Обсуждение: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql/src/backend/lib (stringinfo.c)

Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql/src/backend/lib (stringinfo.c)

От
Thomas Lockhart
Дата:
> Cope with versions of vsnprintf() written by people who
> don't read man pages...

RETURN VALUE      If the output was truncated, the return value is -1,      otherwise it is  the  number  of
characters stored,  not      including the terminating null.

Is this consistant with the behavior you see on Linux? It's a GNU
library thing...
                - Thomas

South Pasadena, California

Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql/src/backend/lib (stringinfo.c)

Дата:
>> Cope with versions of vsnprintf() written by people who
>> don't read man pages...

> RETURN VALUE
>        If the output was truncated, the return value is -1,
>        otherwise it is  the  number  of  characters  stored,  not
>        including the terminating null.

> Is this consistant with the behavior you see on Linux? It's a GNU
> library thing...

That is the behavior I saw on my Linux box, but the manpage installed
on the same box sez that the return value is equal to the passed buffer
size if there's an overrun.  Maybe the manpage is out of date.

Anyway, the fixed code copes with both conventions.

You'll need to re-initdb to get rid of the broken rules in your
database, but then things should be OK...
        regards, tom lane

Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql/src/backend/lib (stringinfo.c)

От
Thomas Lockhart
Дата:
> Anyway, the fixed code copes with both conventions.
> You'll need to re-initdb to get rid of the broken rules in your
> database, but then things should be OK...

Things look great. Thanks!

btw, any problem with trimming the numeric test back to taking a few
seconds, perhaps up to 30 seconds? It takes *way* too long at the
moment...
                     - Thomas

South Pasadena, California

Re: [HACKERS] Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql/src/backend/lib (stringinfo.c)

Дата:
> btw, any problem with trimming the numeric test back to taking a few
> seconds, perhaps up to 30 seconds? It takes *way* too long at the
> moment...

I've been griping about the slowness of the numeric test since it was
put in.  Even a 2x reduction in the time taken would be really helpful.
Jan?
        regards, tom lane