Обсуждение: Book and TEMP vs. TEMPORARY

Book and TEMP vs. TEMPORARY

Дата:
I am doing the chapter on temporary tables.  Should I show examples
using TEMP or TEMPORARY?

Pennsylvania19026

Re: Book and TEMP vs. TEMPORARY

Дата:
> I am doing the chapter on temporary tables.  Should I show examples
> using TEMP or TEMPORARY?

TEMPORARY is SQL92 standard, TEMP is not.  Nuff said...
        regards, tom lane

Re: Book and TEMP vs. TEMPORARY

Дата:
> > I am doing the chapter on temporary tables.  Should I show examples
> > using TEMP or TEMPORARY?
>
> TEMPORARY is SQL92 standard, TEMP is not.  Nuff said...

OK, but TEMPORARY doesn't work on 6.5.*, right?

Pennsylvania19026

Re: Book and TEMP vs. TEMPORARY

Дата:

> > > TEMPORARY is SQL92 standard, TEMP is not.  Nuff said...
> >
> > OK, but TEMPORARY doesn't work on 6.5.*, right?
>
> Seems to work in 6.5.0, here:

Oh, that's great news.  I though it was only added in 7.0.  I now see it
in 6.5.3.  I think in 7.0 we just allowed TEMP as a user column.

For the book, TEMPORARY it is.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: Book and TEMP vs. TEMPORARY

От
Thomas Lockhart
Дата:
> > TEMPORARY is SQL92 standard, TEMP is not.  Nuff said...
> OK, but TEMPORARY doesn't work on 6.5.*, right?

Sure it does (at least as far as I can tell. The test/locale stuff has
screwed up CVS update, so I have to do a clean checkout of at least
that directory to get my tree back in shape :(

And, to beat a dead horse, I'm *still* not sure why we are carrying
along the "TEMP" variant, losing the use of that name for other
things.
                    - Thomas

South Pasadena, California

Re: Book and TEMP vs. TEMPORARY

Дата:
> > > TEMPORARY is SQL92 standard, TEMP is not.  Nuff said...
> > OK, but TEMPORARY doesn't work on 6.5.*, right?
>
> Sure it does (at least as far as I can tell. The test/locale stuff has
> screwed up CVS update, so I have to do a clean checkout of at least
> that directory to get my tree back in shape :(
>
> And, to beat a dead horse, I'm *still* not sure why we are carrying
> along the "TEMP" variant, losing the use of that name for other
> things.

Well, Tom Lane made it so we allow TEMP as an indentifier.  I now
remember that the issue with 7.0 was that everyone beat up on me because
I used TEMP instead of the SQL92-standard TEMPORARY when implementing
temporary tables.  See, it works now:
test=> create table x ( temp char(2));CREATE

Pennsylvania19026

Re: Book and TEMP vs. TEMPORARY

От
Don Baccus
Дата:
At 11:38 AM 4/6/00 -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> writes:
>> > I am doing the chapter on temporary tables.  Should I show examples
>> > using TEMP or TEMPORARY?
>>
>> TEMPORARY is SQL92 standard, TEMP is not.  Nuff said...
>
>OK, but TEMPORARY doesn't work on 6.5.*, right?

Won't 7.0 be the release version by the time the book is actually
published? :)

Re: Book and TEMP vs. TEMPORARY

Дата:

> >> TEMPORARY is SQL92 standard, TEMP is not.  Nuff said...
> >
> >OK, but TEMPORARY doesn't work on 6.5.*, right?
>
> Won't 7.0 be the release version by the time the book is actually
> published? :)

Yes.  I was just getting confirmation before putting in a 7.0-specific
thing.  However, TEMPORARY is supported in 6.5.*, so I am in good shape
with TEMPORARY.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: Book and TEMP vs. TEMPORARY

От
Don Baccus
Дата:
At 01:54 PM 4/6/00 -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:

>> Won't 7.0 be the release version by the time the book is actually
>> published? :)
>
>Yes.  I was just getting confirmation before putting in a 7.0-specific
>thing.  However, TEMPORARY is supported in 6.5.*, so I am in good shape
>with TEMPORARY.

Note the smiley, I was just teasing.

What is the current ETA on 7.0's official release, anyway?

Re: Book and TEMP vs. TEMPORARY

Дата:
> At 01:54 PM 4/6/00 -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> >> Won't 7.0 be the release version by the time the book is actually
> >> published? :)
> >
> >Yes.  I was just getting confirmation before putting in a 7.0-specific
> >thing.  However, TEMPORARY is supported in 6.5.*, so I am in good shape
> >with TEMPORARY.
>
> Note the smiley, I was just teasing.
>
> What is the current ETA on 7.0's official release, anyway?

Mid to end of April.

Pennsylvania19026