Обсуждение: || operator

|| operator

От
Vinayak
Дата:
Hello,

The behavior of || operator is different in Oracle and PostgreSQL when the
arguments are CHAR(n) data type.
Example:
create table hoge1(col1 char(10), col2 char(10));
insert into hoge1 values('abc', 'def');
select col1 || col2 from hoge1;
abcdef  (PostgreSQL's result)
abc       def           (Oracle's result)
I think the behavior of CHAR data type is different in Oracle and
PostgreSQL.
CHAR type of Oracle is in the byte unit whereas the CHAR type of PostgreSQL
is in character unit.
Oracle : CHAR(3) => 3 byte
PostgreSQL : CHAR(3) => 3 characters
When CHAR values are stored in Oracle, they are right-padded with spaces to
the specified length.
If we use concat() then the result is same as Oracle || operator so I think
PostgreSQL also store the CHAR value like Oracle but || operator gives the
different result.
Example:
postgres=# select concat(col1,col2) from hoge1;
        concat
----------------------
 abc       def
(1 rows)

postgres=# select col1 || col2 from hoge1;
 ?column?
----------
 abcdef
(1 rows)

Any idea how to get result same as oracle if CHAR(n) data type is used?

-----
Regards,
Vinayak,

Re: || operator

От
Pavel Stehule
Дата:
Hi

you can define || operator for char(N) type

postgres=# select oprname, oprleft::regtype, oprright::regtype from pg_operator where oprname = '||'
;
 oprname |   oprleft   |  oprright
---------+-------------+-------------
 ||      | bytea       | bytea
 ||      | text        | text
 ||      | text        | anynonarray
 ||      | bit varying | bit varying
 ||      | anyarray    | anyarray
 ||      | anyarray    | anyelement
 ||      | anyelement  | anyarray
 ||      | anynonarray | text
 ||      | tsvector    | tsvector
 ||      | tsquery     | tsquery
(10 rows)

it is defined only for text, and value char(n) is reduced when it is converted probably

postgres=# create or replace function concat_character(character, character) returns text as $$ select concat($1,$1)$$ language sql;
CREATE FUNCTION

postgres=# create operator || (procedure = concat_character, leftarg = character, rightarg = character);
CREATE OPERATOR
postgres=# select 'abc   '::char(7) || 'dbe   '::char(6);
    ?column?
----------------
 abc    abc
(1 row)

concat is variadic "any" function, so implicit casting character(n) -> text is not used there

Pavel

[...]

Szymon Guz

you can define || operator for char(N) type

postgres=# select oprname, oprleft::regtype, oprright::regtype from pg_operator where oprname = '||'
;
 oprname |   oprleft   |  oprright
---------+-------------+-------------
 ||      | bytea       | bytea
 ||      | text        | text
 ||      | text        | anynonarray
 ||      | bit varying | bit varying
 ||      | anyarray    | anyarray
 ||      | anyarray    | anyelement
 ||      | anyelement  | anyarray
 ||      | anynonarray | text
 ||      | tsvector    | tsvector
 ||      | tsquery     | tsquery
(10 rows)

it is defined only for text, and value char(n) is reduced when it is converted probably

postgres=# create or replace function concat_character(character, character) returns text as $$ select concat($1,$1)$$ language sql;
CREATE FUNCTION

postgres=# create operator || (procedure = concat_character, leftarg = character, rightarg = character);
CREATE OPERATOR
postgres=# select 'abc   '::char(7) || 'dbe   '::char(6);
    ?column?
----------------
 abc    abc
(1 row)

concat is variadic "any" function, so implicit casting character(n) -> text is not used there

Pavel

Hi Pavel,
I think we should have this in core, as this definitely is a bug.

Szymon

Re: || operator

От
Pavel Stehule

you can define || operator for char(N) type

postgres=# select oprname, oprleft::regtype, oprright::regtype from pg_operator where oprname = '||'
;
 oprname |   oprleft   |  oprright
---------+-------------+-------------
 ||      | bytea       | bytea
 ||      | text        | text
 ||      | text        | anynonarray
 ||      | bit varying | bit varying
 ||      | anyarray    | anyarray
 ||      | anyarray    | anyelement
 ||      | anyelement  | anyarray
 ||      | anynonarray | text
 ||      | tsvector    | tsvector
 ||      | tsquery     | tsquery
(10 rows)

it is defined only for text, and value char(n) is reduced when it is converted probably

postgres=# create or replace function concat_character(character, character) returns text as $$ select concat($1,$1)$$ language sql;
CREATE FUNCTION

postgres=# create operator || (procedure = concat_character, leftarg = character, rightarg = character);
CREATE OPERATOR
postgres=# select 'abc   '::char(7) || 'dbe   '::char(6);
    ?column?
----------------
 abc    abc
(1 row)

concat is variadic "any" function, so implicit casting character(n) -> text is not used there

Pavel

Hi Pavel,
I think we should have this in core, as this definitely is a bug.

hard to say - anything about CHAR(N) is strange, and this change can break existing applications :(

I remember one previous CHAR(N) issue, and probably it was not fixed too.

I have not any opinion, just I don't know

Pavel

Szymon

Re: || operator

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 09/03/2014 06:25 AM, Szymon Guz wrote:

> Hi Pavel,
> I think we should have this in core, as this definitely is a bug.

It is documented behavior:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/interactive/datatype-character.html

"Values of type character are physically padded with spaces to the
specified width n, and are stored and displayed that way. However, the
padding spaces are treated as semantically insignificant. Trailing
spaces are disregarded when comparing two values of type character, and
they will be removed when converting a character value to one of the
other string types. Note that trailing spaces are semantically
significant in character varying and text values, and when using pattern
matching, e.g. LIKE, regular expressions."

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: || operator

От
Kevin Grittner
Дата:
Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:

>> I think we should have this in core, as this definitely is a bug.
>
> hard to say - anything about CHAR(N) is strange,

On a quick scan of the standard, it looks like our current behavior
is non-conforming.

> and this change can break existing applications :(

That is true, but since the only point of supporting CHAR(n) is to
satisfy requirements of the standard, it might be something we
should do, if technically feasible.

--
Kevin Grittner
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: || operator

От
Pavel Stehule

Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:

>> I think we should have this in core, as this definitely is a bug.
>
> hard to say - anything about CHAR(N) is strange,

On a quick scan of the standard, it looks like our current behavior
is non-conforming.

> and this change can break existing applications :(

That is true, but since the only point of supporting CHAR(n) is to
satisfy requirements of the standard, it might be something we
should do, if technically feasible.

It is true, but nobody reported bug yet, so who know, how this feature is used.

Probably it needs a deeper analyze of difference between Pg CHAR(n) and standard CHAR(n)

Pavel

--
Kevin Grittner
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: || operator

От
Vinayak
Дата:
Hello Pavel,

Thank you for reply.
>postgres=# select 'abc   '::char(7) || 'dbe   '::char(6);
>    ?column?
>----------------
> *abc    abc*
>(1 row)
but it gives the result "abc    abc". It should be "abc    dbe".

-----
Regards,
Vinayak,

Re: || operator

От
Pavel Stehule

Hello Pavel,

Thank you for reply.
>postgres=# select 'abc   '::char(7) || 'dbe   '::char(6);
>    ?column?
>----------------
> *abc    abc*
>(1 row)
but it gives the result "abc    abc". It should be "abc    dbe".

yes

  create or replace function concat_character(character, character) returns text as $$ select concat($1,$1)$$ language sql;

is wrong

should be

create or replace function concat_character(character, character) returns text as $$ select concat($1,$2)$$ language sql;

-----
Regards,
Vinayak,

Re: || operator

От
Vinayak
Дата:
Yes function should be
create or replace function concat_character(character, character) returns
text as $$ select concat($1,$2)$$ language sql;
Now its working.

Thank you.

-----
Regards,
Vinayak,

Re: || operator

От
Vinayak
Дата:
Hi,

The || operator with arguments (character,character) works fine and even ||
operator(character,varchar) also works fine.
but || operator is not working as expected with arguments character data
type and any other data type like integer,smallint,date,text.
Example:
postgres=# select 'ab'::char(10) || 4::int;
 ?column?
----------
 ab4
(1 row)
postgres=# select 'ab'::char(10) || 'a'::text;
  ?column?
-------------
 aba
(1 row)

so I have created || operator with argument character and anyelement.
Example:
create or replace function concat_character(character, anyelement) returns
text as $$ select concat($1,$2)$$ language sql;
create operator || (procedure = concat_character, leftarg = character,
rightarg = anyelement);
it works fine with argument of type int,smallint,bigint,date etc.
but its not working with text and varchar data type.
Example:
postgres=# select 'ab'::char(10) || 4::int;
  ?column?
-------------
 ab        4
(1 row)

postgres=# select 'ab'::char(10) || 'b'::text;
 ?column?
----------
 abb
(1 row)

postgres=# select 'ab'::char(10) || 'b'::varchar(5);
ERROR:  operator is not unique: character || character varying
LINE 1: select 'ab'::char(10) || 'b'::varchar(5);
                              ^
HINT:  Could not choose a best candidate operator. You might need to add
explicit type casts.
Thought?

-----
Regards,
Vinayak,

Re: || operator

От
Pavel Stehule

[...]

text is more general -- it it does cast to text - there is not || operator for leftarg character and righarg text

postgres=# select 'ab'::char(10) || 'b'::varchar(5);
ERROR:  operator is not unique: character || character varying
LINE 1: select 'ab'::char(10) || 'b'::varchar(5);
                              ^
HINT:  Could not choose a best candidate operator. You might need to add
explicit type casts.
Thought?

Not too much - it is limit of Postgres type system :(

Pavel

-----
Regards,
Vinayak,

Re: || operator

От
Brett Mc Bride
Дата:
On Wed, 2014-09-03 at 21:27 -0700, Vinayak wrote:
> Hello Pavel,
>
> Thank you for reply.
> >postgres=# select 'abc   '::char(7) || 'dbe   '::char(6);
> >    ?column?
> > *abc    abc*
> >(1 row)
> but it gives the result "abc    abc". It should be "abc    dbe".

I believe there was a typo in the function, try this one
: