Обсуждение: Foreign keys

Foreign keys

От
"Dean Gibson (DB Administrator)"
Дата:
I have general question about FOREIGN KEYs:

  1. Suppose I have table A with primary key X, and another table B with field Y.
  2. When I 'ALTER TABLE "B"  ADD FOREIGN KEY( "Y" )  REFERENCES "A"  ON UPDATE CASCADE  ON DELETE CASCADE', that clearly spends some time building a separate index.  Since there is already a unique index on X, presumably (?) the index being built is on Y.
  3. However, the PostgreSQL documentation seems to indicate that it's a good idea to also separately create an index on Y.
  4. Why, and why is the FOREIGN KEY index different from the ones on X and Y in any way but trivial?
  5. If I need the separate index on Y, should it be built before or after the FOREIGN KEY constraint?

All other mail to my list address will bounce.

Re: Foreign keys

От
Rob Sargent
Дата:
I have general question about FOREIGN KEYs:

  1. Suppose I have table A with primary key X, and another table B with field Y.
  2. When I 'ALTER TABLE "B"  ADD FOREIGN KEY( "Y" )  REFERENCES "A"  ON UPDATE CASCADE  ON DELETE CASCADE', that clearly spends some time building a separate index.  Since there is already a unique index on X, presumably (?) the index being built is on Y.
  3. However, the PostgreSQL documentation seems to indicate that it's a good idea to also separately create an index on Y.
  4. Why, and why is the FOREIGN KEY index different from the ones on X and Y in any way but trivial?
  5. If I need the separate index on Y, should it be built before or after the FOREIGN KEY constraint?

All other mail to my list address will bounce.
Perhaps you want http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/static/sql-altertable.html
add table_constraint_using_index

Re: Foreign keys

От
Kevin Grittner
Дата:
Dean Gibson (DB Administrator) <postgresql@ultimeth.com> wrote:

> I have general question about FOREIGN KEYs:
>
>    1. Suppose I have table A with primary key X, and another
>       table B with field Y.
>    2. When I 'ALTER TABLE "B"  ADD FOREIGN KEY( "Y" )  REFERENCES
>       "A"  ON UPDATE CASCADE  ON DELETE CASCADE', that clearly
>       spends some time building a separate index.

No it doesn't.  If you are observing activity at that time, it is
probably from validating that the constraint is initially valid.

>    3. However, the PostgreSQL documentation seems to indicate
>       that it's a good idea to also separately create an index on
>       Y.

It *often* is, but there are various reasons you might not want
such an index, which is why its creation is not automatic.

>    5. If I need the separate index on Y, should it be built
>       before or after the FOREIGN KEY constraint?

In some cases it may allow faster initial validation of the
constraint; if I wanted the index I would probably build it before
adding the constraint.

--
Kevin Grittner
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: Foreign keys

От
"Dean Gibson (DB Administrator)"
Дата:
On 2013-12-18 10:41, Kevin Grittner wrote:
> Dean Gibson (DB Administrator) <postgresql@ultimeth.com> wrote:
>
>> ... that clearly spends some time building a separate index.
> No it doesn't.  If you are observing activity at that time, it is probably from validating that the constraint is
initiallyvalid.

Ah ha!  That's what's consuming the time!  Thanks!

>>      5. If I need the separate index on Y, should it be built before or after the FOREIGN KEY constraint?
> In some cases it may allow faster initial validation of the constraint; if I wanted the index I would probably build
itbefore adding the constraint.

Again, that's what I needed to know!  Thanks again!