Обсуждение: Heartbleed Impact

Heartbleed Impact

От
Dev Kumkar
Дата:
We are using postgresql binaries downloaded from here
http://www.enterprisedb.com/products-services-training/pgbindownload

The binaries which are currently at 9.3.3 were updated when the security vulnerabilities were announced in Feb 2014.

We embed certain binaries and libssl.so.1.0.0 gets shipped along with pre-build in-house database with product.

Referred this link http://blog.hagander.net/archives/219-PostgreSQL-and-the-OpenSSL-Heartbleed-vulnerability.html and for our database SSL is off:
        SSL connection are in OFF.
        postgres=# show ssl;
         ssl
        -----
         off
There is a note for the graphical installers but not the same for binaries:
NOTE: April 10, 2014: The installers for PostgreSQL 9.3.4-3, 9.2.8-3, 9.1.13-3, 9.0.17-3 and 8.4.21-3 have recently been updated to include a patch to address CVE-2014-0160, a TLS heartbeat read overrun issue in the OpenSSL library that is packaged in the installer.

Can you please let us know about the impact in case binaries are being shipped and SSL is off?

Regards...

Re: Heartbleed Impact

От
Albe Laurenz
Дата:
Dev Kumkar wrote:
> Can you please let us know about the impact in case binaries are being shipped and SSL is off?

Unless somebody changes the setting to ssl=on, there should be no problem.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Re: Heartbleed Impact

От
Tony Theodore
Дата:
On 16 April 2014 18:48, Dev Kumkar <devdas.kumkar@gmail.com> wrote:

> We embed certain binaries and libssl.so.1.0.0 gets shipped along with
> pre-build in-house database with product.

1.0.0 isn't affected.

Cheers,

Tony

Re: Heartbleed Impact

От
Boszormenyi Zoltan
Дата:
> On 16 April 2014 18:48, Dev Kumkar <devdas.kumkar@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> We embed certain binaries and libssl.so.1.0.0 gets shipped along with
>> pre-build in-house database with product.
> 1.0.0 isn't affected.

The package version and the soversion are only loosely related.
E.g .the upstream OpenSSL 1.0.0 and 1.0.1 series both ship soversion 1.0.0.

Best regards,
Zoltán Böszörményi

Re: Heartbleed Impact

От
Tony Theodore
Дата:
On 16 April 2014 21:27, Boszormenyi Zoltan <zboszor@pr.hu> wrote:

>> 1.0.0 isn't affected.
>

> The package version and the soversion are only loosely related.
> E.g .the upstream OpenSSL 1.0.0 and 1.0.1 series both ship soversion 1.0.0.

Good point - thanks!

Tony

Re: Heartbleed Impact

От
Dev Kumkar
Дата:
The package version and the soversion are only loosely related.
E.g .the upstream OpenSSL 1.0.0 and 1.0.1 series both ship soversion 1.0.0.

Best regards,
Zoltán Böszörményi

Regards...

Re: Heartbleed Impact

От
Dev Kumkar
Дата:
Unless somebody changes the setting to ssl=on, there should be no problem.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Thanks also please help to understand - does changing this postgresql.conf setting enough to be vulnerable here?

Regards...

Re: Heartbleed Impact

От
Dev Kumkar
Дата:
The package version and the soversion are only loosely related.
E.g .the upstream OpenSSL 1.0.0 and 1.0.1 series both ship soversion 1.0.0.

Best regards,
Zoltán Böszörményi

Ok, looked at the STRINGS versions and the "OpenSSL 1.0.1f 6 Jan 2014" is seen.

Please let me know if the new binary is uploaded at PG binary download link.

Regards...

Re: Heartbleed Impact

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Dev Kumkar wrote:

> > of which OpenSSL package versions' libssl.1.0.0.so is available at
> > http://www.enterprisedb.com/products-services-training/pgbindownload ?
> >

> Ok, looked at the STRINGS versions and the "OpenSSL 1.0.1f 6 Jan 2014" is
> seen.
>
> Please let me know if the new binary is uploaded at PG binary download link.

This is an EnterpriseDB-supplied package.  You should talk to them
directly.

Re: Heartbleed Impact

От
Albe Laurenz
Дата:
Dev Kumkar wrote:
>> Unless somebody changes the setting to ssl=on, there should be no problem.

> Thanks also please help to understand - does changing this postgresql.conf setting enough to be
> vulnerable here?

Just changing the setting will only cause your database server to error
out on restart - you also need to create certificates and put them into
the server directory.

So whoever does this change must know what they are doing (to some extent).

Once SSL has been enabled, a cunning attacker may be able to steal
the server's private key (if I understood the vulnerability correctly)
and then launch man-in-the-middle attacks, i.e. impersonate the server,
to eavesdrop on encrypted communication.

The remedy would be to create a new key pair for the server.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Re: Heartbleed Impact

От
Stephen Frost
Дата:
* Alvaro Herrera (alvherre@2ndquadrant.com) wrote:
> Dev Kumkar wrote:
> > > of which OpenSSL package versions' libssl.1.0.0.so is available at
> > > http://www.enterprisedb.com/products-services-training/pgbindownload ?
> > >

> > Ok, looked at the STRINGS versions and the "OpenSSL 1.0.1f 6 Jan 2014" is
> > seen.
> >
> > Please let me know if the new binary is uploaded at PG binary download link.
>
> This is an EnterpriseDB-supplied package.  You should talk to them
> directly.

Yeah, I'm doing that already and they're looking into it right now.

    Thanks,

        Stephen

Вложения

Re: Heartbleed Impact