Обсуждение: Replication through WAL

Replication through WAL

От
Chad La Joie
Дата:
Is there an easy way to read the WAL files generated by Postgres?  I'm
looking into writting a replication deamon for postgres and think that
the WAL files are the best way to know what has happened to the db and
what has to be replicated.  I have a roughed out idea of how to code it
up but the only thing I'm really wrestling with is how read the WAL
files.  Can anyone give me some pointers.  I've looked at all the xlog*
code and have a basic understading of how it works, but not a real good
one.  Any help on this would be appreciated.  Thanks

Re: Replication through WAL

Дата:
> Is there an easy way to read the WAL files generated by Postgres?  I'm
> looking into writting a replication deamon for postgres and think that
> the WAL files are the best way to know what has happened to the db and
> what has to be replicated.  I have a roughed out idea of how to code it
> up but the only thing I'm really wrestling with is how read the WAL
> files.  Can anyone give me some pointers.  I've looked at all the xlog*
> code and have a basic understading of how it works, but not a real good
> one.  Any help on this would be appreciated.  Thanks

Many believe WAL will be the basis for further replication features.
We will discuss this as part of 7.2 development in a few weeks.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: Replication through WAL

От
Chad La Joie
Дата:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
Okay, would it be helpful if I made a few suggestions on things that I
as a user/tool developer of postgres might find helpful?

> > Is there an easy way to read the WAL files generated by Postgres?  I'm
> > looking into writting a replication deamon for postgres and think that
> > the WAL files are the best way to know what has happened to the db and
> > what has to be replicated.  I have a roughed out idea of how to code it
> > up but the only thing I'm really wrestling with is how read the WAL
> > files.  Can anyone give me some pointers.  I've looked at all the xlog*
> > code and have a basic understading of how it works, but not a real good
> > one.  Any help on this would be appreciated.  Thanks
>
> Many believe WAL will be the basis for further replication features.
> We will discuss this as part of 7.2 development in a few weeks.

Re: Re: Replication through WAL

Дата:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Okay, would it be helpful if I made a few suggestions on things that I
> as a user/tool developer of postgres might find helpful?

Not sure.  I recommend hanging around, and when the discussion starts,
you can add things.

> > > Is there an easy way to read the WAL files generated by Postgres?  I'm
> > > looking into writting a replication deamon for postgres and think that
> > > the WAL files are the best way to know what has happened to the db and
> > > what has to be replicated.  I have a roughed out idea of how to code it
> > > up but the only thing I'm really wrestling with is how read the WAL
> > > files.  Can anyone give me some pointers.  I've looked at all the xlog*
> > > code and have a basic understading of how it works, but not a real good
> > > one.  Any help on this would be appreciated.  Thanks
> >
> > Many believe WAL will be the basis for further replication features.
> > We will discuss this as part of 7.2 development in a few weeks.
> >
> > --
> >   pgman@candle.pha.pa.us               |  (610) 853-3000
> >   +  If your life is a hard drive,     |  830 Blythe Avenue
> >   +  Christ can be your backup.        |  Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania 19026

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Pennsylvania19026