Обсуждение: Re: [GENERAL] Idea for the statistics collector

Re: [GENERAL] Idea for the statistics collector

Дата:
Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> Since it's currently all for collecting statistics on tables, why can't it
> collect another type of statistic, like:
>
> - How often the estimator gets it wrong?
>
> At the end of an index scan, the executor could compare the number of rows
> returned against what was estimated, and if it falls outside a certain
> range, flag it.
>
> Also, the average ratio of rows coming out of a distinct node vs the number
> going in.
>
> For a join clause, the amount of correlation between two columns (hard).
>
> etc
>
> Ideally, the planner could then use this info to make better plans.
> Eventually, the whole system could become somewhat self-tuning.
>
> Does anyone see any problems with this?

[ Discussion moved to hackers.]

I have thought that some type of feedback from the executor back into
the optimizer would be a good feature.  Not sure how to do it, but your
idea makes sense.  It certainly could update the table statistics after
a sequential scan.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [GENERAL] Idea for the statistics collector

От
Neil Conway
Дата:
On Thu, 20 Jun 2002 22:50:04 -0400 (EDT)
"Bruce Momjian" <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> wrote:
> I have thought that some type of feedback from the executor back into
> the optimizer would be a good feature.  Not sure how to do it, but your
> idea makes sense.  It certainly could update the table statistics after
> a sequential scan.

Search the archives for a thread I started on -hackers called "self-tuning
histograms", which talks about a pretty similar idea. The technique there
applies only to histograms, and builds the histogram based *only* upon
the data provided by the executor.

Tom commented that it's probably a better idea to concentrate on more
elementary techniques, like multi-dimensional histograms, before starting
on ST histograms. I agree, and plan to look at multi-dimensional histograms
when I get some spare time.

Cheers,

Neil

--
Neil Conway <neilconway@rogers.com>
PGP Key ID: DB3C29FC

Re: [GENERAL] Idea for the statistics collector

Дата:
Neil Conway wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Jun 2002 22:50:04 -0400 (EDT)
> "Bruce Momjian" <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> wrote:
> > I have thought that some type of feedback from the executor back into
> > the optimizer would be a good feature.  Not sure how to do it, but your
> > idea makes sense.  It certainly could update the table statistics after
> > a sequential scan.
>
> Search the archives for a thread I started on -hackers called "self-tuning
> histograms", which talks about a pretty similar idea. The technique there
> applies only to histograms, and builds the histogram based *only* upon
> the data provided by the executor.
>
> Tom commented that it's probably a better idea to concentrate on more
> elementary techniques, like multi-dimensional histograms, before starting
> on ST histograms. I agree, and plan to look at multi-dimensional histograms
> when I get some spare time.

I was thinking of something much more elementary, like a table that
reports to have 50 blocks but an executor sequential scan shows 500
blocks.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [GENERAL] Idea for the statistics collector

От
"Christopher Kings-Lynne"
Дата:
I was thinking of writing a command line tool like 'pgtune' that looks at
the stats views and will generate SQL code for, or do automatically the
following:

* Dropping indices that are never used
* Creating appropriate indices to avoid large, expensive sequential scans.

This would put us in the 'mysql makes my indices for me by magic' league -
but would be far more powerful and flexible.  How to do multikey indices is
beyond me tho.

*sigh* I'm recovering from a septoplasty on my nose atm, so I might have
some time to do some coding!

Chris

> > Since it's currently all for collecting statistics on tables, why can't
it
> > collect another type of statistic, like:
> >
> > - How often the estimator gets it wrong?
> >
> > At the end of an index scan, the executor could compare the number of
rows
> > returned against what was estimated, and if it falls outside a certain
> > range, flag it.
> >
> > Also, the average ratio of rows coming out of a distinct node vs the
number
> > going in.
> >
> > For a join clause, the amount of correlation between two columns (hard).
> >
> > etc
> >
> > Ideally, the planner could then use this info to make better plans.
> > Eventually, the whole system could become somewhat self-tuning.
> >
> > Does anyone see any problems with this?
>
> [ Discussion moved to hackers.]
>
> I have thought that some type of feedback from the executor back into
> the optimizer would be a good feature.  Not sure how to do it, but your
> idea makes sense.  It certainly could update the table statistics after
> a sequential scan.

> http://archives.postgresql.org

Re: [GENERAL] Idea for the statistics collector

Дата:
Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
> I was thinking of writing a command line tool like 'pgtune' that looks at
> the stats views and will generate SQL code for, or do automatically the
> following:
>
> * Dropping indices that are never used
> * Creating appropriate indices to avoid large, expensive sequential scans.
>
> This would put us in the 'mysql makes my indices for me by magic' league -
> but would be far more powerful and flexible.  How to do multikey indices is
> beyond me tho.

This is a great idea.  I have been wanting to do something like this
myself but probably won't get the time.

Does MySQL really make indexes by magic?

Also, I had to look up the contraction for "will not" because I always
get that confused (won't).  I just found a web page on it:
http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mwont.html

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [GENERAL] Idea for the statistics collector

Дата:
> I was thinking of writing a command line tool like 'pgtune' that looks at
> the stats views and will generate SQL code for, or do automatically the
> following:

> * Dropping indices that are never used
> * Creating appropriate indices to avoid large, expensive sequential scans.

Dropping unused indices sounds good --- but beware of dropping unique
indexes; they may be there to enforce a constraint, and not because of
any desire to use them in queries.

I'm not sure how you're going to automatically intuit appropriate
indexes to add, though.  You'd need to look at a suitable workload
(ie, a representative set of queries) which is not data that's readily
available from the stats views.  Perhaps we could expect the DBA to
provide a segment of log output that includes debug_print_query
and show_query_stats results.
        regards, tom lane

Re: [GENERAL] Idea for the statistics collector

Added to TODO:
* Add tool to query pg_stat_* tables and report indexes that aren't needed  or tables that might need indexes

Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
> I was thinking of writing a command line tool like 'pgtune' that looks at
> the stats views and will generate SQL code for, or do automatically the
> following:
>
> * Dropping indices that are never used
> * Creating appropriate indices to avoid large, expensive sequential scans.
>
> This would put us in the 'mysql makes my indices for me by magic' league -
> but would be far more powerful and flexible.  How to do multikey indices is
> beyond me tho.
>
> *sigh* I'm recovering from a septoplasty on my nose atm, so I might have
> some time to do some coding!
>
> Chris

Pennsylvania19073

Re: [GENERAL] Idea for the statistics collector

От
Christopher Kings-Lynne
Дата:
Good god - how old was that email? 2002???

Chris

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Added to TODO:
>
>     * Add tool to query pg_stat_* tables and report indexes that aren't needed
>       or tables that might need indexes

> Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
>
>>I was thinking of writing a command line tool like 'pgtune' that looks at
>>the stats views and will generate SQL code for, or do automatically the
>>following:
>>
>>* Dropping indices that are never used
>>* Creating appropriate indices to avoid large, expensive sequential scans.
>>
>>This would put us in the 'mysql makes my indices for me by magic' league -
>>but would be far more powerful and flexible.  How to do multikey indices is
>>beyond me tho.
>>
>>*sigh* I'm recovering from a septoplasty on my nose atm, so I might have
>>some time to do some coding!
>>
>>Chris

Дата:
Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
> Good god - how old was that email? 2002???

Yep, and been in my mailbox since then, waiting for me to process it
into a TODO entry.

> Chris
>
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Added to TODO:
> >
> >     * Add tool to query pg_stat_* tables and report indexes that aren't needed
> >       or tables that might need indexes

> > Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
> >
> >>I was thinking of writing a command line tool like 'pgtune' that looks at
> >>the stats views and will generate SQL code for, or do automatically the
> >>following:
> >>
> >>* Dropping indices that are never used
> >>* Creating appropriate indices to avoid large, expensive sequential scans.
> >>
> >>This would put us in the 'mysql makes my indices for me by magic' league -
> >>but would be far more powerful and flexible.  How to do multikey indices is
> >>beyond me tho.
> >>
> >>*sigh* I'm recovering from a septoplasty on my nose atm, so I might have
> >>some time to do some coding!
> >>
> >>Chris

Andreas Pflug
Дата:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
>
>>Good god - how old was that email? 2002???
>

> Yep, and been in my mailbox since then, waiting for me to process it
> into a TODO entry.

Exciting what one can find wiping the floor of the mailbox :-)

Regards,
Andreas