Обсуждение: Re: Appended a string of text to each line in a file

Re: Appended a string of text to each line in a file

> > Let me add that I have found GNU sed version 1.* to be often 2-3 times
> > faster then BSD sed, so it may not be sed itself, but the BSD
> > implementation.
>
> That one's probably my fault.  BSD's regex(3) routines, which I think its
> sed uses, are the ones I did for 4.4BSD... and they're an alpha release
> and are a trifle slow. :-)  There is hope for a better set in the near
> future, however.
>
>                                                            Henry Spencer
>                                                        henry@zoo.toronto.edu

Henry, I am CC'ing this to the PostgreSQL group.  (See
www.postgresql.org for more info.)  Hey folks, guess who wrote our regex
stuff.

    Copyright 1992, 1993, 1994 Henry Spencer.  All rights reserved.

Henry, will the new code you write be in the public domain, or only part
of BSDI?  Would you recommend we replace our regex stuff with something
else?  Do you have any patches you would like us to test?

maillist@candle.pha.pa.us

Re: Appended a string of text to each line in a file

От
Henry Spencer
Дата:
> Henry, will the new code you write be in the public domain, or only part
> of BSDI?

The new regex code will be under essentially the same redistribution terms
as the old stuff (in fact, slightly more generous).  BSDI didn't end up
contributing to this particular project, and the folks who did were all
happy with open redistribution.

I should clarify that this code isn't "to be written" -- it already exists,
although I'm not entirely happy with it yet and want to limit distribution
until it's tidied up somewhat.

> Would you recommend we replace our regex stuff with something else?

My only real competitor :-) right now appears to be the GNU rx package,
and I have heard enough grumbling about it that I hesitate to recommend
it for general use.  It's faster but it has problems, is my impression;
I have not examined it closely.

> Do you have any patches you would like us to test?

Nothing quite yet.  Incidentally, the new code is a from-scratch
reimplementation, not just patches to the 4.4 one.

                                                           Henry Spencer
                                                       henry@zoo.toronto.edu

Re: [HACKERS] Re: Appended a string of text to each line in a file

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
On Mon, 23 Feb 1998, Henry Spencer wrote:

> My only real competitor :-) right now appears to be the GNU rx package,
> and I have heard enough grumbling about it that I hesitate to recommend
> it for general use.  It's faster but it has problems, is my impression;
> I have not examined it closely.

    And...we wouldn't sully our code with a GNU license anyway :)  We
are being very very careful about that...

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: [HACKERS] Re: Appended a string of text to each line in a file

От
Henry Spencer
Дата:
> > My only real competitor :-) right now appears to be the GNU rx package,
> > and I have heard enough grumbling about it that I hesitate...
>
>     And...we wouldn't sully our code with a GNU license anyway :)  We
> are being very very careful about that...

Ah yes, there's that...  As one of my friends calls it, the "GNU Public
Virus"...

                                                           Henry Spencer
                                                       henry@zoo.toronto.edu