Обсуждение: (collation) Building postgresql on FreeBSD, the pros and cons of icu

(collation) Building postgresql on FreeBSD, the pros and cons of icu

От
Patrick Dung
Дата:
Hi all,

By default, FreeBSD ports does not build postgresql with icu (http://www.icu-project.org/).

Some questions:

1) It is necessary that icu should be used on FreeBSD?
I have heard that FreeBSD's locale (glibc) has sorting problem with Postgresql UTF8 DB.
reference: http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Todo:ICU

2) After searching in google, it was said that using ICU is faster (in terms of sorting in locale).

3) Any other pros and cons?

Thanks,
Patrick

Re: (collation) Building postgresql on FreeBSD, the pros and cons of icu

Дата:
Patrick Dung <patrick_dkt@yahoo.com.hk> writes:
> By default, FreeBSD ports does not build postgresql with icu (http://www.icu-project.org/).

Postgres does not have any option to use ICU, default or otherwise.
Nor is it likely to happen in future, judging from previous discussions
of the idea.

            regards, tom lane

Re: (collation) Building postgresql on FreeBSD, the pros and cons of icu

От
Patrick Dung
Дата:
> On Wednesday, October 23, 2013 9:45 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Patrick Dung <patrick_dkt@yahoo.com.hk> writes:
>
>  By default, FreeBSD ports does not build postgresql with icu (http://www.icu-project.org/
> ).
>
> Postgres does not have any option to use ICU, default or otherwise.
> Nor is it likely to happen in future, judging from previous discussions
> of the idea.
>
>             regards, tom lane

OK, now I understand that FreeBSD case, they have a specific patch to use icu.
The default PostgreSQL does use ICU.
Thanks for pointing that out.

Thanks,
Patrick

Re: (collation) Building postgresql on FreeBSD, the pros and cons of icu

От
Achilleas Mantzios
Дата:
On 23/10/2013 16:44, Tom Lane wrote:
> Patrick Dung <patrick_dkt@yahoo.com.hk> writes:
>> By default, FreeBSD ports does not build postgresql with icu (http://www.icu-project.org/).
> Postgres does not have any option to use ICU, default or otherwise.
> Nor is it likely to happen in future, judging from previous discussions
> of the idea.

Hi Tom, Patrick
FreeBSD indeed has a config option to build with ICU, just
# /usr/ports/databases/postgresql93-server
# make config
and you will be able to see this.
The relevant README is here : http://people.freebsd.org/~girgen/postgresql-icu/README.html
Patrick also you may build postgresql by hand and apply the patch manually from :
/usr/ports/databases/postgresql93-server
Although being in a non-english speaking company, i have not tried this neither at work or at home.
Hope that helps.

--
Achilleas Mantzios

On Wednesday, October 23, 2013 10:00 PM, Patrick Dung <patrick_dkt@yahoo.com.hk> wrote:
> On Wednesday, October 23, 2013 9:45 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Patrick Dung <patrick_dkt@yahoo.com.hk> writes:
>
>  By default, FreeBSD ports does not build postgresql with icu (http://www.icu-project.org/
> ).
>
> Postgres does not have any option to use ICU, default or otherwise.
> Nor is it likely to happen in future, judging from previous discussions
> of the idea.
>
>             regards, tom lane

OK, now I understand that FreeBSD case, they have a specific patch to use icu.
The default PostgreSQL does use ICU.
Thanks for pointing that out.

Thanks,

Patrick

Re: (collation) Building postgresql on FreeBSD, the pros and cons of icu

От
Patrick Dung

>On Friday, October 25, 2013 3:12 PM, Achilleas Mantzios <achill@matrix.gatewaynet.com> wrote:
>On 23/10/2013 16:44, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Patrick Dung <patrick_dkt@yahoo.com.hk> writes:
>>> By default, FreeBSD ports does not build postgresql with icu (http://www.icu-project.org/).
>> Postgres does not have any option to use ICU, default or otherwise.
>> Nor is it likely to happen in future, judging from previous discussions
>> of the idea.
>
>Hi Tom, Patrick
>FreeBSD indeed has a config option to build with ICU, just
># /usr/ports/databases/postgresql93-server
># make config
>and you will be able to see this.
>The relevant README is here : http://people.freebsd.org/~girgen/postgresql-icu/README.html
>Patrick also you may build postgresql by hand and apply the patch manually from : /usr/ports/databases/postgresql93-server
>Although being in a non-english speaking company, i have not tried this neither at work or at home.
>Hope that helps.

Hi Achilleas,

Sorry I have hit to send button too fast in the last mail...

Yes, I know FreeBSD has a specific patch to use ICU on Postgresql.
And officially Postgresql, do not come with ICU patch natively.

Thanks.
Patrick