Обсуждение: Beta Monday?

Beta Monday?

Дата:
Is the schedule still to go beta Monday?

Pennsylvania19026

Re: Beta Monday?

От
Larry Rosenman
Дата:
* Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> [010906 23:40]:
> Is the schedule still to go beta Monday?
I would object based on the bug I just sent.  the last multi-byte
stuff doesn't compile (the file is there now...) ...

LER

Re: Beta Monday?

Oh, I see.  Can you send an detailed email to hackers to Tatsuo can get
it fixed?  If we have to back it out, we will.

Monday is not written in stone.  If people want it later, we can do
that.  Having it compile is a beta requirement.  :-)

> * Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> [010906 23:40]:
> > Is the schedule still to go beta Monday?
> I would object based on the bug I just sent.  the last multi-byte
> stuff doesn't compile (the file is there now...) ...
>
> LER
>

> > --
> >   pgman@candle.pha.pa.us               |  (610) 853-3000
> >   +  If your life is a hard drive,     |  830 Blythe Avenue
> >   +  Christ can be your backup.        |  Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania 19026

> > subscribe-nomail command to majordomo@postgresql.org so that your

> Larry Rosenman                     http://www.lerctr.org/~ler
> Phone: +1 972-414-9812                 E-Mail: ler@lerctr.org
> US Mail: 1905 Steamboat Springs Drive, Garland, TX 75044-6749

Pennsylvania19026

Re: Beta Monday?

Дата:
> Is the schedule still to go beta Monday?

Well, I dunno about you, but I've had a few distractions to deal with
over the past couple days ;-)

I'll keep trying to clean up loose ends, but I wonder if we should put
it off a few days more.  There's still a long list of unreviewed patches
and undone todo items...
        regards, tom lane

Re: Beta Monday?

От
Larry Rosenman
Дата:
* Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> [010906 23:45]:

> Oh, I see.  Can you send an detailed email to hackers to Tatsuo can get
> it fixed?  If we have to back it out, we will.
>
> Monday is not written in stone.  If people want it later, we can do
> that.  Having it compile is a beta requirement.  :-)
Already Done.

But here is the tail of the output:

UX:cc: WARNING: debugging and optimization mutually exclusive; -O disabled
cc -O -K inline -g -I../../../../src/include -I/usr/local/include  -c -o tuplestore.o tuplestore.c
UX:cc: WARNING: debugging and optimization mutually exclusive; -O disabled
/bin/ld -r -o SUBSYS.o logtape.o tuplesort.o tuplestore.o
gmake[4]: Leaving directory `/home/ler/pg-dev/pgsql/src/backend/utils/sort'
gmake -C time SUBSYS.o
gmake[4]: Entering directory `/home/ler/pg-dev/pgsql/src/backend/utils/time'
cc -O -K inline -g -I../../../../src/include -I/usr/local/include  -c -o tqual.o tqual.c
UX:cc: WARNING: debugging and optimization mutually exclusive; -O disabled
/bin/ld -r -o SUBSYS.o tqual.o
gmake[4]: Leaving directory `/home/ler/pg-dev/pgsql/src/backend/utils/time'
gmake -C mb SUBSYS.o
gmake[4]: Entering directory `/home/ler/pg-dev/pgsql/src/backend/utils/mb'
cc -O -K inline -g -I../../../../src/include -I/usr/local/include  -c -o encnames.o encnames.c
UX:cc: WARNING: debugging and optimization mutually exclusive; -O disabled
UX:acomp: ERROR: "encnames.c", line 36: syntax error in macro parameters
gmake[4]: *** [encnames.o] Error 1
gmake[4]: Leaving directory `/home/ler/pg-dev/pgsql/src/backend/utils/mb'
gmake[3]: *** [mb-recursive] Error 2
gmake[3]: Leaving directory `/home/ler/pg-dev/pgsql/src/backend/utils'
gmake[2]: *** [utils-recursive] Error 2
gmake[2]: Leaving directory `/home/ler/pg-dev/pgsql/src/backend'
gmake[1]: *** [all] Error 2
gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/home/ler/pg-dev/pgsql/src'
gmake: *** [all] Error 2

configure input:

CC=cc CXX=CC ./configure  --prefix=/usr/local/pgsql --enable-syslog \--with-CXX --with-perl --enable-multibyte
--enable-cassert\--with-includes=/usr/local/include --with-libs=/usr/local/lib \--enable-debug \--with-tcl
--with-tclconfig=/usr/local/lib\--with-tkconfig=/usr/local/lib  --enable-locale --with-python

> > * Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> [010906 23:40]:
> > > Is the schedule still to go beta Monday?
> > I would object based on the bug I just sent.  the last multi-byte
> > stuff doesn't compile (the file is there now...) ...
> >
> > LER
> >

> > > --
> > >   Bruce Momjian                        |  http://candle.pha.pa.us
> > >   pgman@candle.pha.pa.us               |  (610) 853-3000
> > >   +  If your life is a hard drive,     |  830 Blythe Avenue
> > >   +  Christ can be your backup.        |  Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania 19026

> > > TIP 3: if posting/reading through Usenet, please send an appropriate
> > > subscribe-nomail command to majordomo@postgresql.org so that your
> > > message can get through to the mailing list cleanly
> > >

> > --
> > Larry Rosenman                     http://www.lerctr.org/~ler
> > Phone: +1 972-414-9812                 E-Mail: ler@lerctr.org
> > US Mail: 1905 Steamboat Springs Drive, Garland, TX 75044-6749

Re: Beta Monday?

Дата:
> > Is the schedule still to go beta Monday?
>
> Well, I dunno about you, but I've had a few distractions to deal with
> over the past couple days ;-)
>
> I'll keep trying to clean up loose ends, but I wonder if we should put
> it off a few days more.  There's still a long list of unreviewed patches
> and undone todo items...

Fine by me.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: Beta Monday?

От
Karel Zak
Дата:
On Fri, Sep 07, 2001 at 07:31:50AM -0500, Larry Rosenman wrote:
> * Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> [010906 23:45]:
> >

> > Oh, I see.  Can you send an detailed email to hackers to Tatsuo can get
> > it fixed?  If we have to back it out, we will.
> >
> > Monday is not written in stone.  If people want it later, we can do
> > that.  Having it compile is a beta requirement.  :-)
> Already Done.
I want send on monday small bugfix for to_char() (now I haven't time).
IMHO good time for beta is in the Monday envening :-)
> But here is the tail of the output:
> UX:cc: WARNING: debugging and optimization mutually exclusive; -O disabled
> UX:acomp: ERROR: "encnames.c", line 36: syntax error in macro parameters                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^Here is:

/* #define DEBUG_ENCODING */
#ifdef DEBUG_ENCODING
#ifdef FRONTEND
#define encdebug(_format, _a...)        fprintf(stderr, _format, ##_a)
#else
#define encdebug(_format, _a...)        elog(NOTICE, _format, ##_a)
#endif
#else
#define encdebug(_format, _a...)  ^^^^^^^^^^^line 36

#endif
I don't see some problem with my gcc. Or I something overlook?

I check current CVS and encoding names patch was commit incorrect!
Well, again:   * following files are renamed (see mb/Unicode     -- is needful do:

cvs remove src/utils/mb/Unicode/KOI8_to_utf8.map
cvs add    src/utils/mb/Unicode/koi8r_to_utf8.map

cvs remove src/utils/mb/Unicode/WIN_to_utf8.map
cvs add       src/utils/mb/Unicode/win1251_to_utf8.map

cvs remove src/utils/mb/Unicode/utf8_to_KOI8.map
cvs add       src/utils/mb/Unicode/utf8_to_koi8r.map

cvs remove src/utils/mb/Unicode/utf8_to_WIN.map
cvs add       src/utils/mb/Unicode/utf8_to_win1251.map
  * new file:

cvs add src/utils/mb/encname.c
  * removed file:

cvs remove src/utils/mb/common.c

Karel

-- Karel Zak  <zakkr@zf.jcu.cz>http://home.zf.jcu.cz/~zakkr/C, PostgreSQL, PHP, WWW, http://docs.linux.cz,
http://mape.jcu.cz

Re: Beta Monday?

Дата:
>  I check current CVS and encoding names patch was commit incorrect!
>
>  Well, again:
>
>     * following files are renamed (see mb/Unicode
>       -- is needful do:
>
> cvs remove src/utils/mb/Unicode/KOI8_to_utf8.map
> cvs add    src/utils/mb/Unicode/koi8r_to_utf8.map
>
> cvs remove src/utils/mb/Unicode/WIN_to_utf8.map
> cvs add       src/utils/mb/Unicode/win1251_to_utf8.map
>
> cvs remove src/utils/mb/Unicode/utf8_to_KOI8.map
> cvs add       src/utils/mb/Unicode/utf8_to_koi8r.map
>
> cvs remove src/utils/mb/Unicode/utf8_to_WIN.map
> cvs add       src/utils/mb/Unicode/utf8_to_win1251.map

OK, removed unused file.  New versions were already added.

>    * new file:
>
> cvs add src/utils/mb/encname.c

Already added.

>    * removed file:
>
> cvs remove src/utils/mb/common.c

Removed.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: Beta Monday?

От
Larry Rosenman
Дата:
* Karel Zak <zakkr@zf.jcu.cz> [010907 09:00]:
> On Fri, Sep 07, 2001 at 07:31:50AM -0500, Larry Rosenman wrote:
> > * Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> [010906 23:45]:
> > >

> > > Oh, I see.  Can you send an detailed email to hackers to Tatsuo can get
> > > it fixed?  If we have to back it out, we will.
> > >
> > > Monday is not written in stone.  If people want it later, we can do
> > > that.  Having it compile is a beta requirement.  :-)
> > Already Done.
>
>  I want send on monday small bugfix for to_char() (now I haven't time).
> IMHO good time for beta is in the Monday envening :-)
>
> > But here is the tail of the output:
> > UX:cc: WARNING: debugging and optimization mutually exclusive; -O disabled
> > UX:acomp: ERROR: "encnames.c", line 36: syntax error in macro parameters
>                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>  Here is:
>
> /* #define DEBUG_ENCODING */
> #ifdef DEBUG_ENCODING
> #ifdef FRONTEND
> #define encdebug(_format, _a...)        fprintf(stderr, _format, ##_a)
> #else
> #define encdebug(_format, _a...)        elog(NOTICE, _format, ##_a)
> #endif
> #else
> #define encdebug(_format, _a...)
>    ^^^^^^^^^^^
>  line 36
>
> #endif
>
>  I don't see some problem with my gcc. Or I something overlook?
>

>  I check current CVS and encoding names patch was commit incorrect!
Karel,  If you want a shell account on my box, I can create one.   Also,
the doc for this compiler is at: http://www.lerctr.org:457/
or http://uw7doc.sco.com:1997/

Larry.

Re: Beta Monday?

Дата:
> Karel Zak <zakkr@zf.jcu.cz> writes:
> >> But here is the tail of the output:
> >> UX:cc: WARNING: debugging and optimization mutually exclusive; -O disabled
> >> UX:acomp: ERROR: "encnames.c", line 36: syntax error in macro parameters
> >                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> > #define encdebug(_format, _a...)
> >    ^^^^^^^^^^^
> >  line 36
>
> >  I don't see some problem with my gcc. Or I something overlook?
>
> "..." in macro parameters is a gcc-ism.  This code is unportable and
> must be fixed.

Yes, that stuff can't be done.  We do use ## to bind macro params, but
we don't do variable-length macro calls.  This is debug stuff anyway so
I am looking at how to get it compiling right away.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: Beta Monday?

От
Thomas Lockhart
Дата:
> I'll keep trying to clean up loose ends, but I wonder if we should put
> it off a few days more.  There's still a long list of unreviewed patches
> and undone todo items...

*sigh*

I'd like a few more days also. I've got "timestamp with time zone" work
to do, and unexpectedly may not have the time in the next two days to
finish it up.
                  - Thomas

Re: Beta Monday?

Дата:
Karel Zak <zakkr@zf.jcu.cz> writes:
>> But here is the tail of the output:
>> UX:cc: WARNING: debugging and optimization mutually exclusive; -O disabled
>> UX:acomp: ERROR: "encnames.c", line 36: syntax error in macro parameters
>                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> #define encdebug(_format, _a...)
>    ^^^^^^^^^^^
>  line 36

>  I don't see some problem with my gcc. Or I something overlook?

"..." in macro parameters is a gcc-ism.  This code is unportable and
must be fixed.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Beta Monday?

От
Karel Zak
Дата:
On Fri, Sep 07, 2001 at 10:39:19AM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > >                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >
> > > #define encdebug(_format, _a...)
> > >    ^^^^^^^^^^^
> > >  line 36
> >
> > >  I don't see some problem with my gcc. Or I something overlook?
> >
> > "..." in macro parameters is a gcc-ism.  This code is unportable and
> > must be fixed.
>
> Yes, that stuff can't be done.  We do use ## to bind macro params, but
> we don't do variable-length macro calls.  This is debug stuff anyway so
> I am looking at how to get it compiling right away.
Hmm.. my world is comiled by 'gcc' and I'm still must learning that
here are some cathedrals and not bazaars only :-) Sorry.
OK, please erase all these debug macros (encdebug). I used it for binary
search check only. It's not needful. Do you want a patch (but not until
Monday)?
    Karel

-- Karel Zak  <zakkr@zf.jcu.cz>http://home.zf.jcu.cz/~zakkr/C, PostgreSQL, PHP, WWW, http://docs.linux.cz,
http://mape.jcu.cz

Re: Beta Monday?

Дата:
> > I am looking at how to get it compiling right away.
>
>  Hmm.. my world is comiled by 'gcc' and I'm still must learning that
> here are some cathedrals and not bazaars only :-) Sorry.
>
>  OK, please erase all these debug macros (encdebug). I used it for binary
> search check only. It's not needful. Do you want a patch (but not until
> Monday)?

OK, I am on it.  Removing now.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: Beta Monday?

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Karel Zak writes:

> > But here is the tail of the output:
> > UX:cc: WARNING: debugging and optimization mutually exclusive; -O disabled
> > UX:acomp: ERROR: "encnames.c", line 36: syntax error in macro parameters
>                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>  Here is:
>
> /* #define DEBUG_ENCODING */
> #ifdef DEBUG_ENCODING
> #ifdef FRONTEND
> #define encdebug(_format, _a...)        fprintf(stderr, _format, ##_a)
> #else
> #define encdebug(_format, _a...)        elog(NOTICE, _format, ##_a)
> #endif
> #else
> #define encdebug(_format, _a...)
>    ^^^^^^^^^^^
>  line 36
>
> #endif
>
>  I don't see some problem with my gcc. Or I something overlook?

That's because this is a gcc-specific feature.  You cannot portably use
varargs macros.

Re: Beta Monday?

Дата:

> > > "..." in macro parameters is a gcc-ism.  This code is unportable and
> > > must be fixed.
> >
> > Yes, that stuff can't be done.  We do use ## to bind macro params, but
> > we don't do variable-length macro calls.  This is debug stuff anyway so
> > I am looking at how to get it compiling right away.
>
>  Hmm.. my world is comiled by 'gcc' and I'm still must learning that
> here are some cathedrals and not bazaars only :-) Sorry.
>
>  OK, please erase all these debug macros (encdebug). I used it for binary
> search check only. It's not needful. Do you want a patch (but not until
> Monday)?

OK, macros gone.  Should compile fine now for people using multibyte.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: Beta Monday?

От
Tatsuo Ishii
Дата:
> > > I am looking at how to get it compiling right away.
> >
> >  Hmm.. my world is comiled by 'gcc' and I'm still must learning that
> > here are some cathedrals and not bazaars only :-) Sorry.
> >
> >  OK, please erase all these debug macros (encdebug). I used it for binary
> > search check only. It's not needful. Do you want a patch (but not until
> > Monday)?
>
> OK, I am on it.  Removing now.

Thanks. I've been on a business trip now, and does not have good
internet access. I should have fixed the bug. Sorry for the confusion.
--
Tatsuo Ishii