Обсуждение: unnest on multi-dimensional arrays

unnest on multi-dimensional arrays

От
Zev Benjamin
Дата:
It appears that unnest, when called on a multi-dimensional array,
effectively flattens the array first.  For example:

=> select * from unnest(array[array[1, 2], array[2, 3]]);
  unnest
--------
       1
       2
       2
       3
(4 rows)

while I would have expect something like the following:

=> select * from unnest(array[array[1, 2], array[2, 3]]);
  unnest
--------
    {1, 2}
    {2, 3}
(2 rows)

Is there any way to get the latter behavior?

Zev

Re: unnest on multi-dimensional arrays

От
Pavel Stehule
Дата:
Hello

postgres=# CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION public.reduce_dim(anyarray)
 RETURNS SETOF anyarray
 LANGUAGE plpgsql
AS $function$
DECLARE s $1%type;
BEGIN
  FOREACH s SLICE 1  IN ARRAY $1 LOOP
      RETURN NEXT s;
  END LOOP;
RETURN;
END;
$function$;
CREATE FUNCTION

postgres=# select reduce_dim(array[array[1, 2], array[2, 3]]);
 reduce_dim
------------
 {1,2}
 {2,3}
(2 rows)

Regards

Pavel Stehule

[...]

David Johnston
Дата:
Zev Benjamin wrote
> It appears that unnest, when called on a multi-dimensional array,
> effectively flattens the array first.  For example:
>
> => select * from unnest(array[array[1, 2], array[2, 3]]);
>   unnest
> --------
>        1
>        2
>        2
>        3
> (4 rows)
>
> while I would have expect something like the following:
>
> => select * from unnest(array[array[1, 2], array[2, 3]]);
>   unnest
> --------
>     {1, 2}
>     {2, 3}
> (2 rows)
>
> Is there any way to get the latter behavior?

Manually.  Cross-Join the array with a generate-series of the same length
and use the series number as an array index.  So row 1 gets cell 1 and so
forth.

Multidimensional arrays do have shortcomings in the current implementation
of which this is one.  I'm not sure, though, if there is anything
substantial and centralized in the docs so pertaining.  I may look later but
the cross-join+sequence idiom is generally useful and especially for
problems like this.

David J.

Re: unnest on multi-dimensional arrays

Дата:
David Johnston <polobo@yahoo.com> writes:
> Zev Benjamin wrote
>> It appears that unnest, when called on a multi-dimensional array,
>> effectively flattens the array first.  For example: ...

> Multidimensional arrays do have shortcomings in the current implementation
> of which this is one.  I'm not sure, though, if there is anything
> substantial and centralized in the docs so pertaining.

It might be worth explaining that this is a consequence of the fact that
Postgres treats all arrays over the same element type as being of the
same data type --- that is, 1-D and 2-D arrays are not distinguished
by the type system.  Thus, when the polymorphic function "unnest(anyarray)
returns setof anyelement" is applied to an integer array, it must return
a series of integers; not a series of lower-dimensional arrays.

There have been some discussions over whether this could be changed
without a backwards-compatibility disaster, but nobody sees how.

            regards, tom lane

Re: unnest on multi-dimensional arrays

От
bricklen
Дата:
postgres=# CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION public.reduce_dim(anyarray)
 RETURNS SETOF anyarray
 LANGUAGE plpgsql
AS $function$
DECLARE s $1%type;
BEGIN
  FOREACH s SLICE 1  IN ARRAY $1 LOOP
      RETURN NEXT s;
  END LOOP;
RETURN;
END;
$function$;
CREATE FUNCTION

postgres=# select reduce_dim(array[array[1, 2], array[2, 3]]);
 reduce_dim
------------
 {1,2}
 {2,3}
(2 rows)

Hi Pavel,

I hope you don't mind, I took the liberty of adding your nifty function to the Postgresql Wiki at
Feel free to edit directly or suggest any changes to it.

Cheers,

Bricklen

[...]

+1

Pavel

Cheers,

Bricklen

Re: unnest on multi-dimensional arrays

От
Glyn Astill

In pre 9.1 I use the following:

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION public.part_unnest(anyarray)
RETURNS SETOF anyarray
AS $BODY$
BEGIN
    RETURN QUERY
    SELECT (SELECT array_agg($1[i][i2])
        FROM generate_series(array_lower($1,2), array_upper($1,2)) i2)
    FROM generate_series(array_lower($1,1), array_upper($1,1)) i;
END;
$BODY$
LANGUAGE plpgsql IMMUTABLE;

Not sure if anyone has a cleaner / quicker example.

Re: unnest on multi-dimensional arrays

От
Zev Benjamin
Дата:
Thanks for the explanation and examples!

Zev

On 11/28/2013 10:03 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
> David Johnston <polobo@yahoo.com> writes:
>> Zev Benjamin wrote
>>> It appears that unnest, when called on a multi-dimensional array,
>>> effectively flattens the array first.  For example: ...
>
>> Multidimensional arrays do have shortcomings in the current implementation
>> of which this is one.  I'm not sure, though, if there is anything
>> substantial and centralized in the docs so pertaining.
>
> It might be worth explaining that this is a consequence of the fact that
> Postgres treats all arrays over the same element type as being of the
> same data type --- that is, 1-D and 2-D arrays are not distinguished
> by the type system.  Thus, when the polymorphic function "unnest(anyarray)
> returns setof anyelement" is applied to an integer array, it must return
> a series of integers; not a series of lower-dimensional arrays.
>
> There have been some discussions over whether this could be changed
> without a backwards-compatibility disaster, but nobody sees how.
>
>             regards, tom lane

Re: unnest on multi-dimensional arrays

От
Zev Benjamin
Дата:
Hrm.  Conceptually, I think you actually want something like:

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION public.reduce_dim(anyarray)
  RETURNS SETOF anyarray
  LANGUAGE plpgsql
AS $function$
DECLARE
   s $1%type;
   d int;
BEGIN
   d := array_ndims($1) - 1;
   FOREACH s SLICE d IN ARRAY $1 LOOP
       RETURN NEXT s;
   END LOOP;
RETURN;
END;
$function$;

Otherwise,
select * from reduce_dim(ARRAY[[1], [2], [3]])
and
select * from reduce_dim(ARRAY[[[1], [2], [3]]);

produce the same results.  Unfortunately, it looks like the SLICE
keyword only accepts a constant.

Zev

On 11/28/2013 02:28 AM, Pavel Stehule wrote:
> Hello
>
> postgres=# CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION public.reduce_dim(anyarray)
>   RETURNS SETOF anyarray
>   LANGUAGE plpgsql
> AS $function$
> DECLARE s $1%type;
> BEGIN
>    FOREACH s SLICE 1  IN ARRAY $1 LOOP
>        RETURN NEXT s;
>    END LOOP;
> RETURN;
> END;
> $function$;
> CREATE FUNCTION
>
> postgres=# select reduce_dim(array[array[1, 2], array[2, 3]]);
>   reduce_dim
> ------------
>   {1,2}
>   {2,3}
> (2 rows)
>
> Regards
>
> Pavel Stehule
>
> 2013/11/28 Zev Benjamin <zev-pgsql@strangersgate.com
> <mailto:zev-pgsql@strangersgate.com>>
>
>     It appears that unnest, when called on a multi-dimensional array,
>     effectively flattens the array first.  For example:
>
>     => select * from unnest(array[array[1, 2], array[2, 3]]);
>       unnest
>     --------
>            1
>            2
>            2
>            3
>     (4 rows)
>
>     while I would have expect something like the following:
>
>     => select * from unnest(array[array[1, 2], array[2, 3]]);
>       unnest
>     --------
>         {1, 2}
>         {2, 3}
>     (2 rows)
>
>     Is there any way to get the latter behavior?
>

>     Zev
>

>     --

Re: unnest on multi-dimensional arrays

От
Pavel Stehule

Hrm.  Conceptually, I think you actually want something like:

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION public.reduce_dim(anyarray)
 RETURNS SETOF anyarray
 LANGUAGE plpgsql
AS $function$
DECLARE
  s $1%type;
  d int;
BEGIN
  d := array_ndims($1) - 1;
  FOREACH s SLICE d IN ARRAY $1 LOOP

      RETURN NEXT s;
  END LOOP;
RETURN;
END;
$function$;

Otherwise,
select * from reduce_dim(ARRAY[[1], [2], [3]])
and
select * from reduce_dim(ARRAY[[[1], [2], [3]]);

produce the same results.  Unfortunately, it looks like the SLICE keyword only accepts a constant.

yes, it accept only constant - it is unpleasant, but it is necessary due plpgsql internals :(

Regards

Pavel Stěhule

Zev

[...]

Дата:
This actually looks to mostly be a parser limitation:

foreach_slice    :
                    {
                        $$ = 0;
                    }
                | K_SLICE ICONST
                    {
                        $$ = $2;
                    }
                ;

Everything after that just treats the slice number as a variable.  Is
there any underlying grammar ambiguity that prevents it from being an
expression?

Zev

On 12/02/2013 01:24 PM, Pavel Stehule wrote:

> [...]
>         <mailto:zev-pgsql@strangersgate.com>>>
>

>              It appears that unnest, when called on a multi-dimensional
>         array,
>              effectively flattens the array first.  For example:
>
>              => select * from unnest(array[array[1, 2], array[2, 3]]);
>                unnest
>              --------
>                     1
>                     2
>                     2
>                     3
>              (4 rows)
>
>              while I would have expect something like the following:
>
>              => select * from unnest(array[array[1, 2], array[2, 3]]);
>                unnest
>              --------
>                  {1, 2}
>                  {2, 3}
>              (2 rows)
>
>              Is there any way to get the latter behavior?

Дата:
Zev Benjamin <zev-pgsql@strangersgate.com> writes:
> This actually looks to mostly be a parser limitation:

Well, you'd also need some execution-time infrastructure to evaluate an
expression, if we allowed one there, but I agree it wouldn't be a
tremendously complicated patch.  We'd just not foreseen a good reason
to support an expression ...

            regards, tom lane

2013/12/2 Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>
Zev Benjamin <zev-pgsql@strangersgate.com> writes:
> This actually looks to mostly be a parser limitation:

Well, you'd also need some execution-time infrastructure to evaluate an
expression, if we allowed one there, but I agree it wouldn't be a
tremendously complicated patch.  We'd just not foreseen a good reason
to support an expression ...

I afraid so it is not too simple.

There is problem with different target type when you do reduction from array to scalar and from array to array sometimes (for different slice) - so principally slice parameter should be immutable due immutable target type. Although current solution is not enough protection against same error, so then we allow a integer expression there.

Regards

Pavel