Обсуждение: When scripting, which is better?

When scripting, which is better?

От
Justin Clift
Дата:
Hi all,

Reading through the script files again, there seems to be several
different methods of doing the same thing :

i.e.  if [ -x "$self_path/postmaster" ] && [ -x "$self_path/psql" ];
then

or

if [[ -x "$self_path/postmaster" && -x "$self_path/psql" ]]; then

if [ x"$foo" = x"" ]; then

or

if [ "$op" = "" ]; then

or

if [ "$foo" ]; then

first group; there was less competition there."    - Indira Gandhi

Re: When scripting, which is better?

От
"Ken Hirsch"
Дата:
Justin Clift wrote:

> if [ x"$foo" = x"" ]; then

This is the safest way.  It prevents problems when $foo begins with with a
"-"

I don't know about your first question, though.

Re: When scripting, which is better?

От
Adrian Phillips
Дата:
   Justin> if [ x"$foo" = x"" ]; then
   Justin> or
   Justin> if [ "$op" = "" ]; then
   Justin> or
   Justin> if [ "$foo" ]; then

I'm not the slightest bit a shell expert, but why not :-

if [ -z "$foo" ]; then

Is this POSIX/SUS2/whatever ?

Sincerely,

Adrian Phillips

--
Your mouse has moved.
Reboot now?  [OK]

Re: When scripting, which is better?

Дата:
> Hi all,
>
> Reading through the script files again, there seems to be several
> different methods of doing the same thing :
>
> i.e.  if [ -x "$self_path/postmaster" ] && [ -x "$self_path/psql" ];
> then

The above semicolon is useless.  Actually, I have never see this.  The
normal way is:
if [ -x "$self_path/postmaster" -a -x "$self_path/psql" ]

> or
>
> if [[ -x "$self_path/postmaster" && -x "$self_path/psql" ]]; then

I usually do:
if [ ... ]then

Pretty simple.

> if [ x"$foo" = x"" ]; then
>
> or
>
> if [ "$op" = "" ]; then

This is done if you think $op may have a leading dash.

> or
>
> if [ "$foo" ]; then

This tests whether "$foo" is not equal to "".

Pennsylvania19026

Re: When scripting, which is better?

От
Justin Clift
Дата:
Sorry guys,

I didn't realise I actually sent this, it was part of an email I was
putting together to achieve consistency in the scripts, but I thought I
cancelled it when it got late in the morning.

My apologies.

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > Hi all,
> >
> > Reading through the script files again, there seems to be several
> > different methods of doing the same thing :
> >
> > i.e.  if [ -x "$self_path/postmaster" ] && [ -x "$self_path/psql" ];
> > then
>
> The above semicolon is useless.  Actually, I have never see this.  The
> normal way is:
>
>         if [ -x "$self_path/postmaster" -a -x "$self_path/psql" ]
>

> > or
> >
> > if [[ -x "$self_path/postmaster" && -x "$self_path/psql" ]]; then
>
> I usually do:
>
>         if [ ... ]
>         then
>
> Pretty simple.
>

> > if [ x"$foo" = x"" ]; then
> >
> > or
> >
> > if [ "$op" = "" ]; then
>
> This is done if you think $op may have a leading dash.
>

> > or
> >
> > if [ "$foo" ]; then
> >

> This tests whether "$foo" is not equal to "".

first group; there was less competition there."    - Indira Gandhi

Re: When scripting, which is better?

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Justin Clift writes:

> i.e.  if [ -x "$self_path/postmaster" ] && [ -x "$self_path/psql" ];
> then
>
> or
>
> if [[ -x "$self_path/postmaster" && -x "$self_path/psql" ]]; then

I don't think the second one is a valid expression. ;-)

Maybe you were wondering about [[ ]] vs [] -- In Autoconf [] are the quote
characters so you have to double-quote, sort of.  It's better to use
'test' in that case because m4 quoting can be tricky.  I prefer test over
[] in general because it is more consistent and slightly clearer.

> if [ x"$foo" = x"" ]; then

Maximum safety for the case where $foo starts with a dash.  Yes, that
means all comparisons should really be done that way.  No, I don't think
we should do it in all cases if we know what $foo can contain, because
that makes code *really* unreadable.

> or
>
> if [ "$op" = "" ]; then
>
> or
>
> if [ "$foo" ]; then

These two are equivalent but the second one is arguably less clear.