Обсуждение: Sequence docs

Sequence docs

От
"August Zajonc"
Дата:
Any chance the sequence docs could be updated to indicate sequence bounds
(int4)?
http://www.postgresql.org/idocs/index.php?sql-createsequence.html

Perhaps note that int8 is coming?

How do user notes make it into the documentation proper.

-AZ

Re: Sequence docs

От
Thomas Lockhart
Дата:
> How do user notes make it into the documentation proper.

At the moment they don't. Afaik no one is taking those notes and folding
them into the docs where appropriate. It would be great if someone (or
several people) want to do that, and it would be a nice project for
anyone wanting to start contributing to PostgreSQL.
                      - Thomas

Re: Sequence docs

От
Vince Vielhaber
Дата:
On Wed, 28 Nov 2001, Thomas Lockhart wrote:

> > How do user notes make it into the documentation proper.
>
> At the moment they don't. Afaik no one is taking those notes and folding
> them into the docs where appropriate. It would be great if someone (or
> several people) want to do that, and it would be a nice project for
> anyone wanting to start contributing to PostgreSQL.

I was under the impression Bruce had already started (if not finished)
that.  After 7.2 is released and the final docs are imported the current
docnotes are going to be cleared and therefore no longer available.

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH    email: vev@michvhf.com    http://www.pop4.net        56K Nationwide Dialup from $16.00/mo
atPop4 Networking       Online Campground Directory    http://www.camping-usa.com      Online Giftshop Superstore
http://www.cloudninegifts.com

Re: Sequence docs

Дата:
Thomas Lockhart <lockhart@fourpalms.org> writes:
>> How do user notes make it into the documentation proper.

> At the moment they don't. Afaik no one is taking those notes and folding
> them into the docs where appropriate.

I made a pass a week or two ago to incorporate notes where appropriate.
I did not go through the JDBC or ODBC sections, however, not feeling
competent to work on the documentation for those.

> It would be great if someone (or
> several people) want to do that, and it would be a nice project for
> anyone wanting to start contributing to PostgreSQL.

It'd be real nice if someone could look through the JDBC and/or ODBC notes
and submit documentation patches before 7.2 goes final.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Sequence docs

Дата:
"August Zajonc" <junk-pgsql@aontic.com> writes:
> Any chance the sequence docs could be updated to indicate sequence bounds
> (int4)?

Done for 7.2, see
http://candle.pha.pa.us/main/writings/pgsql/sgml/sql-createsequence.html
http://candle.pha.pa.us/main/writings/pgsql/sgml/functions-sequence.html
        regards, tom lane

Re: Sequence docs

От
bpalmer
Дата:
> http://candle.pha.pa.us/main/writings/pgsql/sgml/sql-createsequence.html
> http://candle.pha.pa.us/main/writings/pgsql/sgml/functions-sequence.html

These lead me to a interesting question.  Though it would take a while,
what happens if you get the the max sequence number? It can't roll over...
are you just SOL?  (Just for some numbers,  to get to 2b,  it would be
~1000/sec for only 25 days)

- Brandon

----------------------------------------------------------------------------c: 646-456-5455
              h: 201-798-4983b. palmer,  bpalmer@crimelabs.net           pgp:crimelabs.net/bpalmer.pgp5

Re: Sequence docs

Дата:
bpalmer <bpalmer@crimelabs.net> writes:
> These lead me to a interesting question.  Though it would take a while,
> what happens if you get the the max sequence number?

If you didn't say CYCLE, nextval() starts giving errors.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Sequence docs

От
Barry Lind
Дата:
I'll work on the JDBC ones.

thanks,
--Barry

Tom Lane wrote:

> Thomas Lockhart <lockhart@fourpalms.org> writes:
>
>>>How do user notes make it into the documentation proper.
>>>

>>At the moment they don't. Afaik no one is taking those notes and folding
>>them into the docs where appropriate.
>>

> I made a pass a week or two ago to incorporate notes where appropriate.
> I did not go through the JDBC or ODBC sections, however, not feeling
> competent to work on the documentation for those.
>

>>It would be great if someone (or
>>several people) want to do that, and it would be a nice project for
>>anyone wanting to start contributing to PostgreSQL.
>>

> It'd be real nice if someone could look through the JDBC and/or ODBC notes
> and submit documentation patches before 7.2 goes final.
>
>             regards, tom lane

Re: Sequence docs

Дата:
> On Wed, 28 Nov 2001, Thomas Lockhart wrote:
>
> > > How do user notes make it into the documentation proper.
> >
> > At the moment they don't. Afaik no one is taking those notes and folding
> > them into the docs where appropriate. It would be great if someone (or
> > several people) want to do that, and it would be a nice project for
> > anyone wanting to start contributing to PostgreSQL.
>
> I was under the impression Bruce had already started (if not finished)
> that.  After 7.2 is released and the final docs are imported the current
> docnotes are going to be cleared and therefore no longer available.

I don't know anything about those notes.  Sorry.  I am adding stuff from
email comments.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: Sequence docs

От
Vince Vielhaber
Дата:
On Wed, 28 Nov 2001, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > > At the moment they don't. Afaik no one is taking those notes and folding
> > > them into the docs where appropriate. It would be great if someone (or
> > > several people) want to do that, and it would be a nice project for
> > > anyone wanting to start contributing to PostgreSQL.
> >
> > I was under the impression Bruce had already started (if not finished)
> > that.  After 7.2 is released and the final docs are imported the current
> > docnotes are going to be cleared and therefore no longer available.
>
> I don't know anything about those notes.  Sorry.  I am adding stuff from
> email comments.

I thought it was you, but Tom Lane just mentioned having gone thru it.

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH    email: vev@michvhf.com    http://www.pop4.net        56K Nationwide Dialup from $16.00/mo
atPop4 Networking       Online Campground Directory    http://www.camping-usa.com      Online Giftshop Superstore
http://www.cloudninegifts.com

Re: Sequence docs

Дата:
Barry Lind <barry@xythos.com> writes:
> Docs have been updated to address the JDBC related notes.  Actually most
> were already addressed by previous doc cleanups.

Excellent.  Thanks!
        regards, tom lane

Re: Sequence docs

От
Barry Lind
Дата:

Tom Lane wrote:

> Thomas Lockhart <lockhart@fourpalms.org> writes:
>
>>>How do user notes make it into the documentation proper.
>>>

>>At the moment they don't. Afaik no one is taking those notes and folding
>>them into the docs where appropriate.
>>

> I made a pass a week or two ago to incorporate notes where appropriate.
> I did not go through the JDBC or ODBC sections, however, not feeling
> competent to work on the documentation for those.
>

>>It would be great if someone (or
>>several people) want to do that, and it would be a nice project for
>>anyone wanting to start contributing to PostgreSQL.
>>

> It'd be real nice if someone could look through the JDBC and/or ODBC notes
> and submit documentation patches before 7.2 goes final.
>
>             regards, tom lane

Re: Sequence docs

От
Vince Vielhaber
Дата:
On Wed, 28 Nov 2001, Barry Lind wrote:

> Docs have been updated to address the JDBC related notes.  Actually most
> were already addressed by previous doc cleanups.

Has anyone looked at the ODBC docs and docnotes?