Обсуждение: clarification of timestamp

clarification of timestamp

От
Olivier PRENANT
Дата:
Hi all,

I've already posted, a few weeks ago a concern about timestamp and
indices.

My problem was that on my 7.1.3 db, I have timestamp columns with
fonctinal indices as date(column).

Thes indices (indexes) wont work anymore because they're not marked loosy.

I've been told that I should go for timestamp without timezone instead,
witch is okay because all timezones are the same. However, what happens
with daylight saving calculations. Is it still take into account??

Many thaks for that great product!

Regards

--
Olivier PRENANT             Tel:    +33-5-61-50-97-00 (Work)
Quartier d'Harraud Turrou           +33-5-61-50-97-01 (Fax)

Re: clarification of timestamp

От
Thomas Lockhart
Дата:
> My problem was that on my 7.1.3 db, I have timestamp columns with
> fonctinal indices as date(column).
> Thes indices (indexes) wont work anymore because they're not marked loosy.
> I've been told that I should go for timestamp without timezone instead,
> witch is okay because all timezones are the same. However, what happens
> with daylight saving calculations. Is it still take into account??

No, because there is no time zone to think about. What daylight savings
calculations would you need to consider? I'm a big believer in making
databases time zone aware, but if everything really is happening within
the same time zone then your application should probably not notice an
effect.
                  - Thomas

Re: clarification of timestamp

От
Olivier PRENANT
Дата:
High Thomas!

Thanks for your reply.

The columns in question are radius start and end of a connection of a
custommer.

Now, it's perfectly valid that start and stop cross a DST bondary in that
case, the duration computed as (stop-start) maybe false.

What do you think?

I'm perfectly OK with leaving time sones on but the table is growing and I
need dates indexes for my statistics.

Hope I made my self clear (i.d pardon my english)

Regards,