Обсуждение: psql and \p\g

psql and \p\g

Дата:
I have found that typing:
test=> select * from pg_class\p\g

no longer works.  I honors the \p, but ignores the \g.

Any ideas Peter?

Pennsylvania19026

Re: psql and \p\g

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On 1999-11-11, Bruce Momjian mentioned:

> I have found that typing:
>
>     test=> select * from pg_class\p\g
>
> no longer works.  I honors the \p, but ignores the \g.
>
> Any ideas Peter?

select * from foo \p \g

This was done to normalize the grammar a little bit (haha, very
funny). In particular it allows this sort of stuff:
=> select * from foo \p \o out.txt \g \\ select * from foo 2 \x \g
etc.

Is it *really* necessary to be able to omit the space?

Re: psql and \p\g

Дата:
> On 1999-11-11, Bruce Momjian mentioned:
>
> > I have found that typing:
> >
> >     test=> select * from pg_class\p\g
> >
> > no longer works.  I honors the \p, but ignores the \g.
> >
> > Any ideas Peter?
>
> select * from foo \p \g
>
> This was done to normalize the grammar a little bit (haha, very
> funny). In particular it allows this sort of stuff:
> => select * from foo \p \o out.txt \g \\ select * from foo 2 \x \g
> etc.
>
> Is it *really* necessary to be able to omit the space?

Yes, I believe it is, in the sense that many people are used to doing
them together.  Can a backslash trigger some separation of commands, or
at least \p\g be recognized correctly.  I don't think there are other
meaningful combinations.

Can you add a unix-style timestamp for \T?

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] Re: psql and \p\g

Дата:
>> This was done to normalize the grammar a little bit (haha, very
>> funny). In particular it allows this sort of stuff:
>> => select * from foo \p \o out.txt \g \\ select * from foo 2 \x \g
>> etc.
>>
>> Is it *really* necessary to be able to omit the space?

> Yes, I believe it is, in the sense that many people are used to doing
> them together.  Can a backslash trigger some separation of commands, or
> at least \p\g be recognized correctly.  I don't think there are other
> meaningful combinations.

It'd probably be sufficient if backslash-commands that never take
parameters can be adjacent to a following backslash command.
        regards, tom lane

Re: psql and \p\g

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On Thu, 11 Nov 1999, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Can you add a unix-style timestamp for \T?

Do you mean \echo `date` ?

Re: psql and \p\g

Дата:
> On Thu, 11 Nov 1999, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > Can you add a unix-style timestamp for \T?
>
> Do you mean \echo `date` ?

Oh, very nifty.  Never mind.  I didn't see that.

Seems you have added more powerful flags to take over some of the old
flag usage. If you want to remove some of the older psql flags and
require them to use your newer syntax that allows more functionality,
you can do it.

If you want, just print an error message for the old flag showing them
the new syntax to use and we can remove the messages after a few
releases.

However, some of the more popular flags should probably be left in.
Maybe it should just be left alone.  Not sure.

Pennsylvania19026