Обсуждение: My last ECPG commit

My last ECPG commit

От
Michael Meskes
Дата:
Christof just told me that I overwrote Tom's patch fixing the setlocale
problem in ecpg. I did not notice that and for some strange reason did not
get Tom's mail either. Anyway, the CVS problem was that I use cvsup to keep
an up-to-date source tree. I have set up my system so that it updates
everytime I go on-line. I also automatically update my pgsql-ecpg checkout.

This has a long history as I started using cvsup before I even was a
developer and never felt the need to change that.

When I change some stuff I usually do this in the complete source tree as I
need it to even compile ecpg. Then I copy over the files I changed to the
cvs checkout and commit them.

This works well since it does not matter if the checkout is done via cvs or
cvsup. But now cvsup on my system stopped working because of that 10mil
seconds bug but I failed to notice. Hey, I don't check the logfiles
everytime. So when I made my last commit, I simply used these old files as a
base and removed Tom's patch. I guess I better switch to cvs. :-)

Making this long story short, Tom, I can understand if you feel angry about
this (and I'm sure I would) and I will try my best to never let it happen
again. Please take my apologies.

Michael
--
Michael Meskes
Michael@Fam-Meskes.De

Re: My last ECPG commit

Дата:
Michael Meskes <meskes@postgresql.org> writes:
> But now cvsup on my system stopped working because of that 10mil
> seconds bug but I failed to notice. Hey, I don't check the logfiles
> everytime. So when I made my last commit, I simply used these old files as a
> base and removed Tom's patch. I guess I better switch to cvs. :-)

Or update to the fixed version of cvsup, anyway.  Thomas Lockhart likes
cvsup too, so you can be sure it will continue to be a workable means
of working with our CVS tree.

> Making this long story short, Tom, I can understand if you feel angry about
> this (and I'm sure I would) and I will try my best to never let it happen
> again. Please take my apologies.

Of course.
        regards, tom lane

Re: My last ECPG commit

От
Michael Meskes
Дата:
On Tue, Oct 02, 2001 at 10:33:55AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Or update to the fixed version of cvsup, anyway.  Thomas Lockhart likes
> cvsup too, so you can be sure it will continue to be a workable means
> of working with our CVS tree.

Yes, that's apossibility. But then the actual Debian package has not been
updated. And why messing with two mechanisms?

Michael
--
Michael Meskes
Michael@Fam-Meskes.De
Go SF 49ers! Go Rhein Fire!
Use Debian GNU/Linux! Use PostgreSQL!

Re: My last ECPG commit

От
Thomas Lockhart
Дата:
> Yes, that's apossibility. But then the actual Debian package has not been
> updated. And why messing with two mechanisms?

It may be that the static tarballs for RedHat will work for you (they
work for me on Mandrake).

I use CVSup to keep a local copy of the cvs repository on my laptop, so
I have a *full* development environment when I'm traveling or otherwise
off line. I'd have a very hard time working without it...
                   - Thomas

Re: My last ECPG commit

От
Michael Meskes
Дата:
On Wed, Oct 03, 2001 at 02:27:20AM +0000, Thomas Lockhart wrote:
> It may be that the static tarballs for RedHat will work for you (they
> work for me on Mandrake).

Maybe. But then I could compile the sources myself.

> I use CVSup to keep a local copy of the cvs repository on my laptop, so
> I have a *full* development environment when I'm traveling or otherwise
> off line. I'd have a very hard time working without it...

Yes, that was my original thinking too. But CVS could do the same.

Michael
--
Michael Meskes
Michael@Fam-Meskes.De
Go SF 49ers! Go Rhein Fire!
Use Debian GNU/Linux! Use PostgreSQL!

Re: My last ECPG commit

От
Thomas Lockhart
Дата:
> > I use CVSup to keep a local copy of the cvs repository on my laptop, so
> > I have a *full* development environment when I'm traveling or otherwise
> > off line. I'd have a very hard time working without it...
> Yes, that was my original thinking too. But CVS could do the same.

? A local copy of the *repository*, not a checked out version of the
tree. CVSup is too cool for words ;)

Building CVSup from scratch is not trivial, since it requires the
installation of Modula3. There are packages available for RH/Mandrake
Linux.
                    - Thomas

Re: My last ECPG commit

От
Michael Meskes
Дата:
On Wed, Oct 03, 2001 at 05:40:08PM +0000, Thomas Lockhart wrote:
> ? A local copy of the *repository*, not a checked out version of the
> tree. CVSup is too cool for words ;)

Oops, should read mail more carefully. :-)

> Building CVSup from scratch is not trivial, since it requires the
> installation of Modula3. There are packages available for RH/Mandrake
> Linux.

I know. I did it once before there was a package available.

Michael