Обсуждение: macaddr type (fwd)

macaddr type (fwd)

От
Larry Rosenman
Дата:
Now that I'm actually on -HACKERS, did this make it to the list?

Larry
----- Forwarded message (env-from ler) -----

2 Items  I noticed with PostgreSQL  7.0.2:

1) the macaddr type is NOT documented in the datatypes and functions  documentation.
2) the manufacturer list in  the mac.c module is way out  of date.    this list can be updated from
http://standards.ieee.org/regauth/oui/index.shtml   and massaging the oui.txt file available from there.

   Is there anything I can do to help this?
Also, I noticed a discussion on the INET/CIDR types ongoing here, and was wonderingif there was a way to get an output
functionfor these types that would ALWAYS printall 4 octets of the adddress for use by non-technical people.   I am
currentlywritingan IP allocation and tracking system using these types and find this  a prioblem.

Thanks!
Larry Rosenman
--
Larry Rosenman                      http://www.lerctr.org/~ler
Phone: +1 972-414-9812 (voice) Internet: ler@lerctr.org

----- End of forwarded message (env-from ler) -----

--
Larry Rosenman                      http://www.lerctr.org/~ler
Phone: +1 972-414-9812 (voice) Internet: ler@lerctr.org

Re: macaddr type (fwd)

Дата:
Larry Rosenman <ler@lerctr.org> writes:
> 1) the macaddr type is NOT documented in the datatypes and functions
>    documentation.
> 2) the manufacturer list in  the mac.c module is way out  of date.
>     this list can be updated from  http://standards.ieee.org/regauth/oui/index.shtml
>     and massaging the oui.txt file available from there.

>     Is there anything I can do to help this?

Sure: do it and submit a patch.  Doc patches gratefully accepted, too.

>  Also, I noticed a discussion on the INET/CIDR types ongoing here, and
>  was wondering if there was a way to get an output function for these
>  types that would ALWAYS print all 4 octets of the adddress for use by
>  non-technical people.  I am currently writing an IP allocation and
>  tracking system using these types and find this a prioblem.

This probably ought to be one of the considerations in the INET/CIDR
redesign that we seem to be working on.  I haven't been paying much
attention to the details, but feel free to contribute to that thread.
        regards, tom lane