Обсуждение: No documentation in beta tarballs

No documentation in beta tarballs

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
The current beta tarballs don't contain any documentation.  Is someone
going to reinstate the old documentation build on postgresql.org?

Also, currently the sub-tarballs don't get build correctly.  This is
actually due to the above problem.  I also suggest that the release
building script do some error checking, because these hickups around
release time just keep piling up.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net

Re: No documentation in beta tarballs

Дата:
> The current beta tarballs don't contain any documentation.  Is someone
> going to reinstate the old documentation build on postgresql.org?

I was wondering about that.  :-)

> Also, currently the sub-tarballs don't get build correctly.  This is
> actually due to the above problem.  I also suggest that the release
> building script do some error checking, because these hickups around
> release time just keep piling up.

There is more.  As someone pointed out, and I can confirm, the snapshots
have the beta1 inside the tarball:

#$ lf /wrk/tmp/postgresql-snapshot/
COPYRIGHT               README                  contrib/
GNUmakefile.in          aclocal.m4              doc/
HISTORY                 config/                 postgresql-7.2b1/
                                               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

INSTALL                 configure*              register.txt
Makefile                configure.in            src/

Pennsylvania19026

Re: No documentation in beta tarballs

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Bruce Momjian writes:

> There is more.  As someone pointed out, and I can confirm, the snapshots
> have the beta1 inside the tarball:

The distribution build errored out (because the documentation was missing)
and therefore this directory didn't get cleaned up.  Later, the version
number was changed so that this directory was no longer recognized as
belonging under build process control.

I guess this directory should be removed by make clean, but that doesn't
guard against the second problem, you simply need to watch for that.

Btw., I think each labeled distribution should be build from a clean cvs
checkout or cvs export.  If you keep building releases from the same tree
you're liable to pile up core files and other garbage as hickups happen.
You'd need to start with providing consistent tags, however.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net