Обсуждение: Overhead changing varchar(2000) to text

Overhead changing varchar(2000) to text

От
Edson Richter
Дата:
Hi!

I do have several tables that uses varchar(2000) as store for remarks.
Lately, one customer need to store more than 2000 characteres, and I'm
considering changing from varchar(2000) to text.

What is the overhead?

Is there any place where I can learn about storage impacto for each data
type?

Atenciosamente,

Edson Carlos Ericksson Richter

Re: Overhead changing varchar(2000) to text

От
Kevin Grittner
Дата:
On Wed, Dec 9, 2015 at 5:13 PM, Edson Richter <edsonrichter@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I do have several tables that uses varchar(2000) as store for remarks.
> Lately, one customer need to store more than 2000 characteres, and I'm
> considering changing from varchar(2000) to text.
>
> What is the overhead?

None -- they are stored in exactly the same format; the only
difference is whether the length is limited.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/interactive/datatype-character.html

--
Kevin Grittner
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: Overhead changing varchar(2000) to text

От
Kevin Grittner
Дата:
On Wed, Dec 9, 2015 at 5:17 PM, Kevin Grittner <kgrittn@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 9, 2015 at 5:13 PM, Edson Richter <edsonrichter@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I do have several tables that uses varchar(2000) as store for remarks.
>> Lately, one customer need to store more than 2000 characteres, and I'm
>> considering changing from varchar(2000) to text.
>>
>> What is the overhead?
>
> None -- they are stored in exactly the same format; the only
> difference is whether the length is limited.

I probably should have mentioned that an ALTER TABLE to change the
column type from varchar(2000) to text does not rewrite the data
(since it is in the same format) -- it just changes the catalogs to
reflect the lack of a limit on length.  Changing the other way
would require a pass to check that all existing data passes the
length check.

>> Is there any place where I can learn about storage impacto for each data
>> type?
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/interactive/datatype-character.html

While it's fairly technical, you might also be interested in this:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/interactive/storage-toast.html

--
Kevin Grittner
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Overhead changing varchar(2000) to text

От
Edson Richter
Дата:
Thanks.
After reading, I've run some tests and found no storage changes in
tables moving from varchar(2000) to text.
Actually, the biggest change is that I don't have to keep another
constraint between app and database - if I want to increase the user
perceived space, now I just have to change the application (of course,
under the limits).

Em 09/12/2015 21:17, Kevin Grittner escreveu:
> On Wed, Dec 9, 2015 at 5:13 PM, Edson Richter <edsonrichter@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I do have several tables that uses varchar(2000) as store for remarks.
>> Lately, one customer need to store more than 2000 characteres, and I'm
>> considering changing from varchar(2000) to text.
>>
>> What is the overhead?
> None -- they are stored in exactly the same format; the only
> difference is whether the length is limited.
>
>> Is there any place where I can learn about storage impacto for each data
>> type?
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/interactive/datatype-character.html

Re: Overhead changing varchar(2000) to text

От
Jim Nasby
Дата:
On 12/9/15 5:43 PM, Edson Richter wrote:
> Actually, the biggest change is that I don't have to keep another
> constraint between app and database - if I want to increase the user
> perceived space, now I just have to change the application (of course,
> under the limits).

For what it's worth, I usually put some limit on fields that a webapp
can write to in the database. That way a bug in the app (or malicious
action) can't just start allocating gigabytes of stuff in your database.

Re: Overhead changing varchar(2000) to text

От
Edson Richter
Дата:
Em 15/12/2015 00:27, Jim Nasby escreveu:
> On 12/9/15 5:43 PM, Edson Richter wrote:
>> Actually, the biggest change is that I don't have to keep another
>> constraint between app and database - if I want to increase the user
>> perceived space, now I just have to change the application (of course,
>> under the limits).
>
> For what it's worth, I usually put some limit on fields that a webapp
> can write to in the database. That way a bug in the app (or malicious
> action) can't just start allocating gigabytes of stuff in your database.

Thanks, Jim. It is a wise advice.
I really do that today, but I'll start double checking all text fields
with special care.

Kind regards,