Обсуждение: CREATE VIEW fix

CREATE VIEW fix

От
Thomas Lockhart
Дата:
I've got patches to fix the CREATE VIEW command to support SQL92
syntax for result column names, a la
 CREATE VIEW (a, b, c) AS SELECT ...

It is an almost trivial fix, requiring the addition of a single field
in the View structure and a few lines of code in analyze.c.

I'll commit this at the same time I commit support for the SQL92
OVERLAPS operator, which will need an initdb anyway since there are a
few new functions in pg_proc. I believe that we have at least one
other patch coming which will force an initdb anyway, and I'll
coordinate with that.
                     - Thomas

South Pasadena, California

Re: [HACKERS] CREATE VIEW fix

От
"Ross J. Reedstrom"
Дата:
On Tue, Mar 07, 2000 at 04:14:35PM +0000, Thomas Lockhart wrote:
> I've got patches to fix the CREATE VIEW command to support SQL92
> syntax for result column names, a la
>
>   CREATE VIEW (a, b, c) AS SELECT ...
>
> It is an almost trivial fix, requiring the addition of a single field
> in the View structure and a few lines of code in analyze.c.

Hmm, couldn't you just rewrite the SELECT d, e, f ... part to use the
AS syntax? I was thinking that both:
  CREATE VIEW (a, b, c) AS SELECT d, e, f ...  CREATE VIEW AS SELECT d AS a, e AS b, f AS c ...

should result in the same VIEW being created. But, hey, don't let me
knock already written code!

> I'll commit this at the same time I commit support for the SQL92
> OVERLAPS operator, which will need an initdb anyway since there are a
> few new functions in pg_proc. I believe that we have at least one
> other patch coming which will force an initdb anyway, and I'll
> coordinate with that.
>
>                       - Thomas

Excellent: Both changes will help with the NIST test suite I'm (trying)
to run.

Ross
NSBRI Research Scientist/Programmer

Re: [HACKERS] CREATE VIEW fix

Дата:
> I've got patches to fix the CREATE VIEW command to support SQL92
> syntax for result column names, a la
>
>   CREATE VIEW (a, b, c) AS SELECT ...
>
> It is an almost trivial fix, requiring the addition of a single field
> in the View structure and a few lines of code in analyze.c.
>
> I'll commit this at the same time I commit support for the SQL92
> OVERLAPS operator, which will need an initdb anyway since there are a
> few new functions in pg_proc. I believe that we have at least one
> other patch coming which will force an initdb anyway, and I'll
> coordinate with that.

Sounds good.  We may have some people running production on 7.0 beta.
They will need to use pg_upgrade.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] CREATE VIEW fix

От
Thomas Lockhart
Дата:
> >   CREATE VIEW (a, b, c) AS SELECT ...
> Hmm, couldn't you just rewrite the SELECT d, e, f ... part to use the
> AS syntax? I was thinking that both:
>    CREATE VIEW (a, b, c) AS SELECT d, e, f ...
>    CREATE VIEW AS SELECT d AS a, e AS b, f AS c ...
> should result in the same VIEW being created. But, hey, don't let me
> knock already written code!

Not at all. Next time I'll let you write it, since this is how I
implemented it :)
                  - Thomas

South Pasadena, California