release-history entry and version-stamp, of course.
> I will do a diff of the 7.2 branch tree this afternoon and make sure
> the code looks good.
>
>             regards, tom lane

Pennsylvania19073

Re: Release of v7.2.2 (Was: Re: @(#)Mordred Labs ad...)

От
Justin Clift
Дата:
Hi everyone,

It probably makes sense to wait about a week until releasing 7.2.2, even
if we get assembled anything else that is needed.  Sir Mordred appears
to be taking a look through our 7.2.x code about now and that probably
means there's a good chance we'll hear of other patches that will need
to be applied to the 7.2.x branch.

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

Oleg Bartunov wrote:

> Tom,
>
> I think it's worth to include patch for query planner which
> fixes using indices with predicates for join plans. We found it's
> quite useful.
>
> http://fts.postgresql.org/db/mw/msg.html?mid=1018153
>
>         Oleg

first group; there was less competition there."  - Indira Gandhi

Re: Release of v7.2.2 (Was: Re: @(#)Mordred Labs ad...)

Дата:
Justin Clift <justin@postgresql.org> writes:
> It probably makes sense to wait about a week until releasing 7.2.2, even
> if we get assembled anything else that is needed.

I think we should go ahead and push it out; by the end of next week
we'll be trying to wrap 7.3 beta, and the confusion factor for pushing
out two releases at the same time will be much too high.

I think it is fairly unlikely that we will find anything else in the
next week that is exploitable indirectly through a web-app in the same
way that the date buffer overrun bug could be.  Most of the sorts of
bugs that I'm expecting to hear about will require being able to issue
SQL commands --- and if someone can issue arbitrary SQL commands, there
are plenty of ways to create a DOS situation.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Release of v7.2.2 (Was: Re: @(#)Mordred Labs ad...)

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Thu, 22 Aug 2002, Tom Lane wrote:

> Justin Clift <justin@postgresql.org> writes:
> > It probably makes sense to wait about a week until releasing 7.2.2, even
> > if we get assembled anything else that is needed.
>
> I think we should go ahead and push it out; by the end of next week
> we'll be trying to wrap 7.3 beta, and the confusion factor for pushing
> out two releases at the same time will be much too high.
>
> I think it is fairly unlikely that we will find anything else in the
> next week that is exploitable indirectly through a web-app in the same
> way that the date buffer overrun bug could be.  Most of the sorts of
> bugs that I'm expecting to hear about will require being able to issue
> SQL commands --- and if someone can issue arbitrary SQL commands, there
> are plenty of ways to create a DOS situation.

And, worse comes to worse, we *can* issue a v7.2.3 if further security
issues are found before v7.3 is fully released ...

Re: Release of v7.2.2 (Was: Re: @(#)Mordred Labs ad...)

Дата:
Done, but Tom.

Oleg Bartunov wrote:
> Tom,
>
> I think it's worth to include patch for query planner which
> fixes using indices with predicates for join plans. We found it's
> quite useful.
>
> http://fts.postgresql.org/db/mw/msg.html?mid=1018153
>
>     Oleg
> On Thu, 22 Aug 2002, Tom Lane wrote:
>
> > "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org> writes:
> > > Are we all caught up now on the known bugs/fixes?  Would it be reasonably
> > > safe to do up a quick v7.2.2 Security Fix Release tomorrow afternoon?
> >
> > Still need to do a release-history entry and version-stamp, of course.
> > I will do a diff of the 7.2 branch tree this afternoon and make sure
> > the code looks good.
> >
> >             regards, tom lane

> >     (send "unregister YourEmailAddressHere" to majordomo@postgresql.org)
> >

>     Regards,
>         Oleg
> Oleg Bartunov, sci.researcher, hostmaster of AstroNet,
> Sternberg Astronomical Institute, Moscow University (Russia)
> Internet: oleg@sai.msu.su, http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/
> phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83

Pennsylvania19073

Re: Release of v7.2.2 (Was: Re: @(#)Mordred Labs ad...)

От
Lamar Owen
Дата:
On Thursday 22 August 2002 10:32 am, Justin Clift wrote:
> It probably makes sense to wait about a week until releasing 7.2.2, even
> if we get assembled anything else that is needed.  Sir Mordred appears
> to be taking a look through our 7.2.x code about now and that probably
> means there's a good chance we'll hear of other patches that will need
> to be applied to the 7.2.x branch.

FWIW, it will be Monday at the earliest before I can dedicate the time to
build a 7.2.2 release RPMset.  If a preliminary tarball was available
Saturday, I might could have an RPM uploaded Monday morning.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio

I said:
> Still need to do a release-history entry and version-stamp, of course.
> I will do a diff of the 7.2 branch tree this afternoon and make sure
> the code looks good.

Code checked, regression tests run.  Bruce, the ball's in your court ...
        regards, tom lane

Tom Lane wrote:
> I said:
> > Still need to do a release-history entry and version-stamp, of course.
> > I will do a diff of the 7.2 branch tree this afternoon and make sure
> > the code looks good.
>
> Code checked, regression tests run.  Bruce, the ball's in your court ...

OK, I am getting autoconf warnings with the 7.2.2 configure.in.  This is
with autoconf 2.53.  Do I need a different version for this release?

(3) autoconf
configure.in:139: /usr/contrib/bin/gm4: Non-numeric argument to built-in `divert'
configure.in:146: /usr/contrib/bin/gm4: Non-numeric argument to built-in `divert'
configure.in:149: /usr/contrib/bin/gm4: Non-numeric argument to built-in `divert'
configure.in:158: /usr/contrib/bin/gm4: Non-numeric argument to built-in `divert'
configure.in:168: /usr/contrib/bin/gm4: Non-numeric argument to built-in `divert'
configure.in:200: /usr/contrib/bin/gm4: Non-numeric argument to built-in `divert'
configure.in:212: /usr/contrib/bin/gm4: Non-numeric argument to built-in `divert'
configure.in:223: /usr/contrib/bin/gm4: Non-numeric argument to built-in `divert'
configure.in:236: /usr/contrib/bin/gm4: Non-numeric argument to built-in `divert'
configure.in:246: /usr/contrib/bin/gm4: Non-numeric argument to built-in `divert'
configure.in:253: /usr/contrib/bin/gm4: Non-numeric argument to built-in `divert'
configure.in:261: /usr/contrib/bin/gm4: Non-numeric argument to built-in `divert'
configure.in:311: /usr/contrib/bin/gm4: Non-numeric argument to built-in `divert'
configure.in:320: /usr/contrib/bin/gm4: Non-numeric argument to built-in `divert'
configure.in:360: /usr/contrib/bin/gm4: Non-numeric argument to built-in `divert'
configure.in:367: /usr/contrib/bin/gm4: Non-numeric argument to built-in `divert'
configure.in:378: /usr/contrib/bin/gm4: Non-numeric argument to built-in `divert'
configure.in:383: /usr/contrib/bin/gm4: Non-numeric argument to built-in `divert'
configure.in:389: /usr/contrib/bin/gm4: Non-numeric argument to built-in `divert'
configure.in:397: /usr/contrib/bin/gm4: Non-numeric argument to built-in `divert'
configure.in:411: /usr/contrib/bin/gm4: Non-numeric argument to built-in `divert'
configure.in:442: /usr/contrib/bin/gm4: Non-numeric argument to built-in `divert'
configure.in:465: /usr/contrib/bin/gm4: Non-numeric argument to built-in `divert'
configure.in:484: /usr/contrib/bin/gm4: Non-numeric argument to built-in `divert'
configure.in:495: /usr/contrib/bin/gm4: Non-numeric argument to built-in `divert'
configure.in:517: /usr/contrib/bin/gm4: Non-numeric argument to built-in `divert'
configure.in:533: /usr/contrib/bin/gm4: Non-numeric argument to built-in `divert'
configure.in:534: /usr/contrib/bin/gm4: Non-numeric argument to built-in `divert'
configure.in:535: /usr/contrib/bin/gm4: Non-numeric argument to built-in `divert'
configure.in:558: /usr/contrib/bin/gm4: Non-numeric argument to built-in `divert'
configure.in:621: /usr/contrib/bin/gm4: Non-numeric argument to built-in `divert'
configure.in:972: /usr/contrib/bin/gm4: Non-numeric argument to built-in `divert'
configure.in:292: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_PROG_CC_WORKS

Pennsylvania19073

Re: Release of v7.2.2 (Was: Re: @(#)Mordred Labs ad...)

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
We're still using 2.53 on the main server:

%autoconf --version
autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.53
Written by David J. MacKenzie and Akim Demaille.

And I just autoconf'd after removing the odbc stuff for the HEAD branch ...

> [...]

> configure.in:484: /usr/contrib/bin/gm4: Non-numeric argument to built-in `divert'
> configure.in:495: /usr/contrib/bin/gm4: Non-numeric argument to built-in `divert'
> configure.in:517: /usr/contrib/bin/gm4: Non-numeric argument to built-in `divert'
> configure.in:533: /usr/contrib/bin/gm4: Non-numeric argument to built-in `divert'
> configure.in:534: /usr/contrib/bin/gm4: Non-numeric argument to built-in `divert'
> configure.in:535: /usr/contrib/bin/gm4: Non-numeric argument to built-in `divert'
> configure.in:558: /usr/contrib/bin/gm4: Non-numeric argument to built-in `divert'
> configure.in:621: /usr/contrib/bin/gm4: Non-numeric argument to built-in `divert'
> configure.in:972: /usr/contrib/bin/gm4: Non-numeric argument to built-in `divert'
> configure.in:292: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_PROG_CC_WORKS

Дата:
No, the problem is with the 7.2.2 branch, REL7_2_STABLE.

Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> [...]
> > configure.in:517: /usr/contrib/bin/gm4: Non-numeric argument to built-in `divert'
> > configure.in:533: /usr/contrib/bin/gm4: Non-numeric argument to built-in `divert'
> > configure.in:534: /usr/contrib/bin/gm4: Non-numeric argument to built-in `divert'
> > configure.in:535: /usr/contrib/bin/gm4: Non-numeric argument to built-in `divert'
> > configure.in:558: /usr/contrib/bin/gm4: Non-numeric argument to built-in `divert'
> > configure.in:621: /usr/contrib/bin/gm4: Non-numeric argument to built-in `divert'
> > configure.in:972: /usr/contrib/bin/gm4: Non-numeric argument to built-in `divert'
> > configure.in:292: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_PROG_CC_WORKS
> >

> > --
> >   pgman@candle.pha.pa.us               |  (610) 359-1001
> >   +  If your life is a hard drive,     |  13 Roberts Road
> >   +  Christ can be your backup.        |  Newtown Square, Pennsylvania 19073

Дата:
> OK, I am getting autoconf warnings with the 7.2.2 configure.in.  This is
> with autoconf 2.53.  Do I need a different version for this release?

7.2 was built with autoconf 2.13.  Simple answer: don't re-autoconf.
        regards, tom lane

Tom Lane wrote:
> > OK, I am getting autoconf warnings with the 7.2.2 configure.in.  This is
> > with autoconf 2.53.  Do I need a different version for this release?
>
> 7.2 was built with autoconf 2.13.  Simple answer: don't re-autoconf.

Good idea.

Pennsylvania19073

Re: Release of v7.2.2 (Was: Re: @(#)Mordred Labs ad...)

Дата:
Done.

Tom Lane wrote:
> I said:
> > Still need to do a release-history entry and version-stamp, of course.
> > I will do a diff of the 7.2 branch tree this afternoon and make sure
> > the code looks good.
>
> Code checked, regression tests run.  Bruce, the ball's in your court ...
>
>             regards, tom lane

Pennsylvania19073

Re: Release of v7.2.2 (Was: Re: @(#)Mordred Labs ad...)

От
Neil Conway
Дата:
> Done.

I've attached some improvements to HISTORY: fixed some obvious typos,
added info on Tom's partial index backpatch, and elaborated on the
nature of the fixed security problems.

Cheers,

Neil

Re: Release of v7.2.2 (Was: Re: @(#)Mordred Labs ad...)

Дата:
> Done.

Looks good here, except I think you should accept Neil's edits of the
history entries.  Also, don't forget to forward-patch the 7.2.2 release
info into the CVS tip version of release.sgml.

Is it appropriate to back-patch the current state of the FAQ into 7.2.2?
        regards, tom lane

Re: Release of v7.2.2 (Was: Re: @(#)Mordred Labs ad...)

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Thu, 22 Aug 2002, Tom Lane wrote:

> > Done.
>
> Looks good here, except I think you should accept Neil's edits of the
> history entries.

Agreed, that's what I was waiting on :)

Re: Release of v7.2.2 (Was: Re: @(#)Mordred Labs ad...)

От
"Christopher Kings-Lynne"
Дата:
> On Thu, 22 Aug 2002, Tom Lane wrote:

> > > Done.
> >
> > Looks good here, except I think you should accept Neil's edits of the
> > history entries.
>
> Agreed, that's what I was waiting on :)

Doing a test build of 7.2.2 on FreeBSD/Alpha atm...

Chris

Re: Release of v7.2.2 (Was: Re: @(#)Mordred Labs ad...)

Дата:
Patch applied.  Thanks.

Tom Lane wrote:
> > Done.
>
> Looks good here, except I think you should accept Neil's edits of the
> history entries.  Also, don't forget to forward-patch the 7.2.2 release
> info into the CVS tip version of release.sgml.

Done.  I actually took a break from the computer for a few hours to
clear my head.

> Is it appropriate to back-patch the current state of the FAQ into 7.2.2?

Already done.

Pennsylvania19073

Re: Release of v7.2.2 (Was: Re: @(#)Mordred Labs ad...)

От
"Christopher Kings-Lynne"
Дата:
All 79 tests passed on FreeBSD/Alpha.  Good to go :)

Chris

> > > Looks good here, except I think you should accept Neil's edits of the
> > > history entries.
> >
> > Agreed, that's what I was waiting on :)
>
> Doing a test build of 7.2.2 on FreeBSD/Alpha atm...

Re: Release of v7.2.2 (Was: Re: @(#)Mordred Labs ad...)

От
Alessio Bragadini
Дата:
Builds and runs fine under HP/Compaq Tru64 aka Digital Unix aka OSF/1
(this is getting difficult...) version 4.0f/g using standard cc:

template1=# SELECT version();                           version
----------------------------------------------------------------PostgreSQL 7.2.2 on alphaev56-dec-osf4.0g, compiled by
cc-std

$ gmake check

======================All 79 tests passed.

Same using GCC:

======================All 79 tests passed.

--
Alessio F. Bragadini        alessio@albourne.com
APL Financial Services        http://village.albourne.com

"It is more complicated than you think"    -- The Eighth Networking Truth from RFC 1925