Обсуждение: Module Portability

Module Portability

От
Paul Ramsey
Дата:
All this talk of modularity reminds me of a pet peeve: doing
dump/restore upgrades when your databases include extension functions is
highly clunky, because extension functions include the fully qualified
path to the linking library. So, for example

create function geometry_in(opaque)       RETURNS GEOMETRY  AS '/opt/pgsql72/lib/contrib/libpostgis.so.0.7'  LANGUAGE
'c'with (isstrict);

If I do a pg_dumpall on an old database and try to pipe into a new
database, things can get messy pretty fast. It would be nice if pgsql
had a 'default library location' which it tried to load linking
libraries from, in much the same way apache uses libexec. Then my
definition could just be:

create function geometry_in(opaque)       RETURNS GEOMETRY  AS 'libpostgis.so.0.7'  LANGUAGE 'c' with (isstrict);

Which would be alot more portable across installations. I mean, right
now I can render my database inoperative just by moving my executable
installation tree to a new path. Nice.

--      __    /    | Paul Ramsey    | Refractions Research    | Email: pramsey@refractions.net    | Phone: (250)
885-0632   \_

Re: Module Portability

От
Oleg Bartunov
Дата:
Contrib modules does have such possibility.
For example:

CREATE FUNCTION ltree_in(opaque)
RETURNS opaque
AS 'MODULE_PATHNAME'
LANGUAGE 'c' with (isstrict);

Oleg
On Thu, 1 Aug 2002, Paul Ramsey wrote:

> All this talk of modularity reminds me of a pet peeve: doing
> dump/restore upgrades when your databases include extension functions is
> highly clunky, because extension functions include the fully qualified
> path to the linking library. So, for example
>
> create function geometry_in(opaque)
>         RETURNS GEOMETRY
>    AS '/opt/pgsql72/lib/contrib/libpostgis.so.0.7'
>    LANGUAGE 'c' with (isstrict);
>
> If I do a pg_dumpall on an old database and try to pipe into a new
> database, things can get messy pretty fast. It would be nice if pgsql
> had a 'default library location' which it tried to load linking
> libraries from, in much the same way apache uses libexec. Then my
> definition could just be:
>
> create function geometry_in(opaque)
>         RETURNS GEOMETRY
>    AS 'libpostgis.so.0.7'
>    LANGUAGE 'c' with (isstrict);
>
> Which would be alot more portable across installations. I mean, right
> now I can render my database inoperative just by moving my executable
> installation tree to a new path. Nice.

Regards,    Oleg
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83

Re: Module Portability

От
Paul Ramsey
Дата:
Correct me if I am wrong (I often am) but isn't MODULE_PATHNAME replaced
by the fully qualified module path during the build process? I mean, the
source code is movable, but a running installed system, with real data,
is not movable, because MODULE_PATHNAME gets mapped to
/usr/local/mypgsql/lib/blah.so or somesuch.

Oleg Bartunov wrote:

> Contrib modules does have such possibility.
> For example:
>
> CREATE FUNCTION ltree_in(opaque)
> RETURNS opaque
> AS 'MODULE_PATHNAME'
> LANGUAGE 'c' with (isstrict);
>
>         Oleg
> On Thu, 1 Aug 2002, Paul Ramsey wrote:
>
> > All this talk of modularity reminds me of a pet peeve: doing
> > dump/restore upgrades when your databases include extension functions is
> > highly clunky, because extension functions include the fully qualified
> > path to the linking library. So, for example
> >
> > create function geometry_in(opaque)
> >         RETURNS GEOMETRY
> >    AS '/opt/pgsql72/lib/contrib/libpostgis.so.0.7'
> >    LANGUAGE 'c' with (isstrict);
> >
> > If I do a pg_dumpall on an old database and try to pipe into a new
> > database, things can get messy pretty fast. It would be nice if pgsql
> > had a 'default library location' which it tried to load linking
> > libraries from, in much the same way apache uses libexec. Then my
> > definition could just be:
> >
> > create function geometry_in(opaque)
> >         RETURNS GEOMETRY
> >    AS 'libpostgis.so.0.7'
> >    LANGUAGE 'c' with (isstrict);
> >
> > Which would be alot more portable across installations. I mean, right
> > now I can render my database inoperative just by moving my executable
> > installation tree to a new path. Nice.
> >

>         Regards,
>                 Oleg
> Oleg Bartunov, sci.researcher, hostmaster of AstroNet,
> Sternberg Astronomical Institute, Moscow University (Russia)
> Internet: oleg@sai.msu.su, http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/
> phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83

--      __    /    | Paul Ramsey    | Refractions Research    | Email: pramsey@refractions.net    | Phone: (250)
885-0632   \_

Re: Module Portability

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Paul Ramsey writes:

> It would be nice if pgsql had a 'default library location'

Sure.  That's why it was implemented in 7.2.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net

Re: Module Portability

От
Paul Ramsey
Дата:
Color me embarrased. /

Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Paul Ramsey writes:
>
> > It would be nice if pgsql had a 'default library location'
>
> Sure.  That's why it was implemented in 7.2.
>
> --
> Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net

--      __    /    | Paul Ramsey    | Refractions Research    | Email: pramsey@refractions.net    | Phone: (250)
885-0632   \_