Обсуждение: different empty array syntax requirements

different empty array syntax requirements

От
Scott Ribe
Дата:
How is that one pgsql build (both are 9.5.2) has different casting behavior for empty arrays:

ericmj=# select ARRAY[]::text[];
 array
-------
 {}
(1 row)

ericmj=# select (ARRAY[])::text[];
 array
-------
 {}
(1 row)

--VS--

pedcard=# select ARRAY[]::text[];
 array
-------
 {}
(1 row)

pedcard=# select (ARRAY[])::text[];
ERROR:  cannot determine type of empty array
LINE 1: select (ARRAY[])::text[];
                ^
HINT:  Explicitly cast to the desired type, for example ARRAY[]::integer[].

--
Scott Ribe
scott_ribe@elevated-dev.com

Re: different empty array syntax requirements

От
Alvaro Aguayo Garcia-Rada

Looks like one has the appropiate cast operator, while the other hasn't. Have you tried doing the same, on both server, on an empty database created from template0?

Regards,

Alvaro Aguayo
Jefe de Operaciones
Open Comb Systems E.I.R.L.

Oficina: (+51-1) 3377813 | RPM: #034252 / (+51) 995540103  | RPC: (+51) 954183248
Website: www.ocs.pe

Sent from my Sony Xperia™ smartphone

---- Scott Ribe wrote ----

[...]

Дата:
Scott Ribe <scott_ribe@elevated-dev.com> writes:
> How is that one pgsql build (both are 9.5.2) has different casting behavior for empty arrays:
> pedcard=# select (ARRAY[])::text[];
> ERROR:  cannot determine type of empty array
> LINE 1: select (ARRAY[])::text[];
>                 ^
> HINT:  Explicitly cast to the desired type, for example ARRAY[]::integer[].

... wtf?

[ thinks for awhile ... ]

Oh!  I bet this explains it:

regression=#  select (ARRAY[])::text[];
 array
-------
 {}
(1 row)

regression=# set operator_precedence_warning = on;
SET
regression=#  select (ARRAY[])::text[];
ERROR:  cannot determine type of empty array
LINE 1: select (ARRAY[])::text[];
                ^
HINT:  Explicitly cast to the desired type, for example ARRAY[]::integer[].

The parens turn into an actual parsetree node when
operator_precedence_warning is on, and the cast-of-an-array hack doesn't
know it should look through such a node.  That's a bug.  Will fix it.

            regards, tom lane

Re: different empty array syntax requirements

От
Scott Ribe
Дата:
On Apr 21, 2016, at 8:25 PM, Alvaro Aguayo Garcia-Rada <aaguayo@opensysperu.com> wrote:

> Looks like one has the appropiate cast operator, while the other hasn't. Have you tried doing the same, on both
server,on an empty database created from template0?

Excellent suggestion:

pedcard=# create database test;
CREATE DATABASE
pedcard=# \c test
SSL connection (protocol: TLSv1, cipher: DHE-RSA-AES256-SHA, bits: 256, compression: off)
You are now connected to database "test" as user "admin".
test=# select (ARRAY[])::text[];
ERROR:  cannot determine type of empty array
LINE 1: select (ARRAY[])::text[];
                ^
HINT:  Explicitly cast to the desired type, for example ARRAY[]::integer[].

--
Scott Ribe
scott_ribe@elevated-dev.com
http://www.elevated-dev.com/
https://www.linkedin.com/in/scottribe/
(303) 722-0567 voice

Re: different empty array syntax requirements

От
Scott Ribe
Дата:
On Apr 21, 2016, at 8:37 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> The parens turn into an actual parsetree node when
> operator_precedence_warning is on, and the cast-of-an-array hack doesn't
> know it should look through such a node.

I figured that. The mystery is why on my pg, and not on the other. I've asked the other guy to try it in a
newly-createddatabase.

> That's a bug.  Will fix it.

OK, cool.