Обсуждение: 9.4 -> 9.5 dump size reduction

9.4 -> 9.5 dump size reduction

От
Seb
Дата:
Hello,

I recently upgraded a server from 9.4 to 9.5 (Debian) via
pg_upgradecluster.  The upgrade finished well, and so far the databases
in the upgraded cluster seem in good form.  However, I noticed a
dramatic reduction in the size of the dump created by the new server.
One of the databases was 34G when dumped by the 9.4 server is now dumped
at 1.1G in the new 9.5 version (using pg_dump -Fc in both cases).  What
has caused such remarkable improvement?!

Seb

Re: 9.4 -> 9.5 dump size reduction

Дата:
Seb <spluque@gmail.com> writes:
> I recently upgraded a server from 9.4 to 9.5 (Debian) via
> pg_upgradecluster.  The upgrade finished well, and so far the databases
> in the upgraded cluster seem in good form.  However, I noticed a
> dramatic reduction in the size of the dump created by the new server.
> One of the databases was 34G when dumped by the 9.4 server is now dumped
> at 1.1G in the new 9.5 version (using pg_dump -Fc in both cases).  What
> has caused such remarkable improvement?!

That seems really fishy.  Better check to see if all your data
is still there :-(

            regards, tom lane

Re: 9.4 -> 9.5 dump size reduction

От
"FarjadFarid\(ChkNet\)"
Дата:
Before transferring the data.

Compare the default settings and logging configuration.

> I recently upgraded a server from 9.4 to 9.5 (Debian) via
> pg_upgradecluster.  The upgrade finished well, and so far the
> databases in the upgraded cluster seem in good form.  However, I
> noticed a dramatic reduction in the size of the dump created by the new
server.
> One of the databases was 34G when dumped by the 9.4 server is now
> dumped at 1.1G in the new 9.5 version (using pg_dump -Fc in both
> cases).  What has caused such remarkable improvement?!

That seems really fishy.  Better check to see if all your data is still
there :-(

Re: 9.4 -> 9.5 dump size reduction

От
Sebastian P. Luque
Дата:
On Thu, 11 Feb 2016 23:48:53 -0500,
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> Seb <spluque@gmail.com> writes:
>> I recently upgraded a server from 9.4 to 9.5 (Debian) via
>> pg_upgradecluster.  The upgrade finished well, and so far the
>> databases in the upgraded cluster seem in good form.  However, I
>> noticed a dramatic reduction in the size of the dump created by the
>> new server.  One of the databases was 34G when dumped by the 9.4
>> server is now dumped at 1.1G in the new 9.5 version (using pg_dump
>> -Fc in both cases).  What has caused such remarkable improvement?!

> That seems really fishy.  Better check to see if all your data is
> still there :-(

Sure enough, upon closer inspection I see that the pgagent job that was
generating these dumps had aborted before finishing.  It looks like the
upgrade interrupted the job.  I've restarted the agent, reran the job
right away, and now see that the dumps with the new server haven't
changed size, and all data are there.

Sorry for the premature post,

--
Seb