Обсуждение: RE: [ADMIN] SOS !!: Porstgress forgot all ! Help !

RE: [ADMIN] SOS !!: Porstgress forgot all ! Help !

От
"Mikheev, Vadim"
Дата:
> before this manipulmation, pg_log = 1.073.741.824

Ohhhh, your system reached max transaction ID -:(

> and xmin =  4982339

And now all tuples with xmin > ~5000000 are invisible.

One way to restore data could be hack vacuum to update
xmin of all valid tuples to 512, vacuum all tables,
dump data, initdb new fresh database etc -:((

Vadim

Re: RE: [ADMIN] SOS !!: Porstgress forgot all ! Help !

Дата:
"Mikheev, Vadim" <vmikheev@SECTORBASE.COM> writes:
>> before this manipulmation, pg_log = 1.073.741.824

> Ohhhh, your system reached max transaction ID -:(

That's two reports now of people who have managed to wrap around the XID
counter.  It doesn't seem that hard to do in a heavily used database.

Does anyone want to take more seriously the stopgap solution I proposed
for this problem (pghackers archives around 3-Nov-00)?  I believe you
shot it down that time, but I don't think that ignoring the problem
for another release cycle is a better answer.
        regards, tom lane

Re: RE: [ADMIN] SOS !!: Porstgress forgot all ! Help !

От
"Vadim Mikheev"
Дата:
> > Ohhhh, your system reached max transaction ID -:(
>
> That's two reports now of people who have managed to wrap around the XID
> counter.  It doesn't seem that hard to do in a heavily used database.
>
> Does anyone want to take more seriously the stopgap solution I proposed
> for this problem (pghackers archives around 3-Nov-00)?  I believe you
> shot it down that time, but I don't think that ignoring the problem
> for another release cycle is a better answer.

Actually, I believed that you've done this temp solution till I've found
that it's not true couple weeks ago. If you'll do this please don't forget
about reusing ID of *committed* transactions and crashes - this should
be handled somehow on recovery.

Vadim