Обсуждение: store multiple rows with the SELECT INTO statement

store multiple rows with the SELECT INTO statement

От
"Janek Sendrowski"
Дата:

Re: store multiple rows with the SELECT INTO statement

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 09/01/2013 05:23 PM, Janek Sendrowski wrote:
> Hi,
> Why is it only possible to store one row by a query which returns
> multiple rows using the SELECT INTO statement.
> and
> How can I do a Query on a record varialbe, somehow like this:
> SELECT * FROM v_rec

You can't a record variable can only hold a single row.

FYI SELECT INTO in plpgsql is not the same as the SQL SELECT INTO:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/interactive/plpgsql-statements.html#PLPGSQL-STATEMENTS-SQL-ONEROW

Tip: Note that this interpretation of SELECT with INTO is quite
different from PostgreSQL's regular SELECT INTO command, wherein the
INTO target is a newly created table. If you want to create a table from
a SELECT result inside a PL/pgSQL function, use the syntax CREATE TABLE
... AS SELECT.

One way I have gotten around this to create a temporary table in the
function and fill it with data and then select from it as suggested above.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com

Re: store multiple rows with the SELECT INTO statement

От
Pavel Stehule
Дата:
Hello

PostgreSQL doesn't support a table variables, but you can use a arrays.

postgres=# create table foo2(a int, b int);
CREATE TABLE
postgres=# insert into foo2 select i, i+1 from generate_series(1,4) g(i);
INSERT 0 4
postgres=# select * from foo2;
 a | b
---+---
 1 | 2
 2 | 3
 3 | 4
 4 | 5
(4 rows)

postgres=# select array(select row(a,b) from foo2);
             ?column?
-----------------------------------
 {"(1,2)","(2,3)","(3,4)","(4,5)"}
(1 row)
                                                             ^
postgres=# select * from unnest(array(select row(a,b) from foo2)) as (a int, b int);
 a | b
---+---
 1 | 2
 2 | 3
 3 | 4
 4 | 5
(4 rows)

or in plpgsql

postgres=# do $$
declare
  a foo2[] = array(select row(a,b) from foo2);
  r record;
begin
  for r in select * from unnest(a)
  loop
    raise notice '% %', r.a, r.b;
  end loop;
end;
$$;
NOTICE:  1 2
NOTICE:  2 3
NOTICE:  3 4
NOTICE:  4 5
DO

Regards

Pavel

Why is it only possible to store one row by a query which returns multiple rows using the SELECT INTO statement.
and
How can I do a Query on a record varialbe, somehow like this:
SELECT * FROM v_rec

Janek Sendrowski

Re: store multiple rows with the SELECT INTO statement

От
Kevin Grittner
Дата:
Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:

> PostgreSQL doesn't support a table variables

Well, from a relational theory point of view, a variable which
stores a relation is what a table *is*.  PostgreSQL attempts to
store data for temporary tables in RAM and spill them to disk only
as needed.  So IMO the response suggesting a temporary table was on
target.

--
Kevin Grittner
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: store multiple rows with the SELECT INTO statement

От
"Janek Sendrowski"
Дата:
Thanks for the answers.

I just can't understabd why it's not possible to store multiple columns returning from a dynamic Select
statementwhich is executet with EXECUTE into a temporary table.

If I'm gonna use the LOOP through the SELECT statement, how can insert the data from the record into the temp
table?

Janek Sendrowski

Re: store multiple rows with the SELECT INTO statement

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 09/03/2013 12:10 PM, Janek Sendrowski wrote:
> Thanks for the answers.
> I just can't understabd why it's not possible to store multiple columns
> returning from a dynamic Select statement which is executet with EXECUTE
> into a temporary table.
> If I'm gonna use the LOOP through the SELECT statement, how can insert
> the data from the record into the temp table?

I sent you an example off-list, does that not work?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com

Re: store multiple rows with the SELECT INTO statement

От
Kevin Grittner
Дата:
Janek Sendrowski <janek12@web.de> wrote:

> I just can't understabd why it's not possible to store multiple
> columns returning from a dynamic Select statement which is
> executet with EXECUTE into a temporary table.

You can:

CREATE TEMPORARY TABLE AS SELECT ...

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/interactive/sql-createtableas. html

As the Notes section says:

| This command is functionally similar to SELECT INTO, but it is
| preferred since it is less likely to be confused with other uses
| of the SELECT INTO syntax. Furthermore, CREATE TABLE AS offers a
| superset of the functionality offered by SELECT INTO.

Also see this:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/interactive/plpgsql-statements.html#PLPGSQL-STATEMENTS-ASSIGNMENT

| Tip: Note that this interpretation of SELECT with INTO is quite
| different from PostgreSQL's regular SELECT INTO command, wherein
| the INTO target is a newly created table. If you want to create a
| table from a SELECT result inside a PL/pgSQL function, use the
| syntax CREATE TABLE ... AS SELECT.

--
Kevin Grittner
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: store multiple rows with the SELECT INTO statement

От
"Janek Sendrowski"
Дата:
The links don't work.

I don't know why.

how just don't know how to insert the data of a record in a table

Re: store multiple rows with the SELECT INTO statement

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 09/03/2013 02:52 PM, Janek Sendrowski wrote:
> The links don't work.
> I don't know why.
> how just don't know how to insert the data of a record in a table

The link I sent points to 39.6.4. Looping Through Query Results in the
plpgsql documentation:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/interactive/plpgsql.html

In the meantime, could you come up with some pseudo code that
demonstrates what you want to do?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com

Re: store multiple rows with the SELECT INTO statement

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 09/03/2013 04:34 PM, Janek Sendrowski wrote:
> A loop through every input sentence
> FOR i IN 1..array_length(p_sentence, 1) LOOP
>      FOR some_rec IN EXECUTE "SELECT * FROM table WHERE "Fulltextsearch
> statement" LOOP
>          "Insert the current record data into the temp table"
>      END LOOP;
> END LOOP;
> Do a next query on the table

I am CCing the list, other people will probably have other solutions to
offer.

To do what you show something like below. A shorter method would use
FOREACH for looping through the array, see;

39.6.5. Looping Through Arrays

CREATE TABLE source_table(id int, fld_1 varchar, fld_2 boolean);

INSERT INTO source_table VALUES (1, 'test', 't'), (2, 'test2', 'f'), (3,
'test3', 't');

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION public.test_fnc()
  RETURNS void
  LANGUAGE plpgsql
AS $function$
DECLARE
     array_var integer[] := '{1, 2, 3}';
     source_rec record;
     target_rec record;
BEGIN
     CREATE TEMP TABLE temp_tbl(id int, fld_1 varchar, fld_2 boolean);
     FOR i IN 1..array_length(array_var, 1) LOOP
         SELECT INTO source_rec * FROM source_table WHERE id = array_var[i];
         INSERT INTO temp_tbl VALUES(source_rec.id, source_rec.fld_1,
source_rec.fld_2);
         SELECT INTO target_rec * FROM temp_tbl WHERE id = array_var[i];
         RAISE NOTICE 'Id is %, fld_1 is %, fld_2 is %', target_rec.id,
target_rec.fld_1, target_rec.fld_2;
     END LOOP;
     DROP TABLE temp_tbl;
RETURN;
END;
$function$
;

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com

Re: store multiple rows with the SELECT INTO statement

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 09/03/2013 04:34 PM, Janek Sendrowski wrote:
> A loop through every input sentence
> FOR i IN 1..array_length(p_sentence, 1) LOOP
>      FOR some_rec IN EXECUTE "SELECT * FROM table WHERE "Fulltextsearch
> statement" LOOP
>          "Insert the current record data into the temp table"
>      END LOOP;
> END LOOP;
> Do a next query on the table

Forgot to mention the FOREACH loop is in Postgres 9.1+
--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com