Обсуждение: Re: [HACKERS] Re: development

Re: [HACKERS] Re: development

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
On Tue, 30 Dec 1997, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> The following was sent to me.  Does it fit our needs anywhere?  Let's
> discuss it.

    Did we ever go anywhere on this one?  I just got into mp3's here
at home...something like this might be cool for that, or for large images
libraries?

> > I wrote an indexed file system some time ago in ANSI C.  I've compiled
> > and used it on several platforms, but have never aspired to do very much
> > with it.  I'm not really the marketing type, and I don't want to compete
> > with existing standards.
> >
> > I wonder if it could make any contribution to the PostgreSQL effort?
> > Here are the pluses and minuses:
> >
> > - Pluses:
> >   - 1-255 single-part keys
> >   - 1-65535 key size anywhere in the record
> >   - 1-65535 record size
> >   - No limit on number of records
> >   - Fixed or variable record lengths
> >   - 2GB maximum file size
> >   - Overhead per record in bytes = 12 * number of keys
> >   - Reclaims deleted record space (all for fixed length records, >= for
> > variable)
> >   - Bi-directional traversals
> >   - Portability
> >
> > - Minuses:
> >   - File locking, not record locking (only one record may be written at
> > a time)
> >   - Trees are not balanced (could end up as a linked list in worst
> > case).  This implies the need for maintenence.
> >   - There may be others...?
> >

> > Maybe it could do strange sorts or handle BLOBs.  If you think it could
> > make a contribution I'd be willing to learn and work on the appropriate
> > code.  You're welcome to a copy of it or any additional information you
> > might want.
> >

> --
> Bruce Momjian
> maillist@candle.pha.pa.us

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: [HACKERS] Re: development

От
Alton Moore III
Дата:
>         Did we ever go anywhere on this one?  I just got into mp3's here
> at home...something like this might be cool for that, or for large images
> libraries?

I just didn't see the extraordinary usefulness of it myself.  I figured
a named file would reside in a directory as easily as we could move it
in and out of one big indexed file.

There's also the 64k size limit per record, which is easily gotten
around, but again, the original file has no such restrictions.

If you tell me it'll be useful I'll do it up in a function and send it
to you.  But I don't see the compelling need for it yet.