Обсуждение: AW: [HACKERS] regular expressions from hell

AW: [HACKERS] regular expressions from hell

От
Andreas Zeugswetter

>> The latest version of Rx, 1.9, is available on the web at:
>>
>>     http://users.lanminds.com/~lord
>>     ftp://emf.net/users/lord/src/rx-1.9.tar.gz
>>  and at ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/rx-1.9.tar.gz and mirrors of that
>>                                                 site (see list below).
>
>The reason that we do not use this particular Regex package is that *it*
>falls under the "Almighty GPL", which conflicts with our Berkeley
>Copyright...

I thought we had an agreement that GNU software could be
included in postgresql without imposing a GPL on postgresql,
as long as it is delivered in it's whole, probably in it's own subdirectory,
with the GPL only applying to this subdirectory.

Andreas

Re: AW: [HACKERS] regular expressions from hell

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
On Tue, 30 Jun 1998, Andreas Zeugswetter wrote:

> >> The latest version of Rx, 1.9, is available on the web at:
> >>
> >>     http://users.lanminds.com/~lord
> >>     ftp://emf.net/users/lord/src/rx-1.9.tar.gz
> >>  and at ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/rx-1.9.tar.gz and mirrors of that
> >>                                                 site (see list below).
> >
> >The reason that we do not use this particular Regex package is that *it*
> >falls under the "Almighty GPL", which conflicts with our Berkeley
> >Copyright...
>
> I thought we had an agreement that GNU software could be
> included in postgresql without imposing a GPL on postgresql,
> as long as it is delivered in it's whole, probably in it's own subdirectory,
> with the GPL only applying to this subdirectory.

    Only those that fall under LGPL, not GPL...

dg@illustra.com (David Gould)

> > >The reason that we do not use this particular Regex package is that *it*
> > >falls under the "Almighty GPL", which conflicts with our Berkeley
> > >Copyright...
> >
> > I thought we had an agreement that GNU software could be
> > included in postgresql without imposing a GPL on postgresql,
> > as long as it is delivered in it's whole, probably in it's own subdirectory,
> > with the GPL only applying to this subdirectory.
>
>     Only those that fall under LGPL, not GPL...

As it happens, rx-1.9 is not under either the GPL, or the LGPL. The author
offers a range of free and commercial licenses. It appears that we could
use this software, but the safest bet would be to contact the author and ask
as the license documents are not as well spelled out as the Gnu licences and
I may have misunderstood them.

-dg

David Gould            dg@illustra.com           510.628.3783 or 510.305.9468
Informix Software  (No, really)         300 Lakeside Drive  Oakland, CA 94612
Q: Someone please enlighten me, but what are they packing into NT5 to
make it twice the size of NT4/EE?