Обсуждение: Longest Common Subsequence in Postgres - Algorithm Challenge

Longest Common Subsequence in Postgres - Algorithm Challenge

От
Robert James
Дата:
I have two relations, where each relation has two fields, one
indicating a name and one indicating a position.  That is, each
relation defines a sequence.

I need to determine their longest common subsequence.  Yes, I can do
this by fetching all the data into Java (or any other language) and
computing it using the standard LCS dynamic programming language.  But
I'd like to stay within Postgres.  Is there any way to do this?

Re: Longest Common Subsequence in Postgres - Algorithm Challenge

От
Atri Sharma
Дата:
On Mon, Jul 8, 2013 at 6:39 PM, Robert James <srobertjames@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have two relations, where each relation has two fields, one
> indicating a name and one indicating a position.  That is, each
> relation defines a sequence.
>
> I need to determine their longest common subsequence.  Yes, I can do
> this by fetching all the data into Java (or any other language) and
> computing it using the standard LCS dynamic programming language.  But
> I'd like to stay within Postgres.  Is there any way to do this?

Pl/R is the way to go,IMO.

Or any supported language.

Regards,

Atri

Atri
l'apprenant

Re: Longest Common Subsequence in Postgres - Algorithm Challenge

От
hubert depesz lubaczewski
Дата:
On Mon, Jul 08, 2013 at 09:09:26AM -0400, Robert James wrote:
> I have two relations, where each relation has two fields, one
> indicating a name and one indicating a position.  That is, each
> relation defines a sequence.
>
> I need to determine their longest common subsequence.  Yes, I can do
> this by fetching all the data into Java (or any other language) and
> computing it using the standard LCS dynamic programming language.  But
> I'd like to stay within Postgres.  Is there any way to do this?

I'm not entirely sure I understand. Can you show us some sample data and
expected output?

Best regards,

depesz

Re: Longest Common Subsequence in Postgres - Algorithm Challenge

От
Robert James
Дата:
On 7/8/13, hubert depesz lubaczewski <depesz@depesz.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 08, 2013 at 09:09:26AM -0400, Robert James wrote:
>> I have two relations, where each relation has two fields, one
>> indicating a name and one indicating a position.  That is, each
>> relation defines a sequence.
>>
>> I need to determine their longest common subsequence.  Yes, I can do
>> this by fetching all the data into Java (or any other language) and
>> computing it using the standard LCS dynamic programming language.  But
>> I'd like to stay within Postgres.  Is there any way to do this?
>
> I'm not entirely sure I understand. Can you show us some sample data and
> expected output?

Sure.  Borrowing a good example from
http://wordaligned.org/articles/longest-common-subsequence :

Table A (val varchar primary key, pos integer):
1, "C"
2, "H"
3, "I"
4, "M"
5, "P"
6, "A"
7, "N"
8, "Z"
9, "E"
10, "E"

Table B (val varchar primary key, pos integer):
1, "H"
2, "U"
3, "M"
4, "A"
5, "N"

SELECT LongestCommonSubsequence(A,B):
1, "H"
2, "M"
3, "A"
4, "N"

(Common chars are in upper case:
cHiMpANzee
HuMAN
)

The std dynamic programming algorithm is described at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longest_common_subsequence_problem

Re: Longest Common Subsequence in Postgres - Algorithm Challenge

От
Michael Paquier
Дата:
On Tue, Jul 9, 2013 at 5:04 AM, Robert James <srobertjames@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/8/13, hubert depesz lubaczewski <depesz@depesz.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Jul 08, 2013 at 09:09:26AM -0400, Robert James wrote:
>>> I have two relations, where each relation has two fields, one
>>> indicating a name and one indicating a position.  That is, each
>>> relation defines a sequence.
>>>
>>> I need to determine their longest common subsequence.  Yes, I can do
>>> this by fetching all the data into Java (or any other language) and
>>> computing it using the standard LCS dynamic programming language.  But
>>> I'd like to stay within Postgres.  Is there any way to do this?
>>
>> I'm not entirely sure I understand. Can you show us some sample data and
>> expected output?
>
> Sure.  Borrowing a good example from
> http://wordaligned.org/articles/longest-common-subsequence :
>
> Table A (val varchar primary key, pos integer):
> 1, "C"
> 2, "H"
> 3, "I"
> 4, "M"
> 5, "P"
> 6, "A"
> 7, "N"
> 8, "Z"
> 9, "E"
> 10, "E"
>
> Table B (val varchar primary key, pos integer):
> 1, "H"
> 2, "U"
> 3, "M"
> 4, "A"
> 5, "N"
>
> SELECT LongestCommonSubsequence(A,B):
> 1, "H"
> 2, "M"
> 3, "A"
> 4, "N"
>
> (Common chars are in upper case:
> cHiMpANzee
> HuMAN
> )
>
> The std dynamic programming algorithm is described at
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longest_common_subsequence_problem
Your best bet on that would be to implement using either a procedural
language (plpython, plperl that are in core, or even another one), or
a C function and install it on server side with an extension. I'll do
the latter if I were you. Roughly such a function would take in
arguments the OIDs of the functions to compare (or their relation
name), and return a set of rows describing the longest sequence found.
--
Michael

Re: Longest Common Subsequence in Postgres - Algorithm Challenge

От
Marcin Mańk

Dnia 9 lip 2013 o godz. 00:46 Michael Paquier <michael.paquier@gmail.com> napisał(a):

> On Tue, Jul 9, 2013 at 5:04 AM, Robert James <srobertjames@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I'm not entirely sure I understand. Can you show us some sample data and
>>> expected output?
>>
>> Sure.  Borrowing a good example from
>> http://wordaligned.org/articles/longest-common-subsequence :
>>
>> Table A (val varchar primary key, pos integer):
>> 1, "C"
>> 2, "H"
>> 3, "I"
>> 4, "M"
>> 5, "P"
>> 6, "A"
>> 7, "N"
>> 8, "Z"
>> 9, "E"
>> 10, "E"
>>
>> Table B (val varchar primary key, pos integer):
>> 1, "H"
>> 2, "U"
>> 3, "M"
>> 4, "A"
>> 5, "N"
>>
>> SELECT LongestCommonSubsequence(A,B):
>> 1, "H"
>> 2, "M"
>> 3, "A"
>> 4, "N"
>>
>> (Common chars are in upper case:
>> cHiMpANzee
>> HuMAN
>> )
>>
>> The std dynamic programming algorithm is described at
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longest_common_subsequence_problem
> Your best bet on that would be to implement using either a procedural
> language (plpython, plperl that are in core, or even another one), or
> a C function and install it on server side with an extension. I'll do
> the latter if I were you. Roughly such a function would take in
> arguments the OIDs of the functions to compare (or their relation
> name), and return a set of rows describing the longest sequence found.

Also if you only need the length of lcs, you can derive it using the built in levenshtein with costs function

Re: Longest Common Subsequence in Postgres - Algorithm Challenge

От
Darren Duncan
Дата:
Though people talk about doing this in other languages, I think you can solve it
in plain SQL if you wanted to.

For one thing, you could start off using unordered set operations to make the
problem space smaller, such as using set intersection to see what the common
subSETs of values there are from each of the sequences, which SQL does quickly
and easily, and then you can eliminate any subsequences from the original whose
set of values don't match one of these common subsets, and only those would you
then have to compare for order.

-- Darren Duncan

On 2013.07.08 1:04 PM, Robert James wrote:
> On 7/8/13, hubert depesz lubaczewski <depesz@depesz.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Jul 08, 2013 at 09:09:26AM -0400, Robert James wrote:
>>> I have two relations, where each relation has two fields, one
>>> indicating a name and one indicating a position.  That is, each
>>> relation defines a sequence.
>>>
>>> I need to determine their longest common subsequence.  Yes, I can do
>>> this by fetching all the data into Java (or any other language) and
>>> computing it using the standard LCS dynamic programming language.  But
>>> I'd like to stay within Postgres.  Is there any way to do this?
>>
>> I'm not entirely sure I understand. Can you show us some sample data and
>> expected output?
>
> Sure.  Borrowing a good example from
> http://wordaligned.org/articles/longest-common-subsequence :
>
> Table A (val varchar primary key, pos integer):
> 1, "C"
> 2, "H"
> 3, "I"
> 4, "M"
> 5, "P"
> 6, "A"
> 7, "N"
> 8, "Z"
> 9, "E"
> 10, "E"
>
> Table B (val varchar primary key, pos integer):
> 1, "H"
> 2, "U"
> 3, "M"
> 4, "A"
> 5, "N"
>
> SELECT LongestCommonSubsequence(A,B):
> 1, "H"
> 2, "M"
> 3, "A"
> 4, "N"
>
> (Common chars are in upper case:
> cHiMpANzee
> HuMAN
> )
>
> The std dynamic programming algorithm is described at
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longest_common_subsequence_problem

Re: Longest Common Subsequence in Postgres - Algorithm Challenge

От
Misa Simic