Обсуждение: Weird manual page

Weird manual page

От
"Christopher Kings-Lynne"
Дата:
What's with this manual page?

http://candle.pha.pa.us/main/writings/pgsql/sgml/gist.html

Seems like it's almost accidental - like a copied and pasted email.  It
doesn't look like it should be there?

Chris

Re: Weird manual page

Дата:
> What's with this manual page?
> http://candle.pha.pa.us/main/writings/pgsql/sgml/gist.html

GiST is, um, *very* poorly documented.  Feel free to submit doc patches.
(I've just committed a few tidbits in xindex.sgml, but much more work
is needed.)
        regards, tom lane

Re: Weird manual page

От
"Christopher Kings-Lynne"
Дата:
> > What's with this manual page?
> > http://candle.pha.pa.us/main/writings/pgsql/sgml/gist.html
>
> GiST is, um, *very* poorly documented.  Feel free to submit doc patches.
> (I've just committed a few tidbits in xindex.sgml, but much more work
> is needed.)

Weeeeeell...first I'd have to learn GiST...

Chris

Re: Weird manual page

От
Oleg Bartunov
Дата:
On Tue, 30 Jul 2002, Tom Lane wrote:

> "Christopher Kings-Lynne" <chriskl@familyhealth.com.au> writes:
> > What's with this manual page?
> > http://candle.pha.pa.us/main/writings/pgsql/sgml/gist.html
>
> GiST is, um, *very* poorly documented.  Feel free to submit doc patches.
> (I've just committed a few tidbits in xindex.sgml, but much more work
> is needed.)

We have some docs

http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/postgres/gist/

there is introduction
http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/postgres/gist/doc/intro.shtml

and description of current GiST interface
http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/postgres/gist/doc/gist-inteface-r.shtml
it's written in Russian.
I could try to translate if needed.

>             regards, tom lane

Regards,    Oleg
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83

Re: Weird manual page

От
Thomas Lockhart
Дата:
> We have some docs...
> it's written in Russian.
> I could try to translate if needed.

That would be great! Perhaps someone would help to go through and edit
it after you do a first cut, so you don't need to spend time working on
exact phrasing but rather on the content itself. I admire your command
of English (and Russian of course) but in my limited experience with
languages it seems that much time can be spent trying to get it "just
right"...
                    - Thomas

Re: Weird manual page

Дата:
I wonder if we should just point to Oleg's URL from our docs.  That way,
as he adds stuff, people can go there to get it.

Oleg Bartunov wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Jul 2002, Tom Lane wrote:
>
> > "Christopher Kings-Lynne" <chriskl@familyhealth.com.au> writes:
> > > What's with this manual page?
> > > http://candle.pha.pa.us/main/writings/pgsql/sgml/gist.html
> >
> > GiST is, um, *very* poorly documented.  Feel free to submit doc patches.
> > (I've just committed a few tidbits in xindex.sgml, but much more work
> > is needed.)
> >

> We have some docs
>
> http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/postgres/gist/
>
> there is introduction
> http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/postgres/gist/doc/intro.shtml
>
> and description of current GiST interface
> http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/postgres/gist/doc/gist-inteface-r.shtml
> it's written in Russian.
> I could try to translate if needed.
>
> >             regards, tom lane

> > subscribe-nomail command to majordomo@postgresql.org so that your
> >

>     Regards,
>         Oleg
> Oleg Bartunov, sci.researcher, hostmaster of AstroNet,
> Sternberg Astronomical Institute, Moscow University (Russia)
> Internet: oleg@sai.msu.su, http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/
> phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83

Pennsylvania19026

Re: Weird manual page

От
Oleg Bartunov
Дата:
On Tue, 30 Jul 2002, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> I wonder if we should just point to Oleg's URL from our docs.  That way,
> as he adds stuff, people can go there to get it.

I think better to have basic GiST documentation shipped and a point
to our page. We have complete GiST API documented in Russian and
a little intro in English, so most work is already done. We certainly
need to write info with real-life examples, but for the moment we
have no time. There is a bunch of GiST based contrib modules at least.
I'll try to translate GiST API this week and would be happy if somebody
integrate it with Postgres documentation.

> Oleg Bartunov wrote:

> > > GiST is, um, *very* poorly documented.  Feel free to submit doc patches.
> > > (I've just committed a few tidbits in xindex.sgml, but much more work
> > > is needed.)
> > >

> > We have some docs
> >
> > http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/postgres/gist/
> >
> > there is introduction
> > http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/postgres/gist/doc/intro.shtml
> >
> > and description of current GiST interface
> > http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/postgres/gist/doc/gist-inteface-r.shtml
> > it's written in Russian.
> > I could try to translate if needed.
> >
> > >             regards, tom lane

> > > TIP 3: if posting/reading through Usenet, please send an appropriate
> > > subscribe-nomail command to majordomo@postgresql.org so that your
> > > message can get through to the mailing list cleanly
> > >

> >     Regards,
> >         Oleg
> > Oleg Bartunov, sci.researcher, hostmaster of AstroNet,
> > Sternberg Astronomical Institute, Moscow University (Russia)
> > Internet: oleg@sai.msu.su, http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/
> > phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83

Regards,    Oleg
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83

Re: Weird manual page

От
Thomas Lockhart
Дата:
> I wonder if we should just point to Oleg's URL from our docs.  That way,
> as he adds stuff, people can go there to get it.

Oleg has offered to help integrate this into the main documentation set,
and he certainly understands how to work with those for patching etc.
There is no downside to having this as a fundamental part of the docs
afaict.
                      - Thomas