Обсуждение: Correct query to check streaming replication lag

Correct query to check streaming replication lag

От
Granthana Biswas
Дата:
Hello All,

Can anyone please tell me which of the following is the correct replication lag query to find streaming replication lag in seconds?

1. SELECT extract(seconds from (now() - pg_last_xact_replay_timestamp())) AS time_lag;

2. SELECT CASE WHEN pg_last_xlog_receive_location() = pg_last_xlog_replay_location() THEN 0 ELSE EXTRACT (EPOCH FROM now() - pg_last_xact_replay_timestamp()) END AS log_delay;

Regards,
Granthana

Re: Correct query to check streaming replication lag

От
Sameer Kumar

Can anyone please tell me which of the following is the correct replication lag query to find streaming replication lag in seconds?

IMHO none is 'correct'. :-)

1. SELECT extract(seconds from (now() - pg_last_xact_replay_timestamp())) AS time_lag;

This is the difference between now and last replayed log. What if the last transaction on master has happened a few minutes ago?

2. SELECT CASE WHEN pg_last_xlog_receive_location() = pg_last_xlog_replay_location() THEN 0 ELSE EXTRACT (EPOCH FROM now() - pg_last_xact_replay_timestamp()) END AS log_delay;

For reason same as above, this won't be exact but the most accurate you can get.

Best Regards,
Sameer Kumar | Database Consultant
ASHNIK PTE. LTD.
101 Cecil Street, #11-11 Tong Eng Building, Singapore 069533
M : +65 8110 0350 T: +65 6438 3504 | www.ashnik.com
www.facebook.com/ashnikbiz | www.twitter.com/ashnikbiz

email patch

This email may contain confidential, privileged or copyright material and is solely for the use of the intended recipient(s).

Вложения

Re: Correct query to check streaming replication lag

От
Sameer Kumar

Thank you Sameer for your reply. Is there any other query that would help get exact replication lag?

You 2nd Query is the most accurate you can get.

2. SELECT CASE WHEN pg_last_xlog_receive_location() = pg_last_xlog_replay_location() THEN 0 ELSE EXTRACT (EPOCH FROM now() - pg_last_xact_replay_timestamp()) END AS log_delay;
For reason same as above, this won't be exact but the most accurate you can get.
You can get lags in terms of bytes (and I have always believed that makes more sense).

May I ask, why are you looking for this info? Is it purely monitoring?

Regards
Sameer
Ashnik Pte Ltd.

[...]

Дата:
Yes it's purely for monitoring purpose.

Regards,
Granthana

Thank you Sameer for your reply. Is there any other query that would help get exact replication lag?

You 2nd Query is the most accurate you can get.

2. SELECT CASE WHEN pg_last_xlog_receive_location() = pg_last_xlog_replay_location() THEN 0 ELSE EXTRACT (EPOCH FROM now() - pg_last_xact_replay_timestamp()) END AS log_delay;
For reason same as above, this won't be exact but the most accurate you can get.
You can get lags in terms of bytes (and I have always believed that makes more sense).

May I ask, why are you looking for this info? Is it purely monitoring?

Regards
Sameer
Ashnik Pte Ltd.

Re: Correct query to check streaming replication lag

От
Ray Stell