Обсуждение: How PostgreSQL's floating-point hurts everyone everywhere

How PostgreSQL's floating-point hurts everyone everywhere

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Forgive me for the tacky subject, but the analogies are not far-fetched.

I was just looking whether the UNSAFE_FLOATS compile-time option could
perhaps be a run-time option, but I'm getting the feeling that it
shouldn't be an option at all.

"Safe" floats check after each floating point function call whether the
result is "in bounds". This leads to interesting results such as

peter=# select 'nan'::float8;?column?
----------     NaN
(1 row)
peter=# select 'infinity'::float8;
ERROR:  Bad float8 input format -- overflow

What happened?

The "safe floats" mode checker will fail if `result > FLOAT8_MAX', which
will kick in for 'infinity' but is false for 'nan'. The carefully crafted
support for infinities is dead code.

Also:

peter=# select 1.0/0.0;
ERROR:  float8div: divide by zero error

Division by zero is not an "error" in floating point arithmetic.

I think the CheckFloat{4,8}Val() functions should be abandoned and the
floating point results should be allowed to overflow to +Infinity or
underflow to -Infinity. There also need to be isinf() and isnan()
functions, because surely "x = 'infinity'" isn't going to work.

This is not a high-priority issue to me, nor do I feel particularly
qualified on the details, but at least we might agree that something's
wrong.

Re: How PostgreSQL's floating-point hurts everyone everywhere

От
Thomas Lockhart
Дата:
> What happened?

This may be platform-specific behavior. I see on my Linux/Mandrake box
the following:

lockhart=# select 'nan'::float8;
ERROR:  Bad float8 input format -- overflow
lockhart=# select 'infinity'::float8;
ERROR:  Bad float8 input format -- overflow

Typically, machines will trap overflow/underflow/NaN problems in
floating point, but silently ignore these properties with integer
arithmetic. It would be nice to have consistant behavior across all
types, but I'll stick to floats for discussion now.

Lots of machines (but not all) now support IEEE arithmetic. On those
machines, istm that we can and should support some of the IEEE
conventions such as NaN and +Inf/-Inf. But on those machines which do
not have this concept, we can either try to detect this during data
entry, or trap this explicitly during floating point exceptions, or
watch the backend go up in flames (which would be the default behavior).

Same with divide-by-zero troubles.

> I think the CheckFloat{4,8}Val() functions should be abandoned and the
> floating point results should be allowed to overflow to +Infinity or
> underflow to -Infinity. There also need to be isinf() and isnan()
> functions, because surely "x = 'infinity'" isn't going to work.

It does work if "infinity" is first interpreted by our input routines.

I recall running into some of these issues when coding some data
handling routines on my late, great Alpha boxes. In this case, I tried
to use the isinf() (??) routine provided by DEC (and defined in IEEE?)
to test for bad values coming from a real-time GPS tracking system. But
until I futzed with the compiler options, calling isinf() failed on any
infinity value since the value was being checked during the call to the
routine, so the value was never getting to the test!

> This is not a high-priority issue to me, nor do I feel particularly
> qualified on the details, but at least we might agree that something's
> wrong.

I'd think that, on some platforms, we can try coding things a bit
differently. But the code in there now does do some useful things for
some of the platforms we run on (though there are still holes in
possible failure modes). imho if we change things it would be to turn
some of the checking into NOOP macros on some platforms, but preserve
these for others.
                    - Thomas

Re: How PostgreSQL's floating-point hurts everyone everywhere

От
"Henry B. Hotz"
Дата:
At 4:47 PM +0000 7/20/00, Thomas Lockhart wrote:
>Typically, machines will trap overflow/underflow/NaN problems in
>floating point, but silently ignore these properties with integer
>arithmetic. It would be nice to have consistant behavior across all
>types, but I'll stick to floats for discussion now.

The IEEE standard says that that behavior must be configurable.  The
standard behavior in Fortran is to ignore floating point exceptions
as well.  Unfortunately the name of the C routine which changes it is
not defined in the standard.

This is a bit off-topic but we have this problem with the DS1
spacecraft software.  Everything is run with the exceptions enabled
because we don't want to allow those values undetected in the
attitude control calculations.  OTOH we are vulnerable to reboots
(and have had one) due to mistakes in other code.

Re: How PostgreSQL's floating-point hurts everyone everywhere

От
JanWieck@t-online.de (Jan Wieck)
Дата:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> peter=# select 1.0/0.0;
> ERROR:  float8div: divide by zero error
>
> Division by zero is not an "error" in floating point arithmetic.
   No?
   Oh, then 7 = 5 because:
       Assuming              2a = b                         | * 2                             4a = 2b
    | + 10a                            14a = 10a + 2b                  | - 7b                       14a - 7b = 10a - 5b
                | ()                     7 (2a - b) = 5 (2a - b)                | / (2a - b)
 7 = 5

   In  the  given  context,  you  should find the mistake pretty   easy.  Maybe the message should be changed to
       ERROR:  floatdiv: divide by zero nonsense                                        ^^^^^^^^
   because a division by zero results in nonsense? Or should  it   just  return a random value? What is the result of a
division  by  zero?   It's  definitely  not  infinity,  as  the   above   demonstrates!

   You  might  be looking from a managers PoV.  Managers usually   use this kind of arithmetic to choose salaries.  Any
engineer  knows that

       work = power * time
   We all know that time is money and that power is knowlede. So
       work = knowledge * money
   and thus
                 work       money = ---------               knowledge
   Obviously, the lesser you  know,  the  more  money  you  get,   independant  of  the  work  to  be  done. As soon as
youknow   nothing (zero), any money you get for the work is nonsense!

   This applies well to the real world, so it makes  sense  from   an OO PoV.  But in science, I think it's still an
error.
   Since  PostgreSQL  is an ORDBMS (not an OODBMS), I think it's   correct to report an error instead of returning some
random.

   :-)

Jan

Re: How PostgreSQL's floating-point hurts everyone everywhere

Дата:
> I'd think that, on some platforms, we can try coding things a bit
> differently. But the code in there now does do some useful things for
> some of the platforms we run on (though there are still holes in
> possible failure modes).

Yes.  But on machines that do have IEEE-compliant math, it would be
nice to act more IEEE-ish than we do.  Perhaps a compile-time option
for IEEE vs "traditional Postgres" behavior?
        regards, tom lane

Re: How PostgreSQL's floating-point hurts everyone everywhere

От
Thomas Lockhart
Дата:
> Yes.  But on machines that do have IEEE-compliant math, it would be
> nice to act more IEEE-ish than we do.  Perhaps a compile-time option
> for IEEE vs "traditional Postgres" behavior?

Sure. Sounds like a job for configure...
               - Thomas

Inprise InterBase(R) 6.0 Now Free and Open Source

От
Kaare Rasmussen
Дата:
In case you didn't notice:

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/000725/ca_inprise_2.html

Kaki Data                tshirts, merchandize      Fax:        3816 2582
Howitzvej 75               �ben 14.00-18.00        Email: kar@webline.dk
2000 Frederiksberg        L�rdag 11.00-17.00       Web:      www.suse.dk

Re: Inprise InterBase(R) 6.0 Now Free and Open Source

От
Joe Brenner
Дата:
Kaare Rasmussen <kar@webline.dk> wrote:

> In case you didn't notice:
>
> http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/000725/ca_inprise_2.html

Yes, and now the story is up on slashdot:

http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=00%2F07%2F25%2F1439226&cid=&pid=0&startat=&threshold=-1&mode=nested&commentsort=3&op=Change

So if anyone feels like taking time out to do some
evangelizing, this might be a good moment to say a few words
about Postgresql vs.  "Inprise, The Open Source Database".

In particular, this guy could use a detailed reply:

> Interbase
>
>  (Score:4, Interesting)
>  by jallen02 (:-( .) on Tuesday July 25, @09:06AM PST
>  (User #124384 Info) http://gdev.net/~jallen
>
>  I found myself wondering exactly what Interbase could do
>  for me.  So I dug through their site (not hard to find)
>  and found  this lil gem
>
>  Interbase Product Overview
>
>  Interbase has some very awesome features. The overview
>  took the tone of a semi marketing type item yet it was
>  infomrative and if you read through some of the garbage
>  its rather clear to see as a programmer/developer what
>  Interbase offers.

>  Some of the features that stuck out in my mind from the
>  over view.
>
>  -Small memory footprint
>  -Triggers
>  -Stored Procedures
>  -User Definable Functions with some 'libraries' per say
>      already defined for math and string handling
>  -Alert events
>
>  EX:A certain item goes below xyz dollars it can send an
>  alert using some sort of constant polling method. I am
>  not sure exactly what this one was.. but basically it
>  looks like whenever changes are done to the table if
>  certain criteria are met it can call up a stored
>  proc/UDF or something. This is a bit more powerful than
>  a trigger or a stored procedure since you do not have to
>  do any speical coding on a insert/update/delete.
>
>  Some other interesting things... There was a *LOAD* of
>  case studies on the interbase site.
>
>  Case Studies
>
>  I looked at some of these and they were real industry
>  proven case studies IMO.
>
>  Its Free.. and it has a good reputation
>
>  You can buy support for it
>
>  It appears to be VERY ANSI Compliant and supports all the
>  trappings of MS SQL Server.
>
>  It also claimed to be self optimizing... anyways hope this
>  provided a little information.

Re: Inprise InterBase(R) 6.0 Now Free and Open Source

От
Don Baccus
Дата:
At 03:40 PM 7/25/00 -0700, Joe Brenner wrote:

>Kaare Rasmussen <kar@webline.dk> wrote:
>
>> In case you didn't notice:
>>
>> http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/000725/ca_inprise_2.html
>
>Yes, and now the story is up on slashdot:
>
>http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=00%2F07%2F25%2F1439226&cid=&pid=0&start
at=&threshold=-1&mode=nested&commentsort=3&op=Change

>So if anyone feels like taking time out to do some
>evangelizing, this might be a good moment to say a few words
>about Postgresql vs.  "Inprise, The Open Source Database".
>
>In particular, this guy could use a detailed reply:

Just be sure to avoid any talk of outer joins ...

Re: Inprise InterBase(R) 6.0 Now Free and Open Source

От
Chris Bitmead
Дата:
$ find InterBase  -name \*.c |xargs cat |wc 481977 1417203 11430946
$ find postgresql-7.0.2 -name \*.c |xargs cat |wc 329582 1087860 8649018

$ wc InterBase/dsql/parse.y   4217   13639  103059 InterBase/dsql/parse.y
$ wc postgresql-7.0.2/src/backend/parser/gram.y   5858   20413  149104 postgresql-7.0.2/src/backend/parser/gram.y

I downloaded it, just to have a poke around. It doesn't build very
easily, if at all. The best way I can describe the source is that it is
dry reading. Not much interesting commentary. Very big source files,
with very long functions and huge case statements is how I would
characterise it. I suspect it's reasonably well written but not very
extensible in nature. I don't think this is going to set the world on
fire anytime soon.

Re: Inprise InterBase(R) 6.0 Now Free and Open Source

От
Thomas Lockhart
Дата:
> $ wc InterBase/dsql/parse.y
>     4217   13639  103059 InterBase/dsql/parse.y
> $ wc postgresql-7.0.2/src/backend/parser/gram.y
>     5858   20413  149104 postgresql-7.0.2/src/backend/parser/gram.y

Hmm. I suspect that I could shrink our gram.y by ~25% just by removing
comments and C support routines, and by consolidating some execution
blocks onto fewer lines. Does it look like their parse.y is more dense
than ours, do they do a lot of postprocessing to eliminate the yacc
rules, or have we missed the boat on writing the grammar in yacc?

Just curious; I probably won't look myself since I don't want to run the
risk of compromising our code and licensing. Or is that not an issue
with the Inprise license?
                   - Thomas

Re: Inprise InterBase(R) 6.0 Now Free and Open Source

От
Chris Bitmead
Дата:
Thomas Lockhart wrote:

> > $ wc InterBase/dsql/parse.y
> >     4217   13639  103059 InterBase/dsql/parse.y
> > $ wc postgresql-7.0.2/src/backend/parser/gram.y
> >     5858   20413  149104 postgresql-7.0.2/src/backend/parser/gram.y
>
> Hmm. I suspect that I could shrink our gram.y by ~25% just by removing
> comments and C support routines, and by consolidating some execution
> blocks onto fewer lines. Does it look like their parse.y is more dense
> than ours, do they do a lot of postprocessing to eliminate the yacc
> rules, or have we missed the boat on writing the grammar in yacc?
>
> Just curious; I probably won't look myself since I don't want to run the
> risk of compromising our code and licensing. Or is that not an issue
> with the Inprise license?

I had a bit of a look. There's no obvious reason, just maybe postgres
has a few more comments and a bit more code inside the action blocks. No
obvious problem here.

It would be a pity if we can't look and learn from Interbase in this
instance, because this is one area where there is at least a possibility
of borrowing something useful.

Chris Bitmead <chrisb@nimrod.itg.telstra.com.au> wrote:

Thomas Lockhart <lockhart@alumni.caltech.edu> wrote:

> > Just curious; I probably won't look myself since I don't want to run the
> > risk of compromising our code and licensing. Or is that not an issue
> > with the Inprise license?
>
> I had a bit of a look. There's no obvious reason, just maybe postgres
> has a few more comments and a bit more code inside the action blocks. No
> obvious problem here.
>
> It would be a pity if we can't look and learn from Interbase in this
> instance, because this is one area where there is at least a possibility
> of borrowing something useful.

Well, the license is just the Mozilla Public License with
the names changed.  I've just read through it several times,
and I think the main trouble with it is you probably really
do need to have a lawyer look at it... but I think you could
go as far as to include some of the Inprise source files
into postgresql:

http://www.inprise.com/IPL.html
  3.7. Larger Works.     You may create a Larger Work by combining Covered Code with  other code not governed by the
termsof this License and  distribute the Larger Work as a single product. In such a  case, You must make sure the
requirementsof this License  are fulfilled for the Covered Code.

The requirements seem to be pretty commonsense things...
If you use some source code from Inprise, you've got to
keep track of where the source came from, label it with
their license, list any modifications you've made, always
provide the source with any executables, etc.

There's also a bunch of stuff about how this license doesn't
release you from any third party intellectual property
claims (duh! Legal docs always seem to state the obvious at
great length).  I might wonder what would happen if Borland
owned a software patent on some algorithm that's included in
this code...

But no, I *think* that's a non-issue:
  The Initial Developer hereby grants You a world-wide,  royalty-free, non-exclusive license, subject to third  party
intellectualproperty claims:

Re: Inprise InterBase(R) 6.0 Now Free and Open Source

Дата:
> http://www.inprise.com/IPL.html
>
>    3.7. Larger Works.
>
>    You may create a Larger Work by combining Covered Code with
>    other code not governed by the terms of this License and
>    distribute the Larger Work as a single product. In such a
>    case, You must make sure the requirements of this License
>    are fulfilled for the Covered Code.
>
> The requirements seem to be pretty commonsense things...
> If you use some source code from Inprise, you've got to
> keep track of where the source came from, label it with
> their license, list any modifications you've made, always
> provide the source with any executables, etc.

But the BSD license doesn't require source for distributed binaries.
Sounds like a GPL-style restriction.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: Inprise InterBase(R) 6.0 Now Free and Open Source

От
Kaare Rasmussen
Дата:
> > The requirements seem to be pretty commonsense things...
> > If you use some source code from Inprise, you've got to
> > keep track of where the source came from, label it with
> > their license, list any modifications you've made, always
> > provide the source with any executables, etc.
>
> But the BSD license doesn't require source for distributed binaries.
> Sounds like a GPL-style restriction.

What is more important to my mind is if the license permits a developer to look
at the code and get inspired, or if the developer's mind will be "tainted" just
by looking.
I hope someone can tell; I always wake up later with my head on the keyboard
when I try to read license stuff...

Kaki Data                tshirts, merchandize      Fax:        3816 2582
Howitzvej 75               �ben 14.00-18.00        Email: kar@webline.dk
2000 Frederiksberg        L�rdag 11.00-17.00       Web:      www.suse.dk

Re: Inprise InterBase(R) 6.0 Now Free and Open Source

Дата:
Kaare Rasmussen <kar@webline.dk> writes:
> What is more important to my mind is if the license permits a
> developer to look at the code and get inspired, or if the developer's
> mind will be "tainted" just by looking.

It is not possible to be "tainted" by looking.  There are only two kinds
of intellectual property rights (at least in the USA) and neither one
creates that risk:

1. Copyright means you can't take the code verbatim, just like you can't
plagiarize a novel.  You can use the same ideas (plot, characters, etc)
but you have to express 'em in your own words.  Structure the code
differently, use different names, write your own comments, etc, and
you're clear even if you lifted the algorithm lock stock & barrel.

2. Patent means you can't use the algorithm.  However, looking doesn't
create extra risk here, because you can't use a patented algorithm
(without paying) no matter how you learned of it --- not even if you
invented it independently.

As far as I've heard, Inprise isn't claiming any patent rights in
connection with the Interbase code anyway, but it might be a good idea
for someone to check before we all start reading their code...
        regards, tom lane

Re: Inprise InterBase(R) 6.0 Now Free and Open Source

От
Chris Bitmead
Дата:
Kaare Rasmussen wrote:

> > > The requirements seem to be pretty commonsense things...
> > > If you use some source code from Inprise, you've got to
> > > keep track of where the source came from, label it with
> > > their license, list any modifications you've made, always
> > > provide the source with any executables, etc.
> >
> > But the BSD license doesn't require source for distributed binaries.
> > Sounds like a GPL-style restriction.
>
> What is more important to my mind is if the license permits a developer to look
> at the code and get inspired, or if the developer's mind will be "tainted" just
> by looking.
> I hope someone can tell; I always wake up later with my head on the keyboard
> when I try to read license stuff...

I don't think the licence terms can have any effect on this. If you take
an idea from one code base and apply it to another code-bases with a
different licence, then the applicable law is going to be fair use. And
licence terms cannot affect fair use one way or the other.

Re: Inprise InterBase(R) 6.0 Now Free and Open Source

От
Alfred Perlstein
Дата:
* Chris Bitmead <chrisb@nimrod.itg.telstra.com.au> [000730 16:52] wrote:

> > > But the BSD license doesn't require source for distributed binaries.
> > > Sounds like a GPL-style restriction.
> >
> > What is more important to my mind is if the license permits a developer to look
> > at the code and get inspired, or if the developer's mind will be "tainted" just
> > by looking.
> > I hope someone can tell; I always wake up later with my head on the keyboard
> > when I try to read license stuff...
>
> I don't think the licence terms can have any effect on this. If you take
> an idea from one code base and apply it to another code-bases with a
> different licence, then the applicable law is going to be fair use. And
> licence terms cannot affect fair use one way or the other.

With the obvious exception of patented algorithms.  You do need to
be very careful, at least one major open source project violates
USL patents.