Обсуждение: Multiple Cluster on same host

Multiple Cluster on same host

От
GMAIL

I have 2 cluster databases, running on the same host, Ubuntu. My fist database port is set to default but my second database port is set to 5433 in the postgresql.conf file. While everything is ok with local connections, I cannot connect using any of my tools to the second database with port 5433, including pgAdmin. Please help. Any parameter that I need to modify for the new database with port 5433?

netstat -an | grep 5433 shows,

tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:5433 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN
tcp6 0 0 :::5433 :::* LISTEN
unix 2 [ ACC ] STREAM LISTENING 72842 /var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5433

iptables -L shows,

Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Re: Multiple Cluster on same host

От
Chris Ernst
Дата:
On 10/19/2012 07:02 AM, GMAIL wrote:
> I have 2 cluster databases, running on the same host, Ubuntu. My fist
> database port is set to default but my second database port is set to
> 5433 in the postgresql.conf file. While everything is ok with local
> connections, I cannot connect using any of my tools to the second
> database with port 5433, including pgAdmin. Please help. Any parameter
> that I need to modify for the new database with port 5433?

Is pg_hba.conf for the second cluster set up to allow access from
wherever you are connecting from?

    - Chris

Re: Multiple Cluster on same host

От
GMAIL
Дата:
Il 19/10/2012 15:24, Chris Ernst ha scritto:
> On 10/19/2012 07:02 AM, GMAIL wrote:
>> I have 2 cluster databases, running on the same host, Ubuntu. My fist
>> database port is set to default but my second database port is set to
>> 5433 in the postgresql.conf file. While everything is ok with local
>> connections, I cannot connect using any of my tools to the second
>> database with port 5433, including pgAdmin. Please help. Any parameter
>> that I need to modify for the new database with port 5433?
> Is pg_hba.conf for the second cluster set up to allow access from
> wherever you are connecting from?
>
>     - Chris

yes

Re: Multiple Cluster on same host

От
Chris Ernst
Дата:
On 10/19/2012 07:24 AM, GMAIL wrote:
> Il 19/10/2012 15:24, Chris Ernst ha scritto:
>> On 10/19/2012 07:02 AM, GMAIL wrote:
>>> I have 2 cluster databases, running on the same host, Ubuntu. My fist
>>> database port is set to default but my second database port is set to
>>> 5433 in the postgresql.conf file. While everything is ok with local
>>> connections, I cannot connect using any of my tools to the second
>>> database with port 5433, including pgAdmin. Please help. Any parameter
>>> that I need to modify for the new database with port 5433?
>> Is pg_hba.conf for the second cluster set up to allow access from
>> wherever you are connecting from?
> yes

What happens when you try to connect?  Any error message?  Log entries?

    - Chris

Re: Multiple Cluster on same host

От
GMAIL
Дата:
Il 19/10/2012 15:40, Chris Ernst ha scritto:
> On 10/19/2012 07:24 AM, GMAIL wrote:
> What happens when you try to connect? Any error message? Log entries?
> - Chris
now i be able to connect, after update pgAdmin, but i receive the
following error:
"ERROR: column "datconfig" does not exist
LINE 1: ...b.dattablespace AS spcoid, spcname, datallowconn, datconfig,..."

"Column not found in pgSet:rolconfig"

Re: Multiple Cluster on same host

От
GMAIL
Дата:
Il 19/10/2012 15:40, Chris Ernst ha scritto:
> On 10/19/2012 07:24 AM, GMAIL wrote:
>>> Is pg_hba.conf for the second cluster set up to allow access from
>>> wherever you are connecting from?
>> yes
> What happens when you try to connect?  Any error message?  Log entries?
>
>     - Chris

sorry I was confused. i don't receive any message

Re: Multiple Cluster on same host

От
Chris Ernst
Дата:
On 10/19/2012 07:50 AM, GMAIL wrote:
> Il 19/10/2012 15:40, Chris Ernst ha scritto:
>> On 10/19/2012 07:24 AM, GMAIL wrote:
>> What happens when you try to connect? Any error message? Log entries?
>> - Chris
> now i be able to connect, after update pgAdmin, but i receive the
> following error:
> "ERROR: column "datconfig" does not exist
> LINE 1: ...b.dattablespace AS spcoid, spcname, datallowconn, datconfig,..."
>
> "Column not found in pgSet:rolconfig"

You didn't mention the versions of either PostgreSQL or pgAndmin, but
that sounds like you're using a newer version of PostgreSQL (9.1.x ?)
with and older version on pgAdmin (< 1.12.x ?).  You may simply need to
upgrade pgAdmin (>= 1.12.x).

    - Chris

Re: Multiple Cluster on same host

От
GMAIL
Дата:
Il 19/10/2012 16:05, Chris Ernst ha scritto:
> On 10/19/2012 07:50 AM, GMAIL wrote:
>> Il 19/10/2012 15:40, Chris Ernst ha scritto:
>>> On 10/19/2012 07:24 AM, GMAIL wrote:
>>> What happens when you try to connect? Any error message? Log entries?
>>> - Chris
>> now i be able to connect, after update pgAdmin, but i receive the
>> following error:
>> "ERROR: column "datconfig" does not exist
>> LINE 1: ...b.dattablespace AS spcoid, spcname, datallowconn, datconfig,..."
>>
>> "Column not found in pgSet:rolconfig"
> You didn't mention the versions of either PostgreSQL or pgAndmin, but
> that sounds like you're using a newer version of PostgreSQL (9.1.x ?)
> with and older version on pgAdmin (< 1.12.x ?).  You may simply need to
> upgrade pgAdmin (>= 1.12.x).
>
>     - Chris

i use postgresql 9.1 and pgadmin 1.8.4

Re: Multiple Cluster on same host

От
Shaun Thomas
Дата:
On 10/19/2012 09:06 AM, GMAIL wrote:

> i use postgresql 9.1 and pgadmin 1.8.4

Yeah, that version of pgAdmin is *way* too old. 1.16 was released fairly
recently, and it works great.

--
Shaun Thomas
312-444-8534

Re: Multiple Cluster on same host

От
Chris Ernst
Дата:
On 10/19/2012 08:06 AM, GMAIL wrote:
> Il 19/10/2012 16:05, Chris Ernst ha scritto:
>>> now i be able to connect, after update pgAdmin, but i receive the
>>> following error:
>>> "ERROR: column "datconfig" does not exist
>>> LINE 1: ...b.dattablespace AS spcoid, spcname, datallowconn,
>>> datconfig,..."
>>>
>>> "Column not found in pgSet:rolconfig"
>> You didn't mention the versions of either PostgreSQL or pgAndmin, but
>> that sounds like you're using a newer version of PostgreSQL (9.1.x ?)
>> with and older version on pgAdmin (< 1.12.x ?).  You may simply need to
>> upgrade pgAdmin (>= 1.12.x).
>>
> i use postgresql 9.1 and pgadmin 1.8.4

And there it is.  You'll need pgAdmin >= 1.12.x to work with PostgreSQL 9.1.

    - Chris

Re: Multiple Cluster on same host

От
GMAIL
Дата:
Il 19/10/2012 16:11, Shaun Thomas ha scritto:
> On 10/19/2012 09:06 AM, GMAIL wrote:
>
>> i use postgresql 9.1 and pgadmin 1.8.4
>
> Yeah, that version of pgAdmin is *way* too old. 1.16 was released
> fairly recently, and it works great.

i try the version 1.16 but it doesn't work. i don't get any error message

Re: Multiple Cluster on same host

От
GMAIL
Дата:
  postgresql 9.1 and pgadmin 1.8.4

> And there it is.  You'll need pgAdmin >= 1.12.x to work with PostgreSQL 9.1.
>
>     - Chris

can be a firewall problem?

Re: Multiple Cluster on same host

От
Shaun Thomas
Дата:
On 10/19/2012 09:14 AM, GMAIL wrote:

> i try the version 1.16 but it doesn't work. i don't get any error
> message

If you don't get any error message from the client or the server, are
you sure it didn't work?

I only ask because 1.8 was so old, I'm surprised it even worked with the
version you had before. The catalog has changed a lot since then, and
the error you reported is pretty much exactly what you'd expect by using
an old pgAdmin with a new Postgres due to missing entries.

You might think about deleting the pgAdmin entry and re-entering it from
scratch to make sure all the settings are as you expect. There should be
some kind of hint from the database log, too.

--
Shaun Thomas
312-444-8534

Re: Multiple Cluster on same host

От
GMAIL
Дата:
Il 19/10/2012 16:33, Shaun Thomas ha scritto:

> If you don't get any error message from the client or the server, are
> you sure it didn't work?
>
> I only ask because 1.8 was so old, I'm surprised it even worked with
> the version you had before. The catalog has changed a lot since then,
> and the error you reported is pretty much exactly what you'd expect by
> using an old pgAdmin with a new Postgres due to missing entries.
>
> You might think about deleting the pgAdmin entry and re-entering it
> from scratch to make sure all the settings are as you expect. There
> should be some kind of hint from the database log, too.
if i connect with pgadmin from the host where i've created the two
clusters it does work
but if i connect from another pc, with pgadmin 1.16 or other software,
to the host with postgresql i get a "connection refused" message

Re: Multiple Cluster on same host

От
Shaun Thomas
Дата:
On 10/19/2012 09:38 AM, GMAIL wrote:

> but if i connect from another pc, with pgadmin 1.16 or other software,
> to the host with postgresql i get a "connection refused" message

Ok. That narrows it down slightly. If you check your PG logs for FATAL
messages, and you don't see anything complaining about pg_hba.conf not
having an entry for your host, it's probably a firewall issue.

For reference, the firewall can be anywhere between you and your host.
Try to ping the host and port where your PG server is running. If you
can't even get that far, I'd inquire to your Infrastructure department.

--
Shaun Thomas
312-444-8534

Re: Multiple Cluster on same host

От
GMAIL
Дата:
Il 19/10/2012 16:45, Shaun Thomas ha scritto:
> On 10/19/2012 09:38 AM, GMAIL wrote:
>
>> but if i connect from another pc, with pgadmin 1.16 or other software,
>> to the host with postgresql i get a "connection refused" message
>
> Ok. That narrows it down slightly. If you check your PG logs for FATAL
> messages, and you don't see anything complaining about pg_hba.conf not
> having an entry for your host, it's probably a firewall issue.
>
> For reference, the firewall can be anywhere between you and your host.
> Try to ping the host and port where your PG server is running. If you
> can't even get that far, I'd inquire to your Infrastructure department.

using ping i receive a connection timed out

Re: Multiple Cluster on same host

От
Shaun Thomas
Дата:
On 10/19/2012 09:52 AM, GMAIL wrote:

> using ping i receive a connection timed out

Yep. You've got a firewall between you and your server. Somewhere. Good
luck tracking that down, sir. Everything should clear up when/if that
gets resolved.

--
Shaun Thomas
312-444-8534

Re: Multiple Cluster on same host

От
GMAIL
Дата:
Il 19/10/2012 16:55, Shaun Thomas ha scritto:
> Yep. You've got a firewall between you and your server. Somewhere.
> Good luck tracking that down, sir. Everything should clear up when/if
> that gets resolved.
i think that the problem should be the service iptables.
what i have to change if i want to accept all request to the port 5433?

Re: Multiple Cluster on same host

От
Shaun Thomas
Дата:
On 10/19/2012 09:59 AM, GMAIL wrote:

> i think that the problem should be the service iptables.
> what i have to change if i want to accept all request to the port 5433?

iptables only affects the machine your server is running on. There can
be a firewall literally *anywhere* between your client and the host
server. You may need to search farther than the local server, especially
since I think you copied your firewall settings in the first message,
and they were all empty.

--
Shaun Thomas
312-444-8534

Re: Multiple Cluster on same host

От
Raymond O'Donnell
Дата:
On 19/10/2012 15:38, GMAIL wrote:
> Il 19/10/2012 16:33, Shaun Thomas ha scritto:
>>
>> If you don't get any error message from the client or the server, are
>> you sure it didn't work?
>>
>> I only ask because 1.8 was so old, I'm surprised it even worked with
>> the version you had before. The catalog has changed a lot since then,
>> and the error you reported is pretty much exactly what you'd expect by
>> using an old pgAdmin with a new Postgres due to missing entries.
>>
>> You might think about deleting the pgAdmin entry and re-entering it
>> from scratch to make sure all the settings are as you expect. There
>> should be some kind of hint from the database log, too.
> if i connect with pgadmin from the host where i've created the two
> clusters it does work
> but if i connect from another pc, with pgadmin 1.16 or other software,
> to the host with postgresql i get a "connection refused" message

Is the server actually listening on any interface other than localhost?
What's in the listen_addresses entry in postgresql.conf for the cluster
on port 5433?

Ray.

--
Raymond O'Donnell :: Galway :: Ireland