Обсуждение: Are there any major benefits to using point and not real data type

Are there any major benefits to using point and not real data type

От
romeo407
Дата:
I am using postgres 9.4 and am new to this but I have 2 columns right now
latitudes & longitudes. I have them saved as a real column so they take up 4
bits each 8 altogether. I see that point is used for latitudes and
longitudes but it is a whopping 16 bits are there any benefits (Performance)
of using point over real datatype for coordinates? I plan on using indexes
on the column and do receive a lot of inserts .

Re: Are there any major benefits to using point and not real data type

От
John R Pierce
Дата:
On 10/19/2015 11:33 AM, romeo407 wrote:
> I am using postgres 9.4 and am new to this but I have 2 columns right now
> latitudes & longitudes. I have them saved as a real column so they take up 4
> bits each 8 altogether. I see that point is used for latitudes and
> longitudes but it is a whopping 16 bits are there any benefits (Performance)
> of using point over real datatype for coordinates? I plan on using indexes
> on the column and do receive a lot of inserts .

32bit REAL values of latitude and longitude are not very precise, maybe
4 arcseconds of latitude and 30 arcseconds of longitude... thats on the
order of up to nearly a km of error.