Обсуждение: Building with MinGW issue

Building with MinGW issue

От
Muhammad Bashir Al-Noimi
Дата:
Howdy,

I want to build Postgresql 9.1 under Windows with MinGW but I get this
error message whever I configure the project:

checking openssl/ssl.h usability... no
checking openssl/ssl.h presence... no
checking for openssl/ssl.h... no
configure: error: header file <openssl/ssl.h> is required for OpenSSL

How can I fix this issue?

P.S. I use the following options for configuring call:
$ ./configure --without-zlib --with-openssl
--with-includes=C:/OpenSSL-Win32/include
--with-libraries=C:/OpenSSL-Win32/lib
/MinGW

--
Best Regards,
Muhammad Bashir Al-Noimi

Re: Building with MinGW issue

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 09/21/2013 12:08 AM, Muhammad Bashir Al-Noimi wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> I want to build Postgresql 9.1 under Windows with MinGW but I get this
> error message whever I configure the project:
>
> checking openssl/ssl.h usability... no
> checking openssl/ssl.h presence... no
> checking for openssl/ssl.h... no
> configure: error: header file <openssl/ssl.h> is required for OpenSSL
>
> How can I fix this issue?

Is openssl/ssh.h actually in the includes directory specified below?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com

Re: Building with MinGW issue

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 09/21/2013 07:30 AM, Muhammad Bashir Al-Noimi wrote:
> Yes.

So does the user you are running configure as  have the necessary
permissions to access the directory/file?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com

Re: Building with MinGW issue

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 09/21/2013 07:45 AM, Muhammad Bashir Al-Noimi wrote:
> Yes,I build using mingw/msys under Windows with administrator permission

Please reply to list also. Building software on Windows is not one of my
strong points, so keeping this conversation on the list will put it
front of people who are more capable in that area. Also bottom posting
is encouraged, it helps maintain the flow better. The only question I
have left at this time is:

What is the directory structure under C:/OpenSSL-Win32/include?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com

Re: Building with MinGW issue

От
Muhammad Bashir Al-Noimi
Дата:
On 09/21/2013 07:07 PM, Adrian Klaver wrote:
> On 09/21/2013 07:45 AM, Muhammad Bashir Al-Noimi wrote:
>> Yes,I build using mingw/msys under Windows with administrator permission
>>

> Please reply to list also. Building software on Windows is not one of
> my strong points, so keeping this conversation on the list will put it
> front of people who are more capable in that area. Also bottom posting
> is encouraged, it helps maintain the flow better.
Sorry, I was using my mobile phone which doesn't has "Reply to list"
button; Any way I've to use "Reply to all" button instead.

> The only question I have left at this time is:
>
> What is the directory structure under C:/OpenSSL-Win32/include?
it has single folder which is openssl; any way in the following you can
see the result of ls for include and openssl folders.
---- LOG OF MSYS ---
mbnoimi@MBNOIMI-VBOX /c/OpenSSL-Win32/include
$ ls
openssl

mbnoimi@MBNOIMI-VBOX /c/OpenSSL-Win32/include
$ cd openssl/

mbnoimi@MBNOIMI-VBOX /c/OpenSSL-Win32/include/openssl
$ ls
aes.h       conf.h      ecdsa.h     obj_mac.h      rc4.h        ts.h
applink.c   conf_api.h  engine.h    objects.h      ripemd.h txt_db.h
asn1.h      crypto.h    err.h       ocsp.h         rsa.h        ui.h
asn1_mac.h  des.h       evp.h       opensslconf.h  safestack.h ui_compat.h
asn1t.h     des_old.h   hmac.h      opensslv.h     seed.h whrlpool.h
bio.h       dh.h        idea.h      ossl_typ.h     sha.h x509.h
blowfish.h  dsa.h       krb5_asn.h  pem.h          ssl.h x509_vfy.h
bn.h        dso.h       kssl.h      pem2.h         ssl2.h x509v3.h
buffer.h    dtls1.h     lhash.h     pkcs12.h       ssl23.h
camellia.h  e_os2.h     md4.h       pkcs7.h        ssl3.h
cast.h      ebcdic.h    md5.h       pqueue.h       stack.h
cms.h       ec.h        mdc2.h      rand.h         symhacks.h
comp.h      ecdh.h      modes.h     rc2.h          tls1.h

mbnoimi@MBNOIMI-VBOX /c/OpenSSL-Win32/include/openssl

--
Best Regards,
Muhammad Bashir Al-Noimi

Re: Building with MinGW issue

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 09/22/2013 01:11 PM, Muhammad Bashir Al-Noimi wrote:
> On 09/21/2013 07:07 PM, Adrian Klaver wrote:
>> On 09/21/2013 07:45 AM, Muhammad Bashir Al-Noimi wrote:
>>> Yes,I build using mingw/msys under Windows with administrator permission
>>>

>> Please reply to list also. Building software on Windows is not one of
>> my strong points, so keeping this conversation on the list will put it
>> front of people who are more capable in that area. Also bottom posting
>> is encouraged, it helps maintain the flow better.
> Sorry, I was using my mobile phone which doesn't has "Reply to list"
> button; Any way I've to use "Reply to all" button instead.
>

>> The only question I have left at this time is:
>>
>> What is the directory structure under C:/OpenSSL-Win32/include?
> it has single folder which is openssl; any way in the following you can
> see the result of ls for include and openssl folders.
> ---- LOG OF MSYS ---
> mbnoimi@MBNOIMI-VBOX /c/OpenSSL-Win32/include
> $ ls
> openssl
>
> mbnoimi@MBNOIMI-VBOX /c/OpenSSL-Win32/include
> $ cd openssl/
>
> mbnoimi@MBNOIMI-VBOX /c/OpenSSL-Win32/include/openssl
> $ ls
> aes.h       conf.h      ecdsa.h     obj_mac.h      rc4.h        ts.h
> applink.c   conf_api.h  engine.h    objects.h      ripemd.h txt_db.h
> asn1.h      crypto.h    err.h       ocsp.h         rsa.h        ui.h
> asn1_mac.h  des.h       evp.h       opensslconf.h  safestack.h ui_compat.h
> asn1t.h     des_old.h   hmac.h      opensslv.h     seed.h whrlpool.h
> bio.h       dh.h        idea.h      ossl_typ.h     sha.h x509.h
> blowfish.h  dsa.h       krb5_asn.h  pem.h          ssl.h x509_vfy.h
> bn.h        dso.h       kssl.h      pem2.h         ssl2.h x509v3.h
> buffer.h    dtls1.h     lhash.h     pkcs12.h       ssl23.h
> camellia.h  e_os2.h     md4.h       pkcs7.h        ssl3.h
> cast.h      ebcdic.h    md5.h       pqueue.h       stack.h
> cms.h       ec.h        mdc2.h      rand.h         symhacks.h
> comp.h      ecdh.h      modes.h     rc2.h          tls1.h
>
> mbnoimi@MBNOIMI-VBOX /c/OpenSSL-Win32/include/openssl

So I am guessing that the paths shown above are coming from MSYS, they
do not look like Windows paths. This is where I start getting out of my
depth, but it looks to me like MinGW/MSYS are not agreeing with Windows
on pathing. Best I can do is point you to the page below and see if that
helps. There seems to good bit of information there on resolving PATH
issues:

http://www.mingw.org/wiki/Getting_Started

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com

Re: Building with MinGW issue

От
Muhammad Bashir Al-Noimi
Дата:
On 09/22/2013 10:40 PM, Adrian Klaver wrote:
> So I am guessing that the paths shown above are coming from MSYS, they
> do not look like Windows paths. This is where I start getting out of
> my depth, but it looks to me like MinGW/MSYS are not agreeing with
> Windows on pathing. Best I can do is point you to the page below and
> see if that helps. There seems to good bit of information there on
> resolving PATH issues:
>
> http://www.mingw.org/wiki/Getting_Started
Thanks for help but this is very un-useful way. I know exactly what
these info does, my question is very specified for who used/uses MinGW
practically. I need to build PG under Windows with MinGW.

I read https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Building_With_MinGW but it
didn't mention SSL support so I've to go with OpenSSL some guy in this
mailing list faced this issue before but unfortunately no one responded
http://web.archiveorange.com/archive/v/V95x82sNS8lCeW2yiGEY ; Today I'm
facing same problem once again and I hope to get the help from people
who really used MinGW

P.S. I successfully built PG with MinGW but without OpenSSL support so
I'm very curious why configuration options for OpenSSL doesn't work!
$ ./configure --without-zlib --with-openssl
--with-includes=C:/OpenSSL-Win32/include
--with-libraries=C:/OpenSSL-Win32/lib/MinGW

--
Best Regards,
Muhammad Bashir Al-Noimi

Re: Building with MinGW issue

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 09/22/2013 05:14 PM, Muhammad Bashir Al-Noimi wrote:
> On 09/22/2013 10:40 PM, Adrian Klaver wrote:
>> So I am guessing that the paths shown above are coming from MSYS, they
>> do not look like Windows paths. This is where I start getting out of
>> my depth, but it looks to me like MinGW/MSYS are not agreeing with
>> Windows on pathing. Best I can do is point you to the page below and
>> see if that helps. There seems to good bit of information there on
>> resolving PATH issues:
>>
>> http://www.mingw.org/wiki/Getting_Started
> Thanks for help but this is very un-useful way. I know exactly what
> these info does, my question is very specified for who used/uses MinGW
> practically. I need to build PG under Windows with MinGW.

Let us review:

1) The file exists.
2) The configure is run by a user  with the necessary permissions to see
and use the file.
3) The configure program reports it cannot find the file.

The most likely scenario that accounts for the above is that a PATH is
not being found correctly. I will and have admitted to not being
familiar with MinGW, but I pretty certain that my scenario is correct.
You can choose to ignore the above, but my guess is doing so will lead
down the wrong path(sorry, could not resist:)).

> I read https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Building_With_MinGW but it
> didn't mention SSL support so I've to go with OpenSSL some guy in this
> mailing list faced this issue before but unfortunately no one responded
> http://web.archiveorange.com/archive/v/V95x82sNS8lCeW2yiGEY ; Today I'm
> facing same problem once again and I hope to get the help from people
> who really used MinGW
>
> P.S. I successfully built PG with MinGW but without OpenSSL support so
> I'm very curious why configuration options for OpenSSL doesn't work!
> $ ./configure --without-zlib --with-openssl
> --with-includes=C:/OpenSSL-Win32/include
> --with-libraries=C:/OpenSSL-Win32/lib/MinGW

If it where me I would try:

  --with-includes=/c/OpenSSL-Win32/include
  --with-libraries=/c/OpenSSL-Win32/lib/MinGW

Good luck.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com

Re: Building with MinGW issue

От
Muhammad Bashir Al-Noimi
Дата:
On 09/23/2013 04:05 AM, Adrian Klaver wrote:
> If it where me I would try:
>
>  --with-includes=/c/OpenSSL-Win32/include
>  --with-libraries=/c/OpenSSL-Win32/lib/MinGW
Thanks a lot Adrian; I successfully configured PG with MinGW & OpenSSL
but I faced a new obstacle with make command:

In file included from ../../src/include/c.h:851:0,
                  from ../../src/include/postgres_fe.h:25,
                  from dirmod.c:21:
../../src/include/port.h:333:12: note: expected 'struct _stati64 *' but
argument
  is of type 'struct stat *'
  extern int pgwin32_safestat(const char *path, struct stat * buf);
             ^
dirmod.c: At top level:
dirmod.c:630:1: error: conflicting types for 'pgwin32_safestat'
  pgwin32_safestat(const char *path, struct stat * buf)
  ^
In file included from ../../src/include/c.h:851:0,
                  from ../../src/include/postgres_fe.h:25,
                  from dirmod.c:21:
../../src/include/port.h:333:12: note: previous declaration of
'pgwin32_safestat
' was here
  extern int pgwin32_safestat(const char *path, struct stat * buf);
             ^
make[2]: *** [dirmod.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/mbnoimi/postgresql-9.1.9/src/port'
make[1]: *** [all-port-recurse] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/mbnoimi/postgresql-9.1.9/src'
make: *** [all-src-recurse] Error 2

--
Best Regards,
Muhammad Bashir Al-Noimi

Re: Building with MinGW issue

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 09/23/2013 02:20 PM, Muhammad Bashir Al-Noimi wrote:
> On 09/23/2013 04:05 AM, Adrian Klaver wrote:
>> If it where me I would try:
>>
>>  --with-includes=/c/OpenSSL-Win32/include
>>  --with-libraries=/c/OpenSSL-Win32/lib/MinGW
> Thanks a lot Adrian; I successfully configured PG with MinGW & OpenSSL
> but I faced a new obstacle with make command:
>
> In file included from ../../src/include/c.h:851:0,
>                   from ../../src/include/postgres_fe.h:25,
>                   from dirmod.c:21:
> ../../src/include/port.h:333:12: note: expected 'struct _stati64 *' but
> argument
>   is of type 'struct stat *'
>   extern int pgwin32_safestat(const char *path, struct stat * buf);

Best guess is that you have a 32/64 bit mismatch problem. This is
explained here.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/interactive/install-windows-full.html#AEN26293

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com

Re: Building with MinGW issue

От
Muhammad Bashir Al-Noimi
Дата:
body p { margin-bottom: 0cm; margin-top: 0pt; }

    bidimailui-detected-decoding-type="UTF-8" text="#000000"
    bgcolor="#FFFFFF">
    On 09/24/2013 12:35 AM, Adrian Klaver
      wrote:

    Best
      guess is that you have a 32/64 bit mismatch problem. This is
      explained here.

      <a moz-do-not-send="true" class="moz-txt-link-freetext"

href="http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/interactive/install-windows-full.html#AEN26293">http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/interactive/install-windows-full.html#AEN26293

    But I build under Windows 7 32bit!
    --
Best Regards,
Muhammad Bashir Al-Noimi

Re: Building with MinGW issue

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 09/23/2013 03:50 PM, Muhammad Bashir Al-Noimi wrote:
> On 09/24/2013 12:35 AM, Adrian Klaver wrote:
>> Best guess is that you have a 32/64 bit mismatch problem. This is
>> explained here.
>>
>> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/interactive/install-windows-full.html#AEN26293
>

> But I build under Windows 7 32bit!

Reported here:

http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/ovpbg9.x5ovpbg9.pq9n.w333.gnus@asuka.myrkraverk.com

Not sure what the fix is, short of doing the manual intervention shown
in the first message.

You might want to post as bug here:

http://www.postgresql.org/support/submitbug/

or contact MinGW developers.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com

Re: Building with MinGW issue

От
Muhammad Bashir Al-Noimi
Дата:
On 09/24/2013 01:29 AM, Adrian Klaver wrote:
> Reported here:
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/ovpbg9.x5ovpbg9.pq9n.w333.gnus@asuka.myrkraverk.com
>

> Not sure what the fix is, short of doing the manual intervention shown
> in the first message.
I don't think this thread is related here because I'm using MinGW 32bit
while he used 64bit version.

> You might want to post as bug here:
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/support/submitbug/
>
> or contact MinGW developers.
I think it's better to report it for Postgresql guys, but until that may
any one help me here.

Postgresql unable to built by MinGW under Windows7 32bit!

--
Best Regards,
Muhammad Bashir Al-Noimi

Re: Building with MinGW issue

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 09/23/2013 05:29 PM, Muhammad Bashir Al-Noimi wrote:
> On 09/24/2013 01:29 AM, Adrian Klaver wrote:
>> Reported here:
>>
>> http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/ovpbg9.x5ovpbg9.pq9n.w333.gnus@asuka.myrkraverk.com
>>

>> Not sure what the fix is, short of doing the manual intervention shown
>> in the first message.
> I don't think this thread is related here because I'm using MinGW 32bit
> while he used 64bit version.

Well the error message is exactly the same, so my guess the cause is the
same.

>> You might want to post as bug here:
>>
>> http://www.postgresql.org/support/submitbug/
>>
>> or contact MinGW developers.
> I think it's better to report it for Postgresql guys, but until that may
> any one help me here.
>
> Postgresql unable to built by MinGW under Windows7 32bit!

Sort of late in the thread to ask this, but any reason you are not using
the precompiled binaries?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com

Re: Building with MinGW issue

От
Muhammad Bashir Al-Noimi
Дата:
On 09/24/2013 02:57 AM, Adrian Klaver wrote:
> Sort of late in the thread to ask this, but any reason you are not
> using the precompiled binaries?
I couldn’t find Postgresql binaries built by MinGW... Do you know if
these binaries already exist?

--
Best Regards,
Muhammad Bashir Al-Noimi

Re: Building with MinGW issue

От
John R Pierce
Дата:
On 9/26/2013 7:53 PM, Muhammad Bashir Al-Noimi wrote:
> On 09/24/2013 02:57 AM, Adrian Klaver wrote:
>> Sort of late in the thread to ask this, but any reason you are not
>> using the precompiled binaries?
> I couldn’t find Postgresql binaries built by MinGW... Do you know if
> these binaries already exist?

why does the compiler matter for a precompiled binary?

Re: Building with MinGW issue

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 09/26/2013 07:53 PM, Muhammad Bashir Al-Noimi wrote:
> On 09/24/2013 02:57 AM, Adrian Klaver wrote:
>> Sort of late in the thread to ask this, but any reason you are not
>> using the precompiled binaries?
> I couldn’t find Postgresql binaries built by MinGW... Do you know if
> these binaries already exist?

I was talking about these:

http://www.postgresql.org/download/windows/

Not sure what they are compiled with, it should not matter though.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com

Re: Building with MinGW issue

От
Muhammad Bashir Al-Noimi
Дата:
On 09/27/2013 05:04 AM, John R Pierce wrote:
> why does the compiler matter for a precompiled binary?
I want to link Postgresql client to my application statically so I've to
use precompiled binaries built by same compiler (in my case I'm using MinGW)

Default precompiled binaries of Postgresql built by MSVC ( libpq.lib and
libpq.dll )!!!

--
Best Regards,
Muhammad Bashir Al-Noimi

Re: Building with MinGW issue

От
Muhammad Bashir Al-Noimi
Дата:
On 09/27/2013 04:16 PM, Adrian Klaver wrote:
> I was talking about these:
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/download/windows/
>
> Not sure what they are compiled with, it should not matter though.
Oh man these binaries built by MSVC which takes us to first square!

--
Best Regards,
Muhammad Bashir Al-Noimi

Re: Building with MinGW issue

От
John R Pierce
Дата:
On 9/27/2013 1:03 PM, Muhammad Bashir Al-Noimi wrote:
> On 09/27/2013 05:04 AM, John R Pierce wrote:
>> why does the compiler matter for a precompiled binary?
> I want to link Postgresql client to my application statically

static linking is heavily deprecated in most all environments.

Re: Building with MinGW issue

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 09/27/2013 01:05 PM, Muhammad Bashir Al-Noimi wrote:
> On 09/27/2013 04:16 PM, Adrian Klaver wrote:
>> I was talking about these:
>>
>> http://www.postgresql.org/download/windows/
>>
>> Not sure what they are compiled with, it should not matter though.
> Oh man these binaries built by MSVC which takes us to first square!

Did you try the override method shown in this message?:

http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/ovpbg9.x5ovpbg9.pq9n.w333.gnus@asuka.myrkraverk.com

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com

Re: Building with MinGW issue

От
Muhammad Bashir Al-Noimi
Дата:
On 09/27/2013 10:42 PM, John R Pierce wrote:
> static linking is heavily deprecated in most all environments.
I don't think this true because there are many commercial SDKs uses
static linking so the major issue here not deprecation so I strongly
believe it's license issue.

--
Best Regards,
Muhammad Bashir Al-Noimi

Re: Building with MinGW issue

От
Muhammad Bashir Al-Noimi
Дата:
On 09/27/2013 10:57 PM, Adrian Klaver wrote:
> Did you try the override method shown in this message?:
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/ovpbg9.x5ovpbg9.pq9n.w333.gnus@asuka.myrkraverk.com

I found it very comlicated and made things worst (I got ton of errors)!!!

BTW, I wonder why Postgresql guys doesn't care about open source
compilers like other projects; they're part of open source community why
they support commercial compilers and drop the open source!!!

--
Best Regards,
Muhammad Bashir Al-Noimi

Re: Building with MinGW issue

От
Martijn van Oosterhout
Дата:
On Sun, Sep 29, 2013 at 07:09:40AM +0200, Muhammad Bashir Al-Noimi wrote:
> On 09/27/2013 10:57 PM, Adrian Klaver wrote:
> >Did you try the override method shown in this message?:
> >
> >http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/ovpbg9.x5ovpbg9.pq9n.w333.gnus@asuka.myrkraverk.com
>
> I found it very comlicated and made things worst (I got ton of errors)!!!
>
> BTW, I wonder why Postgresql guys doesn't care about open source
> compilers like other projects; they're part of open source community
> why they support commercial compilers and drop the open source!!!

Umm, this *is* on a proprietry platform. The problem is that if it
isn't tested much then people don't find the problems...  We try to
support as many platforms as possible, but are limited by what people
actually use.

And in this case it's not the compiler that's the problem but the
system libraries, which are different from every other platform.

Have a nice day,
> not attach much importance to his own thoughts.
   -- Arthur Schopenhauer

Вложения

Re: Building with MinGW issue

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 09/28/2013 10:09 PM, Muhammad Bashir Al-Noimi wrote:
> On 09/27/2013 10:57 PM, Adrian Klaver wrote:
>> Did you try the override method shown in this message?:
>>
>> http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/ovpbg9.x5ovpbg9.pq9n.w333.gnus@asuka.myrkraverk.com
>

> I found it very comlicated and made things worst (I got ton of errors)!!!
>
> BTW, I wonder why Postgresql guys doesn't care about open source
> compilers like other projects; they're part of open source community why
> they support commercial compilers and drop the open source!!!

I am not sure what you mean, I compile my Postgres instances from source
using GCC on a regular basis. Now if you are talking to about the
precompiled binaries that is up to folks compiling the source, in this
case EnterpriseDB. They do that as a service to the community and from
all accounts it has greatly aided the use of Postgres on Windows. They
have forums you could bring this up on and make the case for MinGW. Your
particular issue seems to be the intersection of three things MinGW,
Windows, and Postgres. MinGW is basically bringing a subset of Unix to
Windows and that accounted for your first problem, finding the correct
path. The second problem seems to a disagreement between MinGW and
Postgres on what struct stat is. You have raised the issue which is
good, but you might, as previously suggested, also raise it with the
MinGW developers/community. They may already have a solution that this
list is unaware of. In the end open source is about the people in it
working towards solutions. You can make your wish of improved support
for MinGW  come true by helping in finding the answers.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com