Обсуждение: How good is FreeBSD for postgres ?

How good is FreeBSD for postgres ?

От
Oleg Bartunov
Дата:
Hi,

I have to work with postgres under freeBSD 3.1-RELEASE and as I'm
completely dummy in FreeBSD I'm wondering if there are problems
with running postgres (6.5).

I installed 6.5 cvs and after playing with kernel (config. shared memory)
I ran regression tests.There were much more tests failures than in
case of my lovely :-) Linux.
Is this a known problem with latest 6.5 cvs or it's my fault ?
I used gcc 2.7.2.1.

float8 .. failed
geometry .. failed
create_function_2 .. failed
triggers .. failed
sanity_check .. failed
misc .. failed
alter_table .. failed
rules .. failed
plpgsql .. failed

I attached below some diffs.
Regards,
    Oleg

diff results/float8.out expected/float8.out

190,191d189
< ERROR:  floating point exception! The last floating point operation either exc
eeded legal ranges or was a divide by zero
< QUERY: SELECT '' AS bad, f.f1 ^ '1e200' from FLOAT8_TBL f;
192a191,192
> QUERY: SELECT '' AS bad, f.f1 ^ '1e200' from FLOAT8_TBL f;
> ERROR:  pow() result is out of range
198,206c198
< bad|            ?column?
< ---+--------------------
<    |                   1
<    |7.39912306090513e-16
<    |                   0
<    |                   0
<    |                   1
< (5 rows)
<
---
> ERROR:  exp() result is out of range
223a216
> ERROR:  Input '10e-400' is out of range for float8
224a218
> ERROR:  Input '-10e-400' is out of range for float8

diff results/create_function_2.out expected/create_function_2.out
41,44d40
< pqReadData() -- backend closed the channel unexpectedly.
<       This probably means the backend terminated abnormally
<       before or while processing the request.
< We have lost the connection to the backend, so further processing is impossibl
e.  Terminating.

diff results/triggers.out expected/triggers.out
39,42c39,285
< pqReadData() -- backend closed the channel unexpectedly.
<       This probably means the backend terminated abnormally
<       before or while processing the request.
< We have lost the connection to the backend, so further processing is impossibl
e.  Terminating.
---
> QUERY: insert into fkeys2 values (30, '3', 2);
..... cutted .....

diff results/sanity_check.out expected/sanity_check.out
13,14d12
< fkeys         |t
< fkeys2        |t
29d26
< pkeys         |t
34c31
< (26 rows)
---
> (23 rows)

diff results/misc.out expected/misc.out
9,12c9,514
< pqReadData() -- backend closed the channel unexpectedly.
<       This probably means the backend terminated abnormally
<       before or while processing the request.
< We have lost the connection to the backend, so further processing is impossibl
e.  Terminating.
---
> QUERY: UPDATE tmp....... cutted .....

diff results/plpgsql.out expected/plpgsql.out
875d874
< ERROR:  Load of file /usr/local/pgsql/lib/plpgsql.so failed: dlopen '/usr/loca
l/pgsql/lib/plpgsql.so' failed. (/usr/local/pgsql/lib/plpgsql.so: Undefined symb
ol "CurrentMemoryContext")
877d875
< ERROR:  Can't find function plpgsql_call_handler in file /usr/local/pgsql/lib/
plpgsql.so
879d876
< ERROR:  Can't find function plpgsql_call_handler in file /usr/local/pgsql/lib/
plpgsql.so
.... cutted ...

phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83

Re: [HACKERS] How good is FreeBSD for postgres ?

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
All known problems...I've always run PostgreSQL under FreeBSD, and have
yet to notice a problem with a -release version of it...

The regression tests are "base Linux", and some of the generated error
messages are different between the systems and/or rounding is slighty
different...

On Sat, 15 May 1999, Oleg Bartunov wrote:

> [...]
>

> diff results/plpgsql.out expected/plpgsql.out
> 875d874
> < ERROR:  Load of file /usr/local/pgsql/lib/plpgsql.so failed: dlopen '/usr/loca
> l/pgsql/lib/plpgsql.so' failed. (/usr/local/pgsql/lib/plpgsql.so: Undefined symb
> ol "CurrentMemoryContext")
> 877d875
> < ERROR:  Can't find function plpgsql_call_handler in file /usr/local/pgsql/lib/
> plpgsql.so
> 879d876
> < ERROR:  Can't find function plpgsql_call_handler in file /usr/local/pgsql/lib/
> plpgsql.so
> .... cutted ...

> Oleg Bartunov, sci.researcher, hostmaster of AstroNet,
> Sternberg Astronomical Institute, Moscow University (Russia)
> Internet: oleg@sai.msu.su, http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/
> phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: [HACKERS] How good is FreeBSD for postgres ?

Дата:
The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org> writes:
> All known problems...I've always run PostgreSQL under FreeBSD, and have
> yet to notice a problem with a -release version of it...
> The regression tests are "base Linux", and some of the generated error
> messages are different between the systems and/or rounding is slighty
> different...

The backend crashes that he's showing in some of the tests are not
known problems (to me anyway).  Any ideas?  Oleg, can you provide
debugger backtraces from the corefiles those crashes generate?
        regards, tom lane

Re: [HACKERS] How good is FreeBSD for postgres ?

От
Oleg Bartunov
Дата:
I read across /usr/ports/databases/postgresql on my FreeBSD 3.1 release
elf machine and found a lot of patches to postgres 6.4.2
It seems they are didn't applied - I checked 6.5 cvs.
What is the status of this port ? Is there is a chance to apply them
into 6.5 release ?

Regards,        Oleg

On Sun, 16 May 1999, Tom Lane wrote:

> Date: Sun, 16 May 1999 10:03:32 -0400
> From: Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>
> To: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
> Cc: Oleg Bartunov <oleg@sai.msu.su>, pgsql-hackers@postgreSQL.org
> Subject: Re: [HACKERS] How good is FreeBSD for postgres ?
>
> The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org> writes:
> > All known problems...I've always run PostgreSQL under FreeBSD, and have
> > yet to notice a problem with a -release version of it...
> > The regression tests are "base Linux", and some of the generated error
> > messages are different between the systems and/or rounding is slighty
> > different...
>
> The backend crashes that he's showing in some of the tests are not
> known problems (to me anyway).  Any ideas?  Oleg, can you provide
> debugger backtraces from the corefiles those crashes generate?
>
>             regards, tom lane

phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83

Re: [HACKERS] How good is FreeBSD for postgres ?

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
Will look at them right now...