Обсуждение: alter column type

alter column type

От
Casey Deccio
Дата:
I have a database in which one table references the primary key of another.  The type of the primary key was initially int, but I changed it to bigint.  However, I forgot to update the type of a column that references it.  So, I've initiated "ALTER TABLE foo ALTER COLUMN bar TYPE bigint", where foo/bar is the table/column referencing the primary key that is now of type bigint.

However, with 2^31 rows, it is taking a "long" time to write the rows (it's been 12 hours).  Is there a more efficient way to do this?  Even if/when this one finishes, there are other column types that I have to update.  This update effectively locked me out of all access to the data anyway, so I don't foresee any concern of writes that might affect integrity.

Cheers,
Casey

Re: alter column type

От
Melvin Davidson
CAUTION: This is very dangerous and may cause corruption.
         *** DO THIS IN A TEST DATABASE FIRST ***

--1. Get the oid for int8 (bigint)
SELECT t.oid
  FROM pg_type t
WHERE typname = 'int8';

--2. Get the oid for your table
SELECT c.oid,
       c.relname as table,
       a.attname ,
       a.atttypid,
       a.*
  FROM pg_class c
  JOIN pg_namespace n ON (n.oid = c.relnamespace)
  JOIN pg_attribute a ON ( a.attrelid = c.oid )
 WHERE c.relname = 'dogs'
   AND n.nspname = 'public'
   AND a.attname = 'good_watchdog'
   AND NOT attisdropped;