Обсуждение: Emulating flexible regex replace

Emulating flexible regex replace

От
twoflower
Дата:
Hello,

my scenario is this: I have a *SEGMENT* table with two text fields, *source*
and *target*. From the user, I get the following input:

/source pattern/
/target pattern/

Where both patterns are regexes and moreover the target pattern contains
references to the source in the following way:

Supposing *source* matches the /source pattern/, the $/n/ expressions inside
the /target pattern/ correspond to the captured groups inside *source*.

Example:

Source: 123 source text
Target: 123 target text
Source pattern: ([0-9]+) source text
Target pattern: $1 target text

This yields a successful match since $1 in the /target pattern/ is replaced
by "123" from the first captured group in *source* and the resulting string,
"123 target text", matches the /target pattern/.

I would like to execute a query which for a given /source pattern/ and
/target pattern/ returns all rows from the *SEGMENT* table where *source*
matches the /source pattern/ and *target* matches the /target pattern/ after
it has its references replaced with the actual captured groups.

I believe this is not possible since *regexp_replace* expects a string as
its /replacement/ argument which is not enough in this case. This kind of
stuff is easy in e.g. C# where for regex replace you can provide a function
which receives the (in this case) reference index as its argument and you
can build the replacement string using external knowledge.

However, as I am no pro in Postgres, I may be missing something and
therefore I ask: is it possible to somehow mimic the behavior of
hypothetical *regexp_replace* which would accept a function of the
to-be-replaced value and would return the replacement string based on that.

And as I am thinking about it, even that would not suffice since that
function would need to access not only the to-be-replaced value but also the
corresponding source pattern match.

Still, isn't there some super clever way to do that?

Re: Emulating flexible regex replace

Дата:
twoflower <standa.kurik@gmail.com> writes:
> Supposing *source* matches the /source pattern/, the $/n/ expressions inside
> the /target pattern/ correspond to the captured groups inside *source*.

> Example:

> Source: 123 source text
> Target: 123 target text
> Source pattern: ([0-9]+) source text
> Target pattern: $1 target text

> This yields a successful match since $1 in the /target pattern/ is replaced
> by "123" from the first captured group in *source* and the resulting string,
> "123 target text", matches the /target pattern/.

> I would like to execute a query which for a given /source pattern/ and
> /target pattern/ returns all rows from the *SEGMENT* table where *source*
> matches the /source pattern/ and *target* matches the /target pattern/ after
> it has its references replaced with the actual captured groups.

> I believe this is not possible since *regexp_replace* expects a string as
> its /replacement/ argument which is not enough in this case.

Well, you could pull out the source text captures with regexp_matches,
escape them somehow (don't think there's a built-in function for that),
insert them into the target pattern with regexp_replace, and then apply
the target pattern with a simple regexp match operator.  Kinda tedious,
but hardly "not possible".

A lot of people feel that this sort of text-mashing requirement is best
handled in plperl, but if you don't want to use that for some reason,
it's surely possible in plpgsql.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Emulating flexible regex replace

От