Обсуждение: JDBC driver versions

JDBC driver versions

От
Ramsey Gurley
Дата:
Hi all,

I'm migrating from postgres 8.3 to 9.2. Included in my application is an old jar for the JDBC driver for the 8.3
database.Do I need a separate build with an up to date JDBC jar for 9.2 while I am testing out a new database or is it
safeto use the latest JDBC jar with a very old version of postgres?

Thanks,

Ramsey

Re: JDBC driver versions

От
John R Pierce
Дата:
On 4/16/2013 1:13 PM, Ramsey Gurley wrote:
> I'm migrating from postgres 8.3 to 9.2. Included in my application is an old jar for the JDBC driver for the 8.3
database.Do I need a separate build with an up to date JDBC jar for 9.2 while I am testing out a new database or is it
safeto use the latest JDBC jar with a very old version of postgres?

latest version should work with older database servers.    otherway
around is less trustworthy (although it /probably/ will work for many
purposes).

Re: JDBC driver versions

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 04/16/2013 01:13 PM, Ramsey Gurley wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm migrating from postgres 8.3 to 9.2. Included in my application is an old jar for the JDBC driver for the 8.3
database.Do I need a separate build with an up to date JDBC jar for 9.2 while I am testing out a new database or is it
safeto use the latest JDBC jar with a very old version of postgres?

 From here:
http://jdbc.postgresql.org/download.html#current

"
Current Version

This is the current version of the driver. Unless you have unusual
requirements (running old applications or JVMs), this is the driver you
should be using. It supports Postgresql 7.2 or newer and requires a 1.5
or newer JVM. It contains support for SSL and the javax.sql package. It
comes in two flavours, JDBC3 and JDBC4. If you are using the 1.6 or 1.7
JVM, then you should use the JDBC4 version.

"

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com

Re: JDBC driver versions

От
Ramsey Gurley
Дата:
Okay, I saw that, but I just wanted to double check. It seemed odd that there were builds going all the way back to 8.2
ifthe 9.2 version should work for everything.

Thanks for the reassurance :-)

Ramsey

On Apr 16, 2013, at 1:36 PM, Adrian Klaver wrote:

> On 04/16/2013 01:13 PM, Ramsey Gurley wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm migrating from postgres 8.3 to 9.2. Included in my application is an old jar for the JDBC driver for the 8.3
database.Do I need a separate build with an up to date JDBC jar for 9.2 while I am testing out a new database or is it
safeto use the latest JDBC jar with a very old version of postgres?

> From here:
> http://jdbc.postgresql.org/download.html#current
>
> "
> Current Version
>
> This is the current version of the driver. Unless you have unusual requirements (running old applications or JVMs),
thisis the driver you should be using. It supports Postgresql 7.2 or newer and requires a 1.5 or newer JVM. It contains
supportfor SSL and the javax.sql package. It comes in two flavours, JDBC3 and JDBC4. If you are using the 1.6 or 1.7
JVM,then you should use the JDBC4 version.

> "
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Ramsey
>>

> --
> Adrian Klaver
> adrian.klaver@gmail.com

Re: JDBC driver versions

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 04/16/2013 01:54 PM, Ramsey Gurley wrote:
> Okay, I saw that, but I just wanted to double check. It seemed odd that there were builds going all the way back to
8.2if the 9.2 version should work for everything.

It works for Postgres going back to 7.2, but not for older JDK and JDBC
versions. So per the docs they are kept around for those people that
need to use them with older software.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com