Обсуждение: psql and pager

psql and pager

От
Tatsuo Ishii
Дата:
Does anybody know how to disable "pager" of psql? It's really annoying
when I use psql in my emacs's shell buffer...
--
Tatsuo Ishii

Re: [HACKERS] psql and pager

От
Chris
Дата:
Tatsuo Ishii wrote:

> Does anybody know how to disable "pager" of psql? It's really annoying
> when I use psql in my emacs's shell buffer...

One way is to unset the PAGER environment variable.

--
Chris Bitmead
mailto:chris@bitmead.com

Re: [HACKERS] psql and pager

От
Tatsuo Ishii
Дата:
> > Does anybody know how to disable "pager" of psql? It's really annoying
> > when I use psql in my emacs's shell buffer...
>
> One way is to unset the PAGER environment variable.

New psql seems to try to use more even PAGER is not set.
--
Tatsuo Ishii

Re: [HACKERS] psql and pager

От
"Oliver Elphick"
Дата:
Tatsuo Ishii wrote: >Does anybody know how to disable "pager" of psql? It's really annoying >when I use psql in my
emacs'sshell buffer...

Before you start psql, do `export PAGER=cat'

Isle of Wight                              http://www.lfix.co.uk/oliver              PGP key from public servers; key
ID32B8FAA1                ========================================    "The LORD bless thee, and keep thee; The LORD
makehis     face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee; The      LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give
thee     peace."              Numbers 6:24-26

Re: [HACKERS] psql and pager

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On Tue, 22 Feb 2000, Tatsuo Ishii wrote:

> Does anybody know how to disable "pager" of psql? It's really annoying
> when I use psql in my emacs's shell buffer...

\pset pager

Put it in .psqlrc if you like. (Or in .psqlrc-7.0.0 to not affect the old
one.)

Re: [HACKERS] psql and pager

От
Tatsuo Ishii
Дата:
> > Does anybody know how to disable "pager" of psql? It's really annoying
> > when I use psql in my emacs's shell buffer...
>
> \pset pager
>
> Put it in .psqlrc if you like. (Or in .psqlrc-7.0.0 to not affect the old
> one.)

Thansk. I have read the man page of psql. However I misunderstood:

>Toggles the list of a pager to do table output. If the environment
>variable PAGER is set, the output is piped to the specified program.
>Otherwise more is used.
>
>In any case, psql only uses the pager if it seems appropriate.

I thought psql may use a pager even if \pset toggles off a pager.  I
need to learn English more:-)
--
Tatsuo Ishii

Re: [HACKERS] psql and pager

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On Tue, 22 Feb 2000, Tatsuo Ishii wrote:

> I thought psql may use a pager even if \pset toggles off a pager.

No, only if it's toggled on.

In the old version the use of the pager was determined by whether or not
the environment variable PAGER was set. This behaviour is not very
cooperative with other programs that might use the same variable.