Обсуждение: Re: Week number

Re: Week number

От
Thomas Lockhart
Дата:
>  First day in week is Monday in ISO week.
>  Thomas, we have ISO week-of-year (IW in to_char or 'week' in date_part),
> but we haven't ISO day-of-week (may be as 'ID' for to_char).
> TODO for 7.2?
> ..but in ISO is 0-6; 0=Mon

I've been ignoring this until now, hoping no one would notice ;)

Unix day-of-week starts on Sunday, not Monday, which is what
date_trunc('dow',...) returns. Presumably this is modeled on the
traditional notion (at least in the US; I suspect this is true in most
European countries at least) of Sunday being "the first day of week".

The implementation predates our support of ISO dates so it was not an
issue then.

date_part() is modeled on Ingres' implementation, but my old Ingres
manual indicates that 'dow' is not one of the options.

Should we change the definition of "dow", or implement another choice,
say "idow"?

Comments?
                      - Thomas

Re: Week number

От
Karel Zak
Дата:
On Wed, Mar 14, 2001 at 02:50:35PM +0000, Thomas Lockhart wrote:
> >  First day in week is Monday in ISO week.
> >  Thomas, we have ISO week-of-year (IW in to_char or 'week' in date_part),
> > but we haven't ISO day-of-week (may be as 'ID' for to_char).
> > TODO for 7.2?
> > ..but in ISO is 0-6; 0=Mon
>
> I've been ignoring this until now, hoping no one would notice ;)
>
> Unix day-of-week starts on Sunday, not Monday, which is what
> date_trunc('dow',...) returns. Presumably this is modeled on the
> traditional notion (at least in the US; I suspect this is true in most
> European countries at least) of Sunday being "the first day of week".
>
> The implementation predates our support of ISO dates so it was not an
> issue then.
>
> date_part() is modeled on Ingres' implementation, but my old Ingres
> manual indicates that 'dow' is not one of the options.
>
> Should we change the definition of "dow", or implement another choice,
> say "idow"?
Yes, I agree with new "idow" for date_part() and 'ID' for to_char() stuff.

My note grow up when I do SQL query that say something like:

"2001-03-12 is begin of week and it's second day of week" .. this sound
very curious :-)

test=# select to_char('2001-03-12'::date, 'IW Dth Day');    to_char
------------------11 2nd Monday
(1 row)
    Karel

-- Karel Zak  <zakkr@zf.jcu.cz>http://home.zf.jcu.cz/~zakkr/C, PostgreSQL, PHP, WWW, http://docs.linux.cz,
http://mape.jcu.cz

Re: Re: Week number

От
Kaare Rasmussen
Дата:
> traditional notion (at least in the US; I suspect this is true in most
> European countries at least) of Sunday being "the first day of week".

I believe that in most European countries, Monday is the first day of the
week.

Howitzvej 75               Åben 14.00-18.00        Email: kar@webline.dk
2000 Frederiksberg        Lørdag 11.00-17.00       Web:      www.suse.dk