Обсуждение: Incorrect password when restarting a cluster

Incorrect password when restarting a cluster

От
Hombakazi Cynthia Jozela
Дата:
Hello Community

I am new in Postgresql, and I used a "one click graphic installer", and  installed on Ubuntu and I need some assistance:

I would like to be advised on what I need to do when restarting a cluster as I am getting a password error when I try to. These are the steps I took:

hombakazi@hombakazi-VirtualBox:~$ sudo -i
[sudo] password for hombakazi:
root@hombakazi-VirtualBox:~# su
root@hombakazi-VirtualBox:~# su - postgres
$ /opt/PostgreSQL/9.2/scripts/serverctl.sh restart
Please enter your password if requested.
[sudo] password for postgres:
Sorry, try again.

So I don't understand whats going on because I know my postgres password and I use it to login and its working but here I get this error. What is it that I am not doing right? or I need to do.?

Ngejane Hombakazi
0728178913

Re: Incorrect password when restarting a cluster

От
rob stone

On Wed, 2013-09-25 at 03:13 -0700, Hombakazi Cynthia Jozela wrote:
> Hello Community
>
> I am new in Postgresql, and I used a "one click graphic installer",
> and  installed on Ubuntu and I need some assistance:
>
> I would like to be advised on what I need to do when restarting a
> cluster as I am getting a password error when I try to. These are the
> steps I took:
>
> hombakazi@hombakazi-VirtualBox:~$ sudo -i
> [sudo] password for hombakazi:
> root@hombakazi-VirtualBox:~# su
> root@hombakazi-VirtualBox:~# su - postgres
> $ /opt/PostgreSQL/9.2/scripts/serverctl.sh restart
> Please enter your password if requested.
> [sudo] password for postgres:
> Sorry, try again.
>
> So I don't understand whats going on because I know my postgres
> password and I use it to login and its working but here I get this
> error. What is it that I am not doing right? or I need to do.?
>

> Ngejane Hombakazi
> 0728178913

Hello,

You ran createdb to create a database? The database has a password? What
validation method is being used in pg_hba.conf?
Can you access your database via psql? E.g., psql -d
"the-name-of-the-database" -U "the-user-who-owns-this-database"
Depending on what is defined in pg_hba.conf it may or may not ask you
for the password you supplied when running createdb.

What is in the shell script you are running?

Cheers,
Robert

Re: Incorrect password when restarting a cluster

От
Stuart Bishop
Дата:
On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 5:13 PM, Hombakazi Cynthia Jozela
<hombakazij@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello Community
>
> I am new in Postgresql, and I used a "one click graphic installer", and
> installed on Ubuntu and I need some assistance:
>
> I would like to be advised on what I need to do when restarting a cluster as
> I am getting a password error when I try to. These are the steps I took:
>
> hombakazi@hombakazi-VirtualBox:~$ sudo -i
> [sudo] password for hombakazi:
> root@hombakazi-VirtualBox:~# su
> root@hombakazi-VirtualBox:~# su - postgres
> $ /opt/PostgreSQL/9.2/scripts/serverctl.sh restart
> Please enter your password if requested.
> [sudo] password for postgres:
> Sorry, try again.
>
> So I don't understand whats going on because I know my postgres password and
> I use it to login and its working but here I get this error. What is it that
> I am not doing right? or I need to do.?

That is asking for a sudo password, so I think you can just run
'/opt/PostgreSQL/9.2/scripts/serverctl.sh restart' from your normal
account, without all the proceeding sudo and su commands.

Most people use the standard PostgreSQL packages with Ubuntu.
PostgreSQL 9.1 is available with a few clicks using the software
center with Ubuntu 12.04 (precise) and Ubuntu 13.04 (raring). If you
want PostgreSQL 9.2 or 9.3, you are currently best off installing
Ubuntu 12.04 (precise) and following the instructions at
https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Apt

--
Stuart Bishop <stuart@stuartbishop.net>
http://www.stuartbishop.net/