Обсуждение: RE: [HACKERS] dynamic libraries

RE: [HACKERS] dynamic libraries

От
"Jackson, DeJuan"
Дата:
> >    How are people handling the fact that libpq is dynamic, and psql
> needs
> >    to find it.  I don't see people using -rpath as a link option.
> >
> >    Are people setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH to the PostgreSQL library
> directory?
> >
> > Using ldconfig and /etc/ld.so.conf:
> >
> >      # ld.so.conf
> >      /usr/X11R6/lib
> >      /usr/pkg/lib
> >      /usr/local/lib
> >      /usr/local/pgsql/lib
> >
> > This is on NetBSD 1.3.2.
>
> ELF shared libraries are new to BSDI 4.0, so I was a little confused.
> editied ld.so.conf, but did not know I needed to run ldconfig, which I
> have done figured out, and it works.
>
> My larger question is why we don't get more reports of problems like
> this.  Do novices just know to go edit ld.so.conf, and run ldconfig?
>
> It is probably in the Linux FAQ, but is everyone reading that when
> they
> get the error?
>
> I am trying to figure out how to deal with this for BSDI 4.0 users.  I
> am sure they are going to be confused.
It's in the INSTALL file.  Or at least it was.
        -DEJ

Re: [HACKERS] dynamic libraries

Дата:
> > have done figured out, and it works.
> >
> > My larger question is why we don't get more reports of problems like
> > this.  Do novices just know to go edit ld.so.conf, and run ldconfig?
> >
> > It is probably in the Linux FAQ, but is everyone reading that when
> > they
> > get the error?
> >
> > I am trying to figure out how to deal with this for BSDI 4.0 users.  I
> > am sure they are going to be confused.
> It's in the INSTALL file.  Or at least it was.

I have updated the INSTALL and sgml/INSTALL files to recommend ldconfig
on Linux/ELF and any ELF-based system.

Re: [HACKERS] dynamic libraries

От
Brook Milligan
Дата:
   I have updated the INSTALL and sgml/INSTALL files to recommend ldconfig
   on Linux/ELF and any ELF-based system.

It's not an ELF thing!  This applies to any (I think) shared library
system.  At least I know my NetBSD a.out system uses ldconfig in this
way.  Your note should be more general.

Cheers,
Brook

Re: [HACKERS] dynamic libraries

Дата:
>    I have updated the INSTALL and sgml/INSTALL files to recommend ldconfig
>    on Linux/ELF and any ELF-based system.
>
> It's not an ELF thing!  This applies to any (I think) shared library
> system.  At least I know my NetBSD a.out system uses ldconfig in this
> way.  Your note should be more general.

Yes, I wanted to improve it too.  ELF came with SVr4, and the Linux
mention, while valuable for a large base of users, was misleading to others.

Here is the new text:

 If necessary, tell UNIX how to find your shared libraries.  If you
     are using an ELF-based system, such as Linux, do ONE of the following,
     preferably the first:

Re: [HACKERS] dynamic libraries

От
Brook Milligan
Дата:
   Yes, I wanted to improve it too.  ELF came with SVr4, and the Linux
   mention, while valuable for a large base of users, was misleading to others.

   Here is the new text:

    If necessary, tell UNIX how to find your shared libraries.  If you
    are using an ELF-based system, such as Linux, do ONE of the following,
    preferably the first:

I'm not sure what your list is that follows this, but if it includes
either LD_LIBRARY_PATH or /etc/ld.so.conf and ldconfig, then your
restriction to ELF is not correct.  (And why single out Linux for
special notes when postgresql applies MUCH more broadly and ELF is
MUCH more widely used than on Linux boxes?)

Perhaps you can say something like

    If necessary, tell UNIX how to find your shared libraries.
    Commonly, ONE of the following (preferably the first) is
    sufficient:

    - mention /etc/ld.so.conf and ldconfig
    - mention LD_LIBRARY_PATH

If there really are system-specific things, they can be added to the
list with a caveat about their applicability.

Cheers,
Brook

Re: [HACKERS] dynamic libraries

Дата:
>     If necessary, tell UNIX how to find your shared libraries.
>     Commonly, ONE of the following (preferably the first) is
>     sufficient:
>
>     - mention /etc/ld.so.conf and ldconfig
>     - mention LD_LIBRARY_PATH
>
> If there really are system-specific things, they can be added to the
> list with a caveat about their applicability.

I have changed it to:

 14) If necessary, tell UNIX how to find your shared libraries.  You can
     do ONE of the following, preferably the first:

Re: [HACKERS] dynamic libraries

От
Peter T Mount
Дата:
On Fri, 9 Oct 1998, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > > have done figured out, and it works.
> > >
> > > My larger question is why we don't get more reports of problems like
> > > this.  Do novices just know to go edit ld.so.conf, and run ldconfig?
> > >
> > > It is probably in the Linux FAQ, but is everyone reading that when
> > > they
> > > get the error?
> > >
> > > I am trying to figure out how to deal with this for BSDI 4.0 users.  I
> > > am sure they are going to be confused.
> > It's in the INSTALL file.  Or at least it was.
>
> I have updated the INSTALL and sgml/INSTALL files to recommend ldconfig
> on Linux/ELF and any ELF-based system.

ldconfig was there before ELF became popular.

When I originally started using Linux back in 94, I was using Slackware,
and it used aout. ldconfig was in use then.

--
       Peter T Mount peter@retep.org.uk
      Main Homepage: http://www.retep.org.uk