Обсуждение: Need sql to pull data from terribly architected table

Need sql to pull data from terribly architected table

От
"Gauthier, Dave"

Here's the deal...

Instead of architecting and loading a table like...

create teble foo (col1 text, col2 text, col3 text, col4 text, col5 text);

insert into foo (col1,col2,col3,col4,col5) values ('c1',null,'c3','c4',null);

They did this instead...

create table foo (property text, value text);

insert into foo (property, value) values ('col1','c1'), ('col3','c3'), ('col4','c4');

Notice how "col2" and "col5" were simply left out of the table in the 2nd model to indicate null.

The question is how to do this model 1 query for model 2...

select col1,col2 from foo where col4='c4' and col5 <> 'xxx';

I know I have to use outer joins to deal with the potential of nulls.  But I don't know how to construct this.  I won't list my failed attempts (so as not to embarass myself :-))

Thanks in Advance !

Re: Need sql to pull data from terribly architected table

От
Chris Curvey

Instead of architecting and loading a table like...

create teble foo (col1 text, col2 text, col3 text, col4 text, col5 text);

insert into foo (col1,col2,col3,col4,col5) values ('c1',null,'c3','c4',null);

They did this instead...

create table foo (property text, value text);

insert into foo (property, value) values ('col1','c1'), ('col3','c3'), ('col4','c4');

Notice how "col2" and "col5" were simply left out of the table in the 2nd model to indicate null.

The question is how to do this model 1 query for model 2...

select col1,col2 from foo where col4='c4' and col5 <> 'xxx';

I know I have to use outer joins to deal with the potential of nulls.  But I don't know how to construct this.  I won't list my failed attempts (so as not to embarass myself :-))

Thanks in Advance !

assuming there is some other column (I'll call it "id") that tells you which rows in foo go together, then this is a two-stepper:

1) Get the list of all the ids

create temporary table my_ids (id integer);

insert into my_ids (id)
select distinct id from foo;

2) Now go back and get the values

select my_ids.id
, c1.value as col1
, c2.value as col2
, c3.value as col3
, c4.value as col4
, c5.value as col5
from my_ids
left join foo c1 on my_ids.id = c1.id
left join foo c2 on my_ids.id = c2.id
left join foo c3 on my_ids.id = c3.id
left join foo c4 on my_ids.id = c4.id
left join foo c5 on my_ids.id = c5.id

--
e-Mail is the equivalent of a postcard written in pencil.  This message may not have been sent by me, or intended for you.  It may have been read or even modified while in transit.  e-Mail disclaimers have the same force in law as a note passed in study hall.  If your corporate attorney says that you need an disclaimer in your signature, you need a new corporate attorney.

Re: Need sql to pull data from terribly architected table

От
"David Johnston"

Instead of architecting and loading a table like...

create teble foo (col1 text, col2 text, col3 text, col4 text, col5 text);

insert into foo (col1,col2,col3,col4,col5) values ('c1',null,'c3','c4',null);

They did this instead...

create table foo (property text, value text);

insert into foo (property, value) values ('col1','c1'), ('col3','c3'), ('col4','c4');

Notice how "col2" and "col5" were simply left out of the table in the 2nd model to indicate null.

The question is how to do this model 1 query for model 2...

select col1,col2 from foo where col4='c4' and col5 <> 'xxx';

I know I have to use outer joins to deal with the potential of nulls.  But I don't know how to construct this.  I won't list my failed attempts (so as not to embarass myself :-))

Thanks in Advance !

WITH remap (

SELECT id_field_not_shown_above, v1, v2, v3, v4, v5

FROM (SELECT id_field_not_shown_above FROM foo) master

LEFT JOIN (SELECT id_field_not_shown_above, v1 FROM foo WHERE property = ‘col1’) r1 USING (id_field_not_shown_above)

LEFT JOIN (SELECT id_field_not_shown_above, v2 FROM foo WHERE property = ‘col2’) r2 USING (id_field_not_shown_above)

LEFT JOIN (SELECT id_field_not_shown_above, v3 FROM foo WHERE property = ‘col3’) r3 USING (id_field_not_shown_above)

LEFT JOIN (SELECT id_field_not_shown_above, v4 FROM foo WHERE property = ‘col4’) r4 USING (id_field_not_shown_above)

LEFT JOIN (SELECT id_field_not_shown_above, v5 FROM foo WHERE property = ‘col5’) r5 USING (id_field_not_shown_above)

)

SELCET * FROM remap

David J.

Re: Need sql to pull data from terribly architected table

От
Richard Broersma
Дата:
SELECT my_ids.id, ARRAY_AGG( ( property, valve ) order by property)
  FROM my_ids
ORDER BY id;

Richard Broersma Jr.