Обсуждение: Archeiving and Purging

Archeiving and Purging

От
adityagis
Дата:
Dear Users,
 I have lots of data in my DB. I need to do archeiving and purging of my
data.
Can anyone please help me with step by step riles?

Thanks in Advance.
Aditya Kumar

Re: Archeiving and Purging

От
John R Pierce
Дата:
On 3/18/2015 7:20 AM, adityagis wrote:
>   I have lots of data in my DB. I need to do archeiving and purging of my
> data.
> Can anyone please help me with step by step riles?

like this?

select * from table where datefield < current_date-interval '6 months';
delete from table where datefield < current_date-interval '6 months';

obviously, save the data you selected in a suitable archive file. repeat
this for each table you wish to 'archive and purge'.

alter the interval with whatever criteria you want to use for this
archive and purge operation.

--
john r pierce, from the mid left coast

Re: Archeiving and Purging

От
"David G. Johnston"
Дата:
  I have lots of data in my DB. I need to do archeiving and purging of my
data.
Can anyone please help me with step by step riles?

like this?

select * from table where datefield < current_date-interval '6 months';
delete from table where datefield < current_date-interval '6 months';

obviously, save the data you selected in a suitable archive file. repeat this for each table you wish to 'archive and purge'.

alter the interval with whatever criteria you want to use for this archive and purge operation.

Or, pg_dump followed by a drop database...maybe followed by pg_restore (schema only)...

Probably suggest a COPY ... TO, via psql or or the server depending, if doing a partial archive.

Not sure what step-by_step commands should be used given the lack of o/s, client libraries, or intended result specifics.  The documentation, postgresql and/or operating system, will tell how but passing in the proper "arguments" requires more knowledge than has been provided.

Re: Archeiving and Purging

От
Samuel Smith
Дата:
On 03/18/2015 09:20 AM, adityagis wrote:
> Dear Users,
>   I have lots of data in my DB. I need to do archeiving and purging of my
> data.
> Can anyone please help me with step by step riles?
>

> Thanks in Advance.
> Aditya Kumar

This is where partitioning comes in: https://github.com/keithf4/pg_partman

After that is set up, you would only need to drop the partition which
would take only a second or so. Problem is, it will probably take awhile
to get the data into a partitioned scheme.

Of course, I don't know what you mean by "lots of data". Normally, just
using a delete statement will be fine up until about 100 million rows or
so (on decent hardware).

--Sam

Re: Archeiving and Purging

От
adityagis
Дата:
HI David/John,
  Thanks for the support.
But as of now I have not done any configuaration for the archieving process.
I hope once my configuarations are done then may be I can proceed with your
suggestions.

I am still looking for the intial process that need to be performed for
archeiving.

Thanks
Aditya Kumar

Re: Archeiving and Purging

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 03/18/2015 11:38 PM, adityagis wrote:
> HI David/John,
>    Thanks for the support.
> But as of now I have not done any configuaration for the archieving process.
> I hope once my configuarations are done then may be I can proceed with your
> suggestions.
>
> I am still looking for the intial process that need to be performed for
> archeiving.

There is no built in archiving process in Postgres. Archiving, if
desired,  is left up to the user as there is no 'one way'.