Обсуждение: What is the alternate of FILTER below Postgresql 9.4 ?

What is the alternate of FILTER below Postgresql 9.4 ?

От
Arup Rakshit
Дата:
Hi,

Please look at my query :

[shreyas@rails_app_test (master)]$ rails db
psql (9.4.1)
Type "help" for help.

app_development=# select id, location, name from people;
 id | location | name
----+----------+------
  2 | X        | foo
  3 | X        | foo
  4 | Y        | foo
(3 rows)

app_development=# SELECT COUNT(id) FILTER(WHERE lower(location) != 'x') AS Non_X_loc, COUNT(id) FILTER (WHERE
lower(location)= 'x') AS X_loc FROM "people";
 non_x_loc | x_loc
-----------+-------
         1 |     2
(1 row)

This *FILTER* method is available from 9.4, How can I get the same output below 9.4 version ?

--
================
Regards,

--Brian Kernighan

Re: What is the alternate of FILTER below Postgresql 9.4 ?

От
Pavel Stehule
Дата:
Hi

Please look at my query :

[shreyas@rails_app_test (master)]$ rails db
psql (9.4.1)
Type "help" for help.

app_development=# select id, location, name from people;
 id | location | name
----+----------+------
  2 | X        | foo
  3 | X        | foo
  4 | Y        | foo
(3 rows)

app_development=# SELECT COUNT(id) FILTER(WHERE lower(location) != 'x') AS Non_X_loc, COUNT(id) FILTER (WHERE lower(location) = 'x') AS X_loc FROM "people";
 non_x_loc | x_loc
-----------+-------
         1 |     2
(1 row)

This *FILTER* method is available from 9.4, How can I get the same output below 9.4 version ?

use SQL CASE

SELECT COUNT(CASE lower(location) <> 'x' THEN 1 END), ...

attention: "lower" function is slow - so don't use it if it is not necessary

Regards

Pavel Stehule

--
================
Regards,

Re: What is the alternate of FILTER below Postgresql 9.4 ?

От
Andreas Kretschmer
Дата:
Arup Rakshit <aruprakshit@rocketmail.com> wrote:

> This *FILTER* method is available from 9.4, How can I get the same output below 9.4 version ?

case when ...

see:
http://www.cybertec.at/postgresql-9-4-aggregation-filters-they-do-pay-off/

Andreas

Re: What is the alternate of FILTER below Postgresql 9.4 ?

От
Arup Rakshit
Дата:
On Tuesday, February 24, 2015 06:13:21 PM Pavel Stehule wrote:
> Hi

> > Hi,
> >
> > Please look at my query :
> >
> > [shreyas@rails_app_test (master)]$ rails db
> > psql (9.4.1)
> > Type "help" for help.
> >
> > app_development=# select id, location, name from people;
> >  id | location | name
> > ----+----------+------
> >   2 | X        | foo
> >   3 | X        | foo
> >   4 | Y        | foo
> > (3 rows)
> >
> > app_development=# SELECT COUNT(id) FILTER(WHERE lower(location) != 'x') AS
> > Non_X_loc, COUNT(id) FILTER (WHERE lower(location) = 'x') AS X_loc FROM
> > "people";
> >  non_x_loc | x_loc
> > -----------+-------
> >          1 |     2
> > (1 row)
> >
> > This *FILTER* method is available from 9.4, How can I get the same output
> > below 9.4 version ?
> >

> use SQL CASE
>
> SELECT COUNT(CASE lower(location) <> 'x' THEN 1 END), ...
>
> attention: "lower" function is slow - so don't use it if it is not necessary
>
> Regards
>
> Pavel Stehule

Pavel,

I tried, but it is not giving the output exactly like *FILTER*.

app_development=# select CASE WHEN lower(location) = 'x' THEN COUNT(id) ELSE 0 END AS X_loc, CASE WHEN lower(location)
!='x' THEN COUNT(id) ELSE 0 END AS Non_X_loc from people group by lower(location);
 x_loc | non_x_loc
-------+-----------
     0 |         1
     2 |         0
(2 rows)
app_development=# select count(CASE WHEN lower(location) = 'x' THEN 1 END) AS X_loc, count(CASE WHEN lower(location) !=
'x'THEN 1 END) AS Non_X_loc from people group by lower(location);
 x_loc | non_x_loc
-------+-----------
     0 |         1
     2 |         0
(2 rows)

It is 2 rows output.

--
================
Regards,
Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as
possible,you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.

--Brian Kernighan

Re: What is the alternate of FILTER below Postgresql 9.4?

От
Arup Rakshit
Дата:
On Tuesday, February 24, 2015 06:14:53 PM Andreas Kretschmer wrote:
> Arup Rakshit <aruprakshit@rocketmail.com> wrote:
>
> > This *FILTER* method is available from 9.4, How can I get the same output below 9.4 version ?
>

> case when ...
>
> see:
> http://www.cybertec.at/postgresql-9-4-aggregation-filters-they-do-pay-off/
>
> Andreas

Humm.. That's correct. I used the same with group by, that's why got 2 rows output.

Anway thanks for your help! :-)

--
================
Regards,
Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as
possible,you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.

--Brian Kernighan

Re: What is the alternate of FILTER below Postgresql 9.4?

От
Arup Rakshit
Дата:
On Tuesday, February 24, 2015 06:14:53 PM Andreas Kretschmer wrote:
> Arup Rakshit <aruprakshit@rocketmail.com> wrote:
>
> > This *FILTER* method is available from 9.4, How can I get the same output below 9.4 version ?
>

> case when ...
>
> see:
> http://www.cybertec.at/postgresql-9-4-aggregation-filters-they-do-pay-off/
>
> Andreas

Humm. It is the one I wanted. But I used it, with group by, which is why I got 2 rows output.

Thanks!!

--
================
Regards,
Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as
possible,you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.

--Brian Kernighan

Re: What is the alternate of FILTER below Postgresql 9.4 ?

От
Roxanne Reid-Bennett
Дата:
On 2/24/2015 11:29 AM, Arup Rakshit wrote:
> On Tuesday, February 24, 2015 06:13:21 PM Pavel Stehule wrote:
>> Hi

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Please look at my query :
>>>
>>> [shreyas@rails_app_test (master)]$ rails db
>>> psql (9.4.1)
>>> Type "help" for help.
>>>
>>> app_development=# select id, location, name from people;
>>>   id | location | name
>>> ----+----------+------
>>>    2 | X        | foo
>>>    3 | X        | foo
>>>    4 | Y        | foo
>>> (3 rows)
>>>
>>> app_development=# SELECT COUNT(id) FILTER(WHERE lower(location) != 'x') AS
>>> Non_X_loc, COUNT(id) FILTER (WHERE lower(location) = 'x') AS X_loc FROM
>>> "people";
>>>   non_x_loc | x_loc
>>> -----------+-------
>>>           1 |     2
>>> (1 row)
>>>
>>> This *FILTER* method is available from 9.4, How can I get the same output
>>> below 9.4 version ?
>>>

>> use SQL CASE
>>
>> SELECT COUNT(CASE lower(location) <> 'x' THEN 1 END), ...
>>
>> attention: "lower" function is slow - so don't use it if it is not necessary
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Pavel Stehule
> Pavel,
>
> I tried, but it is not giving the output exactly like *FILTER*.
>
> app_development=# select CASE WHEN lower(location) = 'x' THEN COUNT(id) ELSE 0 END AS X_loc, CASE WHEN
lower(location)!= 'x' THEN COUNT(id) ELSE 0 END AS Non_X_loc from people group by lower(location);
>   x_loc | non_x_loc
> -------+-----------
>       0 |         1
>       2 |         0
> (2 rows)
> app_development=# select count(CASE WHEN lower(location) = 'x' THEN 1 END) AS X_loc, count(CASE WHEN lower(location)
!='x' THEN 1 END) AS Non_X_loc from people group by lower(location);
>   x_loc | non_x_loc
> -------+-----------
>       0 |         1
>       2 |         0
> (2 rows)
>
> It is 2 rows output.

then don't include the group by (which forces 1 row per location)

select sum(case WHEN lower(location) = 'x' THEN 1 else 0 end) AS x_loc,
sum(case WHEN lower(location) != 'x' THEN 1 else 0 end) AS not_x_loc
from people;

Roxanne

--
[At other schools] I think the most common fault in general is to teach students how to pass exams instead of teaching
themthe science.

Re: What is the alternate of FILTER below Postgresql 9.4 ?

От
Ken Tanzer

[...]

Also, if performance is not a big concenr, you can define a little function, which I find makes the queries easier to read:

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION or_null( boolean ) RETURNS boolean AS $$

     SELECT CASE WHEN $1 THEN TRUE ELSE NULL END;

$$ LANGUAGE sql IMMUTABLE;

select count(or_null(lower(location) = 'x')) AS x_loc, count(or_null(lower(location) != 'x'))) AS not_x_loc
from people;

Cheers,
Ken

--