Обсуждение: How to restore backup database

How to restore backup database

От
klo uo
Дата:
Hi,

I use PostrgrSQL 9.3 for couple of months now, on Windows.
I installed new Window OS, and before installing, I made tar backups of my PostgreSQL databases.
Now I want to restore these on my new OS, but I can't find such option in pgAdmin.

In documentation (http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/static/backup.html) I see only suggestions how to restore sql dumps with command line tools, but none how to restore single file tar backups.

Please suggest the right way to restore my backup databases.

Thanks

Re: How to restore backup database

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 09/08/2014 09:04 AM, klo uo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I use PostrgrSQL 9.3 for couple of months now, on Windows.
> I installed new Window OS, and before installing, I made tar backups of
> my PostgreSQL databases.

What was the command you used?

> Now I want to restore these on my new OS, but I can't find such option
> in pgAdmin.
>

> In documentation (http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/static/backup.html)
> I see only suggestions how to restore sql dumps with command line tools,
> but none how to restore single file tar backups.
>
> Please suggest the right way to restore my backup databases.

Well that depends on the answer to the previous question.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: How to restore backup database

От
klo uo
Дата:
Hi Adrian,

I used pgAdmin backup command.
However in the meantime I figured how to restore.
I first have to create database, and then use restore option which becomes available if I right-click on a database.
On MSSQL for example, I can restore database without creating database first, and I guess I was expecting similar behavior.

Cheers

[...]

Дата:
On 09/08/2014 10:49 AM, klo uo wrote:
> Hi Adrian,
>
> I used pgAdmin backup command.
> However in the meantime I figured how to restore.
> I first have to create database, and then use restore option which
> becomes available if I right-click on a database.
> On MSSQL for example, I can restore database without creating database
> first, and I guess I was expecting similar behavior.

You do not have to create a database in Postgres either. There are some
system databases already created for you, template0(read only best left
alone), template1 and postgres. You can connect to one of these(best
practices, use postgres) and then have the restore script create the new
database.<IMPORTANT> If you do this you need to check the Include CREATE
DATABASE statement box (http://www.pgadmin.org/docs/1.18/restore.html)
<IMPORTANT>

To get a better idea of what is going on I would suggest reading the
following sections of the docs:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/interactive/app-pgdump.html

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/interactive/app-pgrestore.html

This is what pgAdmin is using behind the scenes.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: How to restore backup database

От
klo uo
Дата:
You do not have to create a database in Postgres either. There are some system databases already created for you, template0(read only best left alone), template1 and postgres. You can connect to one of these(best practices, use postgres) and then have the restore script create the new database.<IMPORTANT> If you do this you need to check the Include CREATE DATABASE statement box (http://www.pgadmin.org/docs/1.18/restore.html) <IMPORTANT>

To get a better idea of what is going on I would suggest reading the following sections of the docs:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/interactive/app-pgdump.html

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/interactive/app-pgrestore.html

This is what pgAdmin is using behind the scenes.

Nice.
Thanks for the tip and suggestions.

Cheers