Обсуждение: Large objects system

Large objects system

От
"Rafael B.C."

Hello,

I am dealing with the old decision about hiw to store data objects and trying to understand deep the postgre system including toast, pg-largedataobject table and so on.

My real doubt right now is why bytea does not gets processed by toast system even when is grow enough. Since ive read that tuples are not allowed to expand over several dtabase pages.

Maybe someone has the explanaition for this behavior?

Thank you very much

Re: Large objects system

От
Albe Laurenz
Дата:
Rafael B.C. wrote:
> I am dealing with the old decision about hiw to store data objects and trying to understand deep the
> postgre system including toast, pg-largedataobject table and so on.
>
> My real doubt right now is why bytea does not gets processed by toast system even when is grow enough.
> Since ive read that tuples are not allowed to expand over several dtabase pages.
>
> Maybe someone has the explanaition for this behavior?

What makes you think that bytea won't get TOASTed?
It sure should.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Re: Large objects system

От
John R Pierce
Дата:
On 10/3/2013 2:22 AM, Rafael B.C. wrote:
> My real doubt right now is why bytea does not gets processed by toast
> system even when is grow enough. Since ive read that tuples are not
> allowed to expand over several dtabase pages.

a tuple can't expand over ONE database page, and generally it prefers
packing several to many tuples per page.

any bytea field over a few bytes should be getting toasted.