Обсуждение: Installing Postgresql

Installing Postgresql

От
"Stiaan"
Дата:
Ok, help me here.

Whenever I try to run Postmaster or I start the deamon it gives me the error
message that he PGDATA directory cannot be found. I've set it in my
.bash_profile file in /etc/skel : /home/user : /root directories.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanx Sti

Re: Installing Postgresql

От
hitchc@vcmr-19.rcs.rpi.edu (Collin W. Hitchcock)
Дата:
"Stiaan" <foresters@pixie.co.za> writes:

> Ok, help me here.
>
> Whenever I try to run Postmaster or I start the deamon it gives me the error
> message that he PGDATA directory cannot be found. I've set it in my
> .bash_profile file in /etc/skel : /home/user : /root directories.
>
> What am I doing wrong?
>
> Thanx Sti

As a sanity test, try setting the PGDATA and PGLIB manually and
starting the postmaster manually.  Logged in as the postgres user and
looking at a bash prompt do:

export PGLIB=/wherever/you/keep/the/postgres/lib/files
export PGDATA=/wherever/you/keep/the/database
postmaster

Collin

Re: Installing Postgresql

От
les@Mars.mcs.net (Leslie Mikesell)
Дата:
In article <h4hhfj2zyfd.fsf@vcmr-19.rcs.rpi.edu>,
Collin W. Hitchcock <hitchc@vcmr-19.rcs.rpi.edu> wrote:

>"Stiaan" <foresters@pixie.co.za> writes:
>

>> Ok, help me here.
>>
>> Whenever I try to run Postmaster or I start the deamon it gives me the error
>> message that he PGDATA directory cannot be found. I've set it in my
>> .bash_profile file in /etc/skel : /home/user : /root directories.
>>
>> What am I doing wrong?

>As a sanity test, try setting the PGDATA and PGLIB manually and
>starting the postmaster manually.  Logged in as the postgres user and
>looking at a bash prompt do:
>
>export PGLIB=/wherever/you/keep/the/postgres/lib/files
>export PGDATA=/wherever/you/keep/the/database
>postmaster

Also, don't forget to do the initial 'initdb' with these
values set.
 Les Mikesell  les@mcs.com

Re: Installing Postgresql

От
"Gavin Clark"
Дата:
you're on the right track,
try exporting the PGDATA variable manually from the shell.
it's in the manual somewhere.

Gavin